Author Topic: Mini Bow Saw  (Read 4796 times)

Offline Meldonmech

Mini Bow Saw
« on: July 22, 2014, 01:07:56 PM »
Hi Guys

I was working on another project at the time, and the material I wanted to cut would not fit on the band saw due to the restrictions of the throat.  Looking at all the other options, I decided to build a mini bow saw.  I have had a need for a saw of this type many times in the past, so out came the sketch pad, and I put some ideas down on paper while half watching TV.
     I had a nice piece of beech that came from an old upholstered chair, that we scrapped.  I remembered it was in the garage somewhere in the timber store.  Next morning nice and early, I went straight to where I new where I had put it, and two hours later I found it somewhere else.  Feeling this was not going to be a good day for practical work, it was off to the drawing board where I completed a reasonable drawing, which I printed and stuck onto card. The the shapes were cut out to form templates to be later used on the prepared timber.

Offline Meldonmech

Re: Mini Bow Saw
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 01:24:52 PM »
The saw was designed to take junior hacksaw blades which of course can be wood or metal cutting, and coping saw blades can also be accommodated.  The shapes for the legs were marked out on the timber which had been planed to size, then cut out on the band saw.  Mortice, and tenon joints were made to hold the cross piece in place, and a tensioning lever produced. The whole frame was then finish shaped using hand tools.
          A handle was turned to enable the blade to be rotated.

Offline Meldonmech

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 01:28:30 PM »
A handle was turned for the main holding of the saw on the opposite side. The brass blade holders were turned in the lathe, then slotted.

Offline Meldonmech

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 01:33:15 PM »
The saw was then assembled and tensioned using plastic string.
                        The saw works very well and I wish I had made one sooner. 

I really enjoyed this little project.

Cheers David

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 02:02:31 PM »
Beautiful job David!  A classic looking bow saw. :bow: :bow: :clap: :clap:
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 02:28:37 PM »
That's a work of art David - I wish I had the patience (and time) to finish things so nicely - and it's a tool that will be useful for many years to come as well as looking good.  :thumbup:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 02:32:48 PM »
David

Looks like you made a very nice job on that bow saw. I am sure that you will get lots of use from it over the years in both metal and wood.

Thanks for sharing it with us.  :D :D

Cheers  :beer:

Don

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline modelman1938

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2014, 05:05:38 PM »
I remember these from my school days but never had call to use one, but the other day I did so borrowed one from a friend. An absolute joy to use and knocked spots off any powered jig saw.

Hugh

Offline Meldonmech

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2014, 01:28:39 AM »
Hi Guys

Thanks for all your comments.

Cheers David

Offline Ginger Nut

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2014, 02:23:03 AM »
 :thumbup: looks like a bought one but better.

Its something in the planning dept or is that long list of RTI's