Author Topic: My first attempt at Pen Turning w/pics!!  (Read 7385 times)

Offline ddoyle

• If it aint broke.....It will be!!!!
My first attempt at Pen Turning w/pics!!
« on: June 29, 2014, 12:02:27 AM »
Well...unfortunately I opend and read the Pen Turning thread in the Gallery section here, and became curious about the pen turning hobby.  Mind you, I have only owned a lathe of any type for about 6-8 weeks now and it is a Harbor Frieght 7x10 mini lathe. So...I figured why not, I ordered up a few different pen blanks and a couple pen kits and all the necessary items needed to make it happen, and well...tonight I finally got around to "making it happen" and here you see the final results.  This is also the first piece of wood I have ever turned lol...I know, it isn't a big piece of wood, but it stayed together and done what I wanted it to do.  Needless to say...I'M ADDICTED!!!!!  :doh:   :mmr:

Offline SwarfnStuff

Re: My first attempt at Pen Turning w/pics!!
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 02:14:14 AM »
Enjoy your addiction, Good job too.
John B
Converting good metal into swarf sometimes ending up with something useful. ;-)

Offline Ginger Nut

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 03:29:10 AM »
Firstly let me say what a great job, a lovely pen kit (where from as never seen this one before?) Great choice of timber and blank looks great too ?? something Ebony?

Its a terrible addiction believe me mine started because the wife bought her self the gear to use on MY mini Jet wood lathe, she turned a doz pens and went back to her spinning and weaving. She however had bought a fountain pen kit to make for our daughter who then chose an acrylic blank month later. Time past and daughter became aware mum wasn't going to get to make the damn pen as LOML had a very fine Merino and Silk shawl to make. Wood turning roughs up the hands some what so guess who got the job.  :doh:
Thats was 4 yrs ago  :Doh:

Offline ddoyle

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2014, 05:21:50 AM »
Firstly let me say what a great job, a lovely pen kit (where from as never seen this one before?) Great choice of timber and blank looks great too ?? something Ebony?

Its a terrible addiction believe me mine started because the wife bought her self the gear to use on MY mini Jet wood lathe, she turned a doz pens and went back to her spinning and weaving. She however had bought a fountain pen kit to make for our daughter who then chose an acrylic blank month later. Time past and daughter became aware mum wasn't going to get to make the damn pen as LOML had a very fine Merino and Silk shawl to make. Wood turning roughs up the hands some what so guess who got the job.  :doh:
Thats was 4 yrs ago  :Doh:

Thanks for the compliments.....I ordered my stuff from http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/.  The wood is macassar ebony and the pen kit is the Nouveau Sceptre Rhodium/Gold kit.  I also have a cigar kit that I am gonna do in cocobolo.  The kit I got has the gunmetal accents...hope it looks ok with the cocobolo wood.

Offline Ginger Nut

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2014, 10:49:49 PM »
Thanks for the reply

Offline Chuck in E. TN

• USAF Retired
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 10:03:41 AM »
Looks good, Dickey!
When I get back, I'll dig you out some Bradford Pear pieces I have out in the shed. I saved them from a tree in my yard I lost to a snow storm. White/cream colored wood with nice figure where the leaf nodes were. That's what the file handles I showed you were made from.
Not as exotic as your pen bit I like it.
Chuck
Chuck in E. TN
Famous TN last words: "Hey ya'll, watch this..."
MicroMark 7x14, HF X2 mill, Green 4x6 saw. Harbor Freight 170A mig

Offline texta

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2014, 05:59:03 PM »
good job mate . it does get you in this pen turning caper .
just thought i would tell you i am in australia and i use one supplier here and also one in the states ( i have tried quite a few suppliers over the last 5 years or so) for most of my stuff the guy i use in the states i find very good and that is guy .............http://www.beartoothwoods.com/catalog/

johno

Offline ddoyle

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2014, 07:01:33 PM »
good job mate . it does get you in this pen turning caper .
just thought i would tell you i am in australia and i use one supplier here and also one in the states ( i have tried quite a few suppliers over the last 5 years or so) for most of my stuff the guy i use in the states i find very good and that is guy .............http://www.beartoothwoods.com/catalog/

johno

texta....I just actually was checking his site out earlier today....I may have to give him a try :)

Offline ddoyle

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2014, 07:02:25 PM »
Looks good, Dickey!
When I get back, I'll dig you out some Bradford Pear pieces I have out in the shed. I saved them from a tree in my yard I lost to a snow storm. White/cream colored wood with nice figure where the leaf nodes were. That's what the file handles I showed you were made from.
Not as exotic as your pen bit I like it.
Chuck

I was wanting some lighter colored wood to try one with...when will you be back in from your trip??