Author Topic: car boot sale  (Read 121440 times)

Offline howsitwork?

Re: car boot sale
« Reply #250 on: April 30, 2017, 05:16:20 PM »
Ray

You sharpen bandsaw blades  :bugeye:??? Are you sure you're not from Yorkshire originally  :lol: :lol:
?
currently aching having been mountain biking with kids. The 5.9mile route ( assured of that by youngest son) turned out to be 32Km up and down blasted hills in pine woods. Next time I check the map ! :Doh: :Doh: :Doh:

Beautiful views but 5.5hrs biking later followed by a 1 hr drive home I'm knackered. Hope your weekend went better and bargains were obtained? :wave:

I know I keep promising photos but the Nikon file size 24Mp is a bit big for display. I will try with the 5Mp pocket one tomorrow.

Burr is now 10" and 14" blanks ready to attack with the McNaughton when I feel brave. Stalled the lathe last time I used it on a 24" sycamore blank but have now up motored and up invertered lathe so here's hoping. :thumbup:

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #251 on: May 01, 2017, 03:32:04 AM »
Oi !

I AM from Yorkshire and I do have a special machine for sharpening band saw blades  :lol:

I bought it as junk out of curiosity to see how it works. The blade is held in a slot and as you operate the lever a triangular file goes across the teeth then on the backstroke the blade indexes on to the next tooth.

Probably intended for wood cutting coarse blades, and extremely old, possibly Victorian. I'll take a picture or two and post them up.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Ginger Nut

« Reply #252 on: May 01, 2017, 04:14:34 AM »
Ray

You sharpen bandsaw blades  :bugeye:??? Are you sure you're not from Yorkshire originally  :lol: :lol:
?
currently aching having been mountain biking with kids. The 5.9mile route ( assured of that by youngest son) turned out to be 32Km up and down blasted hills in pine woods. Next time I check the map ! :Doh: :Doh: :Doh:

Beautiful views but 5.5hrs biking later followed by a 1 hr drive home I'm knackered. Hope your weekend went better and bargains were obtained? :wave:

I know I keep promising photos but the Nikon file size 24Mp is a bit big for display. I will try with the 5Mp pocket one tomorrow.

Burr is now 10" and 14" blanks ready to attack with the McNaughton when I feel brave. Stalled the lathe last time I used it on a 24" sycamore blank but have now up motored and up invertered lathe so here's hoping. :thumbup:

Bloody cheek I'm Geordie through n through with tinge of Aussie after 55 yrs here. I'm 61.

The blade was for wood bandsaw Ian a 3tpi one I use the Dremel with a Pink Stone (I broke the Diamond one I had) and just skim the top edge to the leading point I often deepen the gullet to remove the waste better I do that about every 3rd sharpen IF the blade last that long. I used it today to cut some large Blue Gum blanks.

If i was doing a Metal bandsaw blade I'd possibly still use the dremel but would have to use either a fine off cut disc or a smaller diamond barrel type at 24tpi I haven't sharpened one yet they usually die first. :doh:

You beefed up the lathe?? Mine will turn 29" as it is not that I have gone over 18" as yet.

:lol: :jaw: I have ridden that far when younger much much younger. I can do 20mins on exercycle does that count  :scratch:

Just think it has extended your life span by 5 years.

Ian you need Irfanview  [urlhttp://www.irfanview.com/main_download_engl.htm[/url] free to download and use to shrink photos to size for forums etc BUT create and save these to separate area NEVER save over the old file.

Long Weekend in QLD Saturday trip 2hs north to Melaney Wood Show (google it) only spent $77 $25 on a 50mmx 800mm copper tube for model making, $50 on a small piece of red cedar 200x 160 x 1m, and $2 on some scrap off cuts these are Purple Gidgee, Rose Gum, Conkelberry an unknown dark bit. Sue wants drop spindle out of some, Ill use the rest for special projects such as small clock mounts and special tools. Met up with some woodies I know thats me in the wheelchair.
I drooled over some nice small burls this one was already finished.

Sunday quiet day recoverying from wheeling up and down hills at the show. Although late after lunch I had to prep a turning blank for mate coming on Monday.

Monday Richard (one on left in photo) arrived a long chat before testing out his new Hollowing tool for doing small  boxes. Then stuck into using that bandsaw to slice up more of the Blue Gum still wet inside. Got some nice turning blanks 10 1/2 dia by 3" and one 14" dia by 3" lost of others and plenty future tool handles.
He took us out for lunch only place open was the pub............I don't drink nor does he or ue  :beer:

Offline Ginger Nut

« Reply #253 on: May 01, 2017, 04:34:52 AM »
Oi !

I AM from Yorkshire and I do have a special machine for sharpening band saw blades  :lol:

I bought it as junk out of curiosity to see how it works. The blade is held in a slot and as you operate the lever a triangular file goes across the teeth then on the backstroke the blade indexes on to the next tooth.

Probably intended for wood cutting coarse blades, and extremely old, possibly Victorian. I'll take a picture or two and post them up.

Saw one at a swap meet price for both sharpener and set machine $600+ took this video

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #254 on: May 01, 2017, 06:27:26 AM »
To not divert this thread I've put up pictures here:

http://madmodder.net/index.php/topic,12116.0.html

Anyone wanting it just get in touch.

(link corrected)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 04:44:21 PM by awemawson »
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline howsitwork?

« Reply #255 on: May 01, 2017, 03:54:17 PM »
Andrew link doesn't seem to work?

Ian

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #256 on: May 01, 2017, 04:03:53 PM »
Worked for me using the internet viewer (you tube stopped working on mine)

Offline howsitwork?

« Reply #257 on: May 01, 2017, 04:10:36 PM »
Following nagging I am now going to try with this new I pad to put up a photo of a bargain from last week a small step type stand, already much used.

Here goes, also hopefully the  two large elm burr blanks I cut yesterday from a gift from a friend. Miss stated size yesterday Ray sorry both 12" dia  one is 4" the other I recon will go small or wild edge.

Regards Ian (fingers crossed)

Offline howsitwork?

« Reply #258 on: May 01, 2017, 04:11:24 PM »
It worked, a miracle!!!

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #259 on: May 01, 2017, 04:46:00 PM »
Andrew link doesn't seem to work?

Ian

Link corrected now Ian  :thumbup:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline howsitwork?

« Reply #260 on: May 01, 2017, 05:14:03 PM »
OOps !!!
Sorry Andrew, my apologies I thought as a moderator you'd moved rays photos of him and "the boys" to another page. Your link to saw blade sharpener worked perfectly. Just me being thick(er than normal) . :doh:

I can understand people sharpening large metal blades for donkey saws but bandsaw blades seems too much labour, unless you're miles from a new blade , its Sunday, you need to get it cut etc..OK Ray!
 :wave:

Overjoyed that I can now, using ipad get photos to work. :) :D

resizing shots from the Nikon was more hassle than it was worth so I'll use the pad from now on for net photos.

Offline Ginger Nut

« Reply #261 on: May 02, 2017, 07:40:38 PM »
In future I'll post wood stuff in wood I think even if bargain hunts???

Ian when the need calls I'll save $$ to spend on something else blades range from $20 through to $60 for the wood bandsaw the 3tpi is about $38 bi metal tungsten tip $45 my 1.3ti cost $60 its a mean basket and I use it only when I need to and I am in top form. Cutting the blue gum I should have but I am still trying to regain lost muscle use from the move its happening but slow...yeh yeh i need to be out there more I know LOL.

Like the fact you can now add photos at last  :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: just drink less scotch and wear ya glasses next time  :lol: focusing the ipad/tablet  takes a steady hand I know  :Doh:

Offline Symon

« Reply #262 on: May 04, 2017, 07:39:19 PM »
Are there any good GBS around the North East that have plenty of engineer's tools etc? It's expensive tooling up and would be nice to up my chances of a bargain :D

Offline howsitwork?

« Reply #263 on: May 07, 2017, 03:22:15 PM »
Now new gadget works just it time too. Today was a cold but successful raid, for six quid total

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #264 on: May 07, 2017, 03:24:07 PM »
That Carver welding clamp would be £50 at least on eBay  :jaw:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Ginger Nut

« Reply #265 on: May 07, 2017, 08:04:12 PM »
Nice score Ian :thumbup:

Offline one_rod

• Chesterfield, Derbyshire.
« Reply #266 on: May 08, 2017, 05:14:59 PM »
That Carver welding clamp would be £50 at least on eBay

A lot of people don't know what they are, or what they're worth, though.

A guy was selling four 600mm ones on a local CBS. Asked him how much, and he just said "make me an offer". More as a joke than anything I asked if he would take £10, (meaning £10 each!) expecting him to tell me where to go, or at least start haggling.

Instead, he stuffed all four in a bag and almost snatched a tenner off me. Seemed glad to be able to get that much for them.

Seems there are still bargains to be had out there.  :headbang:
"A season ticket for the one way ride..."

Offline howsitwork?

« Reply #267 on: July 01, 2017, 03:51:34 PM »
After a swift prompt by Ray

This was last week and this weekends haul. The nibbler cost me 80 . The spanners and grips cost me 9 so quite happy . The chess set was 3 .
 Regards Ian

Offline howsitwork?

« Reply #268 on: July 01, 2017, 03:57:06 PM »
Last week got a pressure cooker  for  use as a vacuum chamber 5 , and a record No 73 plane for 2 with 2 chisels to be repurposed for 1.
Need to do a bit of whorl on the plane as handles broken but with a replacement pin will work ok. Otherwise anyone any ideas where I can get a replacement handle for the No73?

Regards Ian

Offline Ginger Nut

« Reply #269 on: July 02, 2017, 02:04:24 AM »
 :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: I'd like to say it was the music making my head do that but alas a quiet Sunday afternoon and we have the Corrs playing.

Ian glad i stirred the pot cause it'll come in handy especially with the Bloodwood burl. I won't pinch the LOML''s I'll score one from markets  and then head down the same track.

That No73 plane I am envious but then again i have my No45 & 78 I'm on restoring.

Wish you lived up the street cause that nibbler would be tested thoroughly on a project I have to do making drip trays for the hall stand.

Now I/we are over the worst flu which lasted a month almost back to market shopping.

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #270 on: July 02, 2017, 10:17:28 AM »
Ian, nice plane! I can't comment on the handle, because your photos are so large I can only see a bit of the pic at a time without switching between scrolling the forum and the sliders.

Please, please, please reduce the size of your photos before posting them to the forum. Maximum 800 pixels wide. Yours are 3264 pixels wide. This means each one takes up sixteen times as much storage space on the server, and uses up 16 times the bandwidth.  Besides -- they will look better when displayed!  :thumbup:

:beer:
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline krv3000

« Reply #271 on: July 03, 2017, 02:09:06 PM »
hi all I have been going to boot sales but a part from the od file not had much look don't get me rong plenty of things there but wats bin turning up lately I all redy have 

Offline howsitwork?

« Reply #272 on: July 05, 2017, 05:17:13 PM »
But can you always find it when you want it 🤔🤔🤔🤔

I know what you mean though, sometimes you walk for the sake of walking and other times you really strike lucky.

Even the big boots like Sedgefield are sometimes a total waste of time !

Offline Pete W.

« Reply #273 on: July 06, 2017, 05:23:48 AM »
If the label on a thumbnail says it's wider than 900 I just don't bother to click on it these days. 
Best regards,

Pete W.

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, you haven't seen the latest design change-note!

Offline howsitwork?

« Reply #274 on: July 09, 2017, 12:11:13 PM »
Until I get the hang of photo size reduction I'll forgo the pics guys! :doh: sorry if it caused issues.

Today got a powder fire extinguisher for wife's  car for 3 as old one was effectively expired ! A chesterman 300mm rule and a decent Stanley knife for 1 plus a set of welding nozzle wires for 1 unused so was chuffed.

Also got a slik ball tripod head for 35  , not my best bargain but quite 👍