The Craftmans Shop > Model Engineering

Side Valve i.c. engine from Bar stock

(1/49) > >>

Brian Rupnow:
My current quest is to design and build a simple one cylinder, four cycle engine from barstock--(no castings). I am in the very early stages of design for this engine, and as it comes a bit clearer to me I will post my progress. The biggest stumbling block on an engine of this type is the complex machining required on the cylinder/valve body. I hope to simplify this by making the cylinder and valve body in two separate easy to machine pieces. This is where I am, so far.---Brian
Still thinking---

dickda1:
Yes,  please keep us updated

Brian Rupnow:
My mind and computer take me to strange places----

Brian Rupnow:
Not there yet, but slowly getting all the parts in---

Brian Rupnow:
I think this could work---The cyan blue backplate would be 3/8" steel with 3 steel stub shafts welded into it. It would attach with 6 bolts and two locating dowels (not shown) to the dark green spacer bar, which is itself bolted and dowelled to the aluminum crankcase. The gears and cams might be machined from bronze or cast iron, something with enough lubricity that they can rotate on the fixed shafts without galling. The con rod has sealed needle bearings in both ends, the dark blue half of the split crankshaft has two sealed ball bearings supporting the end where the flywheel goes. The "follower half" of the split crankshaft would run in bronze bushings. The blue bridge which spans across the top of the aluminum crankcase is the tappet guide, and could be aluminum.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version