Author Topic: Saddle Stop for Raglan 5inch Lathe  (Read 6185 times)

Offline Meldonmech

Saddle Stop for Raglan 5inch Lathe
« on: July 26, 2014, 01:59:49 AM »
Hi Guys

This lathe I bought came without a saddle stop, and after a period of time trying to purchase one unsuccessfully, decided to make one of my own design. I searched my metal store and found some odd pieces of 1/4 inch steel plate, and other odds and ends. Next came the measuring, this involved of recording the sizes of the distances from the top and edge of the front bed shear, to the apron trigger plunger.

Offline chipenter

Re: Saddle Stop for Raglan 5inch Lathe
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 02:18:35 AM »
The clubs got a mark one Little John , and thats has left and right stops that work realy well .
Jeff

Offline Meldonmech

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2014, 02:25:56 AM »
Off to the drawing board where I produced a full size side view sketch of the saddle stop.

Cheers for now  David

Offline Meldonmech

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2014, 07:12:35 AM »
Hi Jeff

I had a mark one Little John Lathe before the Raglan 5inch, it had lots of use during the 20 years I used it. It was not until I saw a friends Raglan 5 inch that I knew I had to have one.

Cheers  David

Offline Meldonmech

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2014, 03:20:28 AM »
Hi Guys

I took a print off the sketch and stuck it onto two thicknesses of 1/4inch steel plate held together with finger clamps.  The holes were then drilled and the plates bolted together.  They then remained together while machining to shape. The central block was was then machined to shape.  The parts are shown in the pic.1. The pics 2 and 3 show the saddle stop on the lathe.  It functions very well and I have been satisfied with its performance.

Cheers David

Offline DMIOM

• Isle of Man
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2014, 03:37:50 AM »
David,

I don't know your lathe, or what force your stop needs to take - but I just wonder if it might be worth considering fitting a calibrated adjuster instead of just a plain stop?

Dave

Offline chipenter

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2014, 09:01:43 AM »
Those lathes are brilliant instant stop on the feed , the factory one are cast my friends hase been welded more than once .
Jeff

Offline Meldonmech

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2014, 10:56:41 AM »
Hi Dave

The earlier Little John Lathes did have a big problem due to the trigger stopping mechanism sticking. This resulted in shear pins being broken, and hand traversing rack pinions having teeth sheared off, and other nasty incidents involving chucks and tooling. As a result, Raglan were heavily criticized by the users, which resulted in them redesigning the mechanism to be instantly  positive. It was fitted to the Raglan 5inch Lathe, and has proven to be one of the best designs ever, and it has performed faultlessly for me.

Cheers David

Offline Meldonmech

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2014, 11:04:18 AM »
Hi Jeff

Yes the saddle stop was an iron casting, but from my experience I would be surprised if your friends saddle stop was broken during normal use. If it had been dropped, or something had fallen against it, I think that would be more Likely.

Cheers David

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2014, 08:09:22 PM »
Nice job, David!  :thumbup:
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline Meldonmech

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2014, 08:00:05 AM »

Thanks guys for all your comments.

Cheers  David

Offline chipenter

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2014, 09:59:03 AM »
He probebly broke it screw cutting but I seen the way he wizes the caridge along setting up . he's had it from new .
Jeff