Author Topic: Ornamental Milling  (Read 10478 times)

Offline chipenter

Ornamental Milling
« on: June 21, 2014, 09:50:25 AM »
I watched a demo of ornamental turning at Sandown Park model engineering show last year , I liked the look of it but the lathes are out of my budget , had a go with a rotary table and some router cutters and a fly mill , this is a first attempt .
Jeff

Offline philf

Re: Ornamental Milling
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2014, 12:41:28 PM »
Jeff,

Looks excellent - well done.

I guess this took a long time. Did you have to lift the cutter, index the rotary table, drop the cutter etc etc?

Another thing to try on my CNC I think.

Phil
Phil Fern

Offline chipenter

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2014, 03:14:17 PM »
Indexed every 5 degrees it's a mill drill set the depth and pull the handel gives me another 1.5 mm , the sides just used the y axsis and my DRO , the clearing up took longer than making the bowl the sawdust floated every where .
Jeff

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2014, 10:12:07 PM »
Cool, Jeff!  :thumbup: :clap:
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline SwarfnStuff

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2014, 02:17:54 AM »
Really good Jeff.
   As to the dust getting everywhere, well they are called "FLY" cutters   :lol:  Not sure the real reason for the name but today I was cleaning up some brass with said cutter and spent more than a few minutes with the vac tryhing to clean the shop AND myself before coming inside.
John B
Converting good metal into swarf sometimes ending up with something useful. ;-)

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2014, 08:01:54 AM »
Jeff is that a router bit with a pilot that you used?

I was also wondering about burning since mill cranks move things slowly by comparison with a router in hand -- but quickly realized that a mill wouldn't run anywhere near the RPM of a router, so probably burning wouldn't be an issue?

Definitely cool!
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline Ginger Nut

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2014, 01:23:22 AM »
 :D Got my interest at the title straight off.

I spent a few years with the Ornamental Turners Group of Australia OTGA for short saw them at the Sydney Wood show in 2005 joined up 2 years latter. Totally enjoy it, have yet to build my Rose Engine not expensive to build at all. Similar to this.

Mind you I couldn't afford an OT lathe
http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_kw=Antique+Holtzapffel+Ornamental+Turning+Lathe+1860s

Love the cuts you have done I count 3 different types. ??

What was the wood?

Offline chipenter

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2014, 03:16:35 AM »
The wood was an off cut from an Oak kitchen worktop , I have an idea for a Rose head for the mill on slides but it's just a sketch at the moment , I missed the bottom photo on the first post , definetly tacktile .
Jeff

Offline Ginger Nut

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2014, 07:44:35 PM »
Oak well thats interesting.

Close grained timbers are usually better although I have used for demo purpose at shows what ever is available including Douglas Fur/Oregon even radiata pine for test cuts.

Old Biker Mark built this unit http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/remark/pages/hobbies/ornamental/ornamental.html

Offline micktoon

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2014, 06:10:42 AM »
Hi Ray , thanks for posting the link , very interesting and the items made look very impressive. Type of thing I woukd like to have a go at I  the future.............. once my to do list is done  :palm:

cheers Mick

Offline Ginger Nut

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2014, 10:45:22 PM »
Hi Ray , thanks for posting the link , very interesting and the items made look very impressive. Type of thing I woukd like to have a go at I  the future.............. once my to do list is done  :palm:

cheers Mick

Mick I know what you mean thats why my Rose Engine isn't built yet along with new ideas which come into making it either from me or others :Doh:

Offline Kenne

• Some days it's "Diamonds" , Some days it's rocks
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2014, 01:03:22 AM »
last Christmas My wife asked if I could come up with some sort of Candlestick for her women's club dinner  , the Dinner was on the 21st , she asked on the 19th  :doh: This is what I came up with , made from 1" hot roll stock , I spent a few hours on this with a few different tools and very little imagination . A constant reminder of the number of things one can find to do , in a pinch ...... :D
Some days it's "Diamonds" , Some days it's rocks

Offline Ginger Nut

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2014, 08:24:40 PM »
 :thumbup:

Almost looks like glass

Yes I know the feeling.........dear can you fix,turn, make blah blah blah by Friday.........and its Wednesday night. :coffee:

Offline micktoon

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2014, 04:03:54 AM »
Wednesday night ....................... its normally Friday morning in my case lol  :bugeye: :lol:

Cheers Mick