Author Topic: Back from the Dead !  (Read 4318 times)

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Back from the Dead !
« on: August 02, 2014, 08:24:15 AM »
When I was doing some heavy welding recently, my Butters AMT 3205 MIG welder decided to play up - the gas solenoid was going all the time. Gas valve is in the remote WF2 wire feeder.

So today it came to the top of the list to sort out
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Re: Back from the Dead !
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2014, 08:33:09 AM »
Opened it up, and looked at the valve - just check is it permanently being powered, or is the valve stuck.

Ah - fault symptoms - what fault symptoms  :bang: You guessed it - fault gone. Now it could just have been a bit of muck jamming the valve, or the electronics could have been driving it, but no telling now .

So I decided to get a spare valve and keep it in the wire feeder as a spare, but what threads and what voltage coil? Coil is easy, having pulled it out it's marked as 42V AC - a bit odd but that's what it says. The threads - female both end - first glance say 1/8" BSP, but when I measure the male spigot screwed into one of them it is spot on 0.375" ie 3/8" with 28tpi - but 1/8" BSP is 0.385" major diameter.

So I reckon we have a rather bad fitting 1/8" BSP - anyway that's what's on order  :scratch:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Bluechip

• Madmodder Committee
  • Derbyshire UK
Re: Back from the Dead !
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2014, 09:57:52 AM »

Coil is easy, having pulled it out it's marked as 42V AC - a bit odd but that's what it says.

When I was a small but beautiful trainee  :palm: EE the then standard for a 'harmless' voltage was 60 VDC. IIRC.

It would give you a nibble but not likely to write you off. Probably changed now.

So, 42VAC x root2 is just about 60V Pk.

I do remember 42VAC relays and solenoids etc. and some small AC motors were 42VAC so maybe not as exotic as you might think ...

I have a very vague memory of the spool feed motors on some welding kit being 42VAC .. but perhaps mistaken ... looooong time ago .. before lunch ..  :loco:

Dave
I have a few modest talents. Knowing what I'm doing isn't one of them.