Author Topic: ...... use a taper reamer and set in taper pins?  (Read 3252 times)

Offline Eugene

...... use a taper reamer and set in taper pins?
« on: May 28, 2014, 04:26:04 AM »
I have a number of 1/2" thick cast iron change wheels that need to have a 3/16' tapered hole bodged through the wheel boss to receive new taper pins. I've never reamed anything before, so this is a learning path. I'll be doing the drilling on my lathe, but I'm quite happy to use a hand reamer. I'll do a few dummy runs first as I normally do with new jobs, I don't want to bugger up any precious wheels.

Is drilling a 1/8" hole and then going straight to the reamer OK? If not, what is the procedure?

The larger end of the taper pins need to sit flush or just below flush with the gear boss. Presumably the pin sets down a bit when you tap it in, but by how much? I note the pins have a rounded end; do you ream out until the shoulder of the pin is flush and then knock it in? The rise of the hemisphere from the shoulder looks to be about 1/16".

Just to be clear, the exit hole needs to be 1/8" dia.

Thanks in advance.

Eug

Offline BillTodd

• Colchester Essex (where the lathes were made)
Re: ...... use a taper reamer and set in taper pins?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 05:15:47 AM »
you normally drill the hole with two or more drills: stepping in size and depth with each drill. The depth and drill sizes are in the machinery's handbook but you should be able to find them online.

Bill