Author Topic: WW1 Soldier memorial sculpture in metal WoW !  (Read 9570 times)

Offline micktoon

WW1 Soldier memorial sculpture in metal WoW !
« on: June 04, 2014, 05:16:44 PM »
    Here is a link to an amazing sculpture I went to see in Seaham, beside Sunderland in North of the UK.
   Its been made by local artist Ray Lonsdale and all I can say its the best large scale metal art type sculpture I have even seen, what a shame this lad did not do the Angel of the North. It should really be doing a tour of the UK during the centenary year of the start of World War One so as many people as possible can see it. Well worth the trip to see if you are loacal or passing this way.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2643999/Sculpture-British-Tommy-reflecting-horrors-World-War-One-minute-peace-declared-installed-mark-centenary.html

Cheers Mick

Offline ieezitin

Re: WW1 Soldier memorial sculpture in metal WoW !
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 07:45:31 PM »
i am 52 years old. Members of my family died in that war as did the generation after, one grandfather for one. The figure of the sculpture says it all for both wars. A date which happens to be Friday this week makes my living grandfather (95 years) choke up, If only my children could see the world from his perspective.

thank you for sharing the link.

Anthony.
If you cant fix it, get another hobby.

Offline Kjelle

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 02:27:53 AM »
Thanksfor tha link Mick... Though a Swede, I have relatives (on my wife's side) that lost their lives in the struggle for freedom and independence...

Kjelle

Offline shipto

• Redditch, UK
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 09:03:02 AM »
brilliant! its good to see some well done thought provoking art getting the limelight for a change certainly beats a messy bed or sawn in half animals.
Turns out this life c**p is just one big distraction from death but a good one. For the love of god dont give yourself time to think.
https://myshedblog.wordpress.com/

Offline philf

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014, 04:51:39 PM »
Thanks Mick for posting the link.

It's an amazing sculpture and you really get a feeling of the pain and suffering many of the soldiers must have endured during the fighting and afterwards.

I wonder how the artist made the head? It doesn't appear to be made of welded pieces - maybe laminated?

My grandfather was in France in WW1. I never remember him talking about his experiences during the war - probably much too painful for him. He lost a son, my uncle Dennis, in WW2. He was a stoker in a minesweeper which struck a mine just by the harbour entrance to Mersa Matruh in the Med. I have the telegram my grandmother received informing her that he was "missing, presumed killed" - it always brings a lump to my throat when I think about him.

I noted from the article that the sculpture is only going to be on display in Seaham for 3 months. I do hope it will be going to a permanent home afterwards.

Phil.
Phil Fern

Offline Xldevil

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2014, 07:26:46 AM »
Thanksfor tha link Mick... Though a Swede, I have relatives (on my wife's side) that lost their lives in the struggle for freedom and independence...

Kjelle

Hello.
Don't want to be too political,but WW1 was rarely a strugggle for freedom and independence.
It has been a struggle of who is going to dominate the world.
Both sides have had their own capitalistic interests and had been willing to let millions die for it.
No side has been fighting for freedom.That's what the particular propaganda told the blind mass.
Cheers,Ralph

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2014, 08:08:54 AM »
Very poignant........

Thanks for showing, Mick!

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2014, 09:41:59 AM »
Lets keep this thread what it is about. The metal sculpture and who/what it represents. Please keep all politics and opinions of the war out of the thread.

Thanks for understanding.

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline micktoon

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2014, 06:16:57 PM »
Hi Phil ,
          The head is made from many plates cut in profiles and laminated together you can not see the welds from the outside but could be welded internally and under the helmet. It works well and will probably get better with ages as it rusts and all the edges blend to th eye.

Cheers Mick

Offline philf

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2014, 07:48:07 PM »
Hi Phil ,
          The head is made from many plates cut in profiles and laminated together you can not see the welds from the outside but could be welded internally and under the helmet. It works well and will probably get better with ages as it rusts and all the edges blend to th eye.

Cheers Mick

Thanks Mick,

That's what I guessed.

I wish I could get up there to see it but I doubt we will have an opportunity in the near future. I see that Seaham Town Council are paying a £20,000 deposit to try to secure its future once the 3 months is up? There's a Just Giving page ( http://www.justgiving.com/Mission1101 ) where, as of tonight, they've raised over £40,000 of the £85,000 necessary to buy it outright.

Cheers.

Phil.
Phil Fern

Offline philf

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2014, 06:26:57 AM »
Hi Phil ,

Cheers Mick

I've just found an excellent YouTube video where you can clearly see the way the head is done:

Phil.
Phil Fern

Offline ieezitin

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2014, 06:54:48 PM »
wow....

That's perfect. If I were a resident of the town i would feel privileged to have that poignant work of art local.

And my take on the artist is in fact he or she is a skillful fabricator in the metal trades. A bliss to the eyes to look at.

Anthony.
If you cant fix it, get another hobby.

Offline garym

• Manchester, England
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2014, 02:53:48 AM »
Fantastic sculpture, thanks for drawing it to our attention, Mick.

A bit more info here;

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/what-s-on/new-world-war-one-statue-for-seaham-seafront-1-6630051

Gary
Workshop activity resumes now ankle improving :-)