Author Topic: Which way up.  (Read 2487 times)

Offline RussellT

Which way up.
« on: July 17, 2014, 06:27:29 AM »
I thought this was straightforward.  I have a small hand axe and the head has been loose for as long as I can remember (at least 45 years).  I decided to replace the handle and now I've taken the head off I'm puzzled.  I've always thought that you put the handle in the small end of the eye and then spread it using wedges - and that's how I've always done it before.

Here's a picture showing the eye dimensions.

I'd be grateful for other thoughts or opinions.

Russell
Common sense is unfortunately not as common as its name suggests.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Re: Which way up.
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 06:42:43 AM »
The sticky out bit of the head is towards the handle so as you arc downwards so that the handle is below horizontal the blow is struck level.

Usually the opening for the halft is equal sized from both sides, but tapers smaller in the middle - so you insert a VERY DRY new tapered handle from one side, then open up the outer side with the wedge. Then wet the end to swell the wood.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline RussellT

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 12:50:00 PM »
Thanks Andrew

I agree completely about the shape of the head and having read your post I rushed off to look at the inside of the socket.  I rolled a bit of silver steel around inside it to work out the internal shape.

From the small end of the handle hole, the hole is parallel sided for about 1/3 of the length and then opens out to the larger end.

The bit I don't understand is that if you put it on the handle as you suggest (and I agree) - then there is no taper to secure the head by spreading the end of the handle.   :scratch: :scratch: :scratch:

Of course that may be why it's always been loose. :lol: :lol:

Russell
Common sense is unfortunately not as common as its name suggests.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 01:55:36 PM »
The more modern ones seem to be wedged and then epoxy glued
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex