Author Topic: Adventures in old 80s computers.  (Read 27527 times)

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Re: Adventures in old 80s computers.
« Reply #50 on: August 09, 2014, 05:02:35 AM »

Being born in the early 1970s, I missed the so-called "golden era" of computers that some of the old fogies here will rattle on about from their comfy chairs.... punch cards, paper tape, etc. Golden era my ar*e  :lol:

You're barely dry behind the ears then Ade  :lol:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #51 on: August 09, 2014, 05:57:47 AM »
I will take that as a compliment - one has to take everything one can get at my age  :D
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline DavidA

« Reply #52 on: August 09, 2014, 06:05:05 AM »
In the eighties Bradford College was still using punched paper tape to feed the Bridgeport in the engineering department.

My earliest data storage was on audio tape cassettes. Do I miss that 'Screeeee' of data transfer ?  No ,  not really.

Dave.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #53 on: August 09, 2014, 06:25:07 AM »
My first NC (not CNC) was a Moog Hydrapoint 1000. It used paper tape (or console) input but used air blown through the holes to read the tape !

No balls screws, or feed screws of any kind, positioning was done by hydraulic servos, there were binary coded sliding steel plates, the code being detailed by holes in the plates. The servo system homed in on the one hole that lined up through all the plates. Plate positions were set up with pneumatic activators through the paper tape, or air switches on the console.

My crowning achievement with it was to make a PC parallel port to 24 bit pneumatic interface using pneumatic pilot valves to mimic the paper tape (which was read in three stripes at a time hence 24 bits).

When I got it the free standing console umbilical cables had been separated from the machine by hack saw. They were 3" flexible conduit packed with 3 mm nylon pneumatic pipe. All the same colour and no documentation  :bang: Got there in the end.

Like the picture below, but mine had a tool changer carousel.

Did I say I like a challenge  :ddb:
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 01:07:02 PM by awemawson »
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #54 on: August 09, 2014, 12:30:26 PM »
I'm sensing a certain parallel theme, Andrew, dating back a long way prior to the Traub.  :dremel:

I think you ought to quickly grab the domain name LazarusCNC.com and open for business!
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #55 on: August 09, 2014, 01:05:47 PM »
Steve, I just think it says 'MUG' across my forehead. I see these insoluble problems and convince myself that they are soluble given a bit of head scratching  :lol:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex