Author Topic: Making a milling vice  (Read 32969 times)

Online NormanV

• United Kingdom
Making a milling vice
« on: August 09, 2014, 12:07:33 PM »
Having completed my milling machine I felt that the next thing to make was a milling vice. Like the milling machine I'll be using aluminium castings. This is a simple project, it only requires two castings.
This is the dreadful sketch that I made as preparation for the build.

Offline tom osselton

Re: Making a milling vice
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2014, 12:11:18 PM »
Some of the best design's started on a napkin!

Online NormanV

• United Kingdom
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2014, 12:14:23 PM »
The patterns are very simple, but when I first tried to mould the sand for the moving jaw the sand in the recess broke away. To solve the problem I drilled a hole through the top of the pattern so that I could poke through the pattern onto a piece of cardboard that would help to release the pattern.

Online NormanV

• United Kingdom
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2014, 12:18:10 PM »
Of course when I tried again it released perfectly!
Here is the casting for the moving jaw. I was eager to get it cast today as the weather forecast for the next few days is not good as we will be receiving the remains of an "American" hurricane passing over UK.
A chunk of sand fell out but it does not matter as all surfaces will be machined.
I will be able to machine it whilst waiting for the weather to improve so that I can cast the body of the vice.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2014, 01:10:48 PM »
Norman,

Do you want any more sodium silicate? I came across another drum of it during a clear up the other day.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Arbalist

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2014, 01:34:04 PM »
Your casting skills are becoming legendary Norman! Nice work.  :thumbup:

Online NormanV

• United Kingdom
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2014, 02:48:41 PM »
Thank you Arbalist, but if you look at the surface finish that Steve (vtsteam) gets on his castings you can see that I have a long way to go.

Online NormanV

• United Kingdom
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2014, 04:47:50 AM »
Hi Andrew, that is kind of you to offer me some more. Yes, I would like some, it worked very well with the cores that I made. In fact I still have one sitting on the shelf in perfect condition, I thought that it might degrade over time.
Thank you.
Norman

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2014, 05:24:01 AM »
I'll see what I can find by way of a bottle
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Arbalist

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2014, 07:32:42 AM »
The square lug design looks the same as my Far East milling vice and seems to work fine.
My old Abwood vice was dovetailed though which is perhaps better?

Online NormanV

• United Kingdom
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2014, 08:57:02 AM »
I'm sure that the square slide will be ok, I just have to make sure that there is no play to allow the moving jaw to lift. I suspect that a little play sideways will not be a problem, in fact it should allow the jaws to grip parallel if my machining is not perfect.

Online NormanV

• United Kingdom
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2014, 03:30:23 PM »
I've started machining the casting. Mounting it was the first problem as not having a vice already meant that I needed to find another way to do it. I drilled and tapped the holes that will eventually be used to fix the clamps that fit on the slide. I used these holes to mount the casting onto two flat bars 40 x 6mm and then was able to bolt the bars down to the table.
I've partly machined the bottom of the casting and the milling machine is working nicely, it is quiet and rigid and giving a good finish.

Online NormanV

• United Kingdom
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2014, 08:38:07 AM »
Whooo! I just had a bit of excitement. I am about to cast the main body of the vice. I'd lit the furnace with it's load of aluminium and gone into the workshop to tidy up when I noticed that the roar of the furnace had stopped. It is quite breezy today so I guessed that the wind had blown it out. I went to go outside to turn off the gas and purge it before relighting it when there was a load bang and it relit itself. I'm glad that I wasn't standing over it! There was no harm done and it now has a wind shield around it.

Online NormanV

• United Kingdom
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2014, 10:34:06 AM »
Well that was a disappointment, the moulding of the sand went well, likewise the pour. When I opened the mould I got quite a shock. The surface finish of the casting was amongst the best I have had, nice and smooth and no corners broken away. I had gated it from the ends so as to avoid too much hacksawing, I expected some shrinkage on the tops of the end blocks and allowed extra material to cover it. But, when I turned it over I was greeted by a large amount of shrinkage and the metal had torn apart on the inside corners!
Well it's back in the pot tomorrow, weather permitting, and I'll gate it from the tops of the blocks, I might try to extend the gates in order to get a larger head of metal to reduce shrinkage.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2014, 11:30:21 AM »
Norman,

I would have poured that shape in the vertical, gating from the bottom and left a thickness for machining off the top. I know it means a custom cope & drag  :wave:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2014, 12:24:05 PM »
Forgive my opinion here, too Norman, and take with a grain of salt.... I like the horizontal layout okay, and the bed is important to preserve clean compared to the ends -- keeping that part low in the mold helps.

I think gating the sprue high up will wash sand down the ends during the pour, so I like the low gating as well.

You just basically need to feed metal into the inside corners during solidification so I'd try a bigger  riser off the edge at that corner, and thicker than the upright is --maybe even a blind riser -- like a ball of styrofoam. The riser has to solidify last, so needs to be thick.

Sharp Inside corners in massive casts tend to tear like that since they solidify last, and the leg and main base tend to pull metal away from it while soft.

It helps if there's a radiuus there instead of a sharp corner, even if you machine it off afterwards.

Also a bevel on the outside corner can help.

Also the present sprue and riser look small. They should normally be larger in cross section than the largest thickness you are feeding -- which looks like the bottom of the uprights. That way they hopefully won't solidify before the corner does and can keep feeding iliquid metal.

I know just a bunch of suggestions, but some or one of them might help.

Your base does look good!

I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Online NormanV

• United Kingdom
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2014, 01:56:14 PM »
Thank you Andrew and Steve for your suggestions. I think that I will keep it horizontal for the next try. I'll add fillets to the corners and make the header and riser bigger. Funnily enough I did not have any problems like this with the much larger castings for the milling machine and I used the same size header and riser for those as I have here. I am sure that the gates between these and the body of the casting are too small as I was trying to keep the metal section small so as to reduce the hacksawing needed, my angle grinder is bust!

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2014, 03:19:56 PM »
I kept a pile of baked bean tins with both ends removed in my foundry. Ram them up tight with floor sand, then press a piece of 1.5" copper pipe through them, and hey-presto you have a taller riser. I used to sculpt them at the upper end to a funnel shape with one of my moulding tools, and place them on the cope over the existing pour and riser, putting a little sand round them to seat nicely.

It also had the side effect of producing useful bars of the alloy for either machining or testing
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Online NormanV

• United Kingdom
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2014, 04:08:14 PM »
I have already prepared some cans for tomorrow!

Online NormanV

• United Kingdom
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2014, 05:31:20 AM »
Here is the reworked pattern. I've done it quite crudely but I am sure that it will be OK as I intend to machine it all over. I've put in quite large fillets where I had the splits and added a block at each end for the gates. I have made patterns for the header and riser to mould in situ. I normally cut them with a piece of steel tube about
1 1/4" diameter. I will also raise the height with two cans as suggested by Andrew.

Online NormanV

• United Kingdom
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2014, 06:51:24 AM »
As I suspected, even though the pattern is a bit rough it moulded up OK. Here is the flask set ready for pouring. I am now waiting for the aluminium to melt.

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2014, 07:05:42 AM »
Good morning Norman!

I meant small radiused fillets -- just a wipe of body putty on the old pattern, and chamfering the outer corner to reduce mass at the joint.

The ends are pretty massive now, and even thicker at the base than the new thicker sprue and riser.

My guess is that the joint will continue to stay liquid internally longer  than any other part of the pour.

You really hope the sprue and riser are the last to solidify so that they can feed everything else.

But maybe it will work. As Bohr said, prediction is difficult, especially about the future.

I hope for a good part!  :thumbup:
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Online NormanV

• United Kingdom
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2014, 08:04:44 AM »
Oh! I totally misunderstood you. The internal corners were already filleted with body putty, there were no sharp corners. I couldn't chamfer the outside corners as that is quite an important part of the base. I'm going to knock it out in a few minutes and then we will know what the outcome is.

Online NormanV

• United Kingdom
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2014, 08:24:56 AM »
It turned out fine. There is a little shrinkage at one end but that will be machined out. There are no cracks.
The header has suffered enormous shrinkage, right back down inside the tin can. The top of it can barely seen in the second photo.

Offline mattinker

« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2014, 08:30:09 AM »
Nice to see this coming along, Casting is such a buzz!

Regards, Matthew