Author Topic: Digital Angle Gauge  (Read 4441 times)

Offline Meldonmech

Digital Angle Gauge
« on: July 31, 2014, 02:45:06 PM »
Hi Guys

Can anyone advise, has bought, has experience in the use of a Digital Angle Gauge.  I think my main usage would be in setting up milling operations.     

Cheers David

Offline tom osselton

Re: Digital Angle Gauge
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 04:11:47 PM »
I just used mine the other day basicaly for the first time on the mill just put it on the mills table zero'd it and set the piece to the desired angle  works great! So I guess we can now say "dam the torpedo's"  :D

Offline BillTodd

• Colchester Essex (where the lathes were made)
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 05:07:18 PM »
I bought one a while ago. I checked it against a sinebar and it seem pretty accuate well  within ±1lsd.

Bill

Offline mosey

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 06:18:39 PM »
I use my IPhone program called Setsquare. Very accurate but awkward to handle the phone around machines. The proce is right though, $0.0
Mosey

Offline ImIndoors

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2014, 10:54:15 AM »
I have a Wixey angle gauge which I use mainly for mill set ups.  As Tom says, I set it on the table and zero it and then it's good to go.  Mine has a flip out display and a magnetic base which make it easy to use on ferrous work pieces.  I also use it on the side of the mill head if I want to set that over (but use a tramming tool when putting it back).  A very useful little tool.  :thumbup:
Jim

Offline mechman48

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2014, 01:39:31 PM »
Have one of those too; flip out screen & magnetic base, as Tom & ImIndoors say, set it on table  & away you go... simples... :ddb:
George
George.

Always look on the bright side of life, & remember.. KISS..' Keep It Simple Stupid'

Offline Jonny

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2014, 03:32:57 PM »
David I bought one of these a few years ago lot better than mentioned above http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Smart-Level-Digital-Protractor-Inclinometer-Laser-Angle-/330431193494?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cef3be196 Ignore the price.

I bought it for sole purpose of setting precision machinings at a specific angle within seconds to machine opposite side.
Though can be zeroed on table setting remotely accurate is a tall order. Fractional touches on workpiece you want to move in seconds not minutes or degrees send it a mile and too hard to control. Far easier and more accurate going against the grain working out the tilt by maths and trial and error taking a cut.
Flat surfaces are the worst with no runout guaranteed but place unit on different areas and get different measurements. Placing on round bar a lot better.
Best part is USB  charging and the laser.
If doing aluminium work forget it. Give you some idea of what s going on lightly press down on one side or end of the unit, watch it read different without job deflecting, that should tell you something.

Offline Meldonmech

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2014, 12:22:18 PM »

Hi Guys

Thanks for all your comments, they will certainly be helpful in determining which type to purchase.

Cheers David

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2014, 01:35:47 AM »
My friend bought cheap dicital proctractor from Lidle and was very disapointed. It didn't show acute angles and real acuracy was too small for setup.

It's not this one, but this type:
http://www.busybeetools.com/products/DIGITAL-PROTRACTOR-8IN.-WIXEY.html

How accurate these square digital angle gauges areally are? Are there definate differences between different makes/models?

Pekka

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2014, 03:11:04 AM »
This is the one I bought from busy bee I've found it to be quite good.
 http://www.busybeetools.com/products/DIGITAL-ANGLE-PROTRACTOR.html

Offline Noitoen

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2014, 05:36:15 AM »
There is a Android application "Clinometer" that works ok. http://madmodder.net/index.php/topic,9842.msg110073.html#msg110073 reply#4