Author Topic: Cabinets for tooling - restoration  (Read 20635 times)

Offline PekkaNF

Re: Cabinets for tooling - restoration
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2014, 03:40:03 AM »
Looks really nice.

What paint, gun and setting you used? Normal fogger or HVLP?

How did the inside corners go, I always have trouble with them.

I like light colors inside the cabinets, othervice is too damn gloomy to find anything without good light.

Pekka

Offline micktoon

« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2014, 04:16:28 AM »
Hi Pekka, the spray set up is normal Devilbliss JGA type gun at about 60 psi I think , to be honest I just alter settings until it feels right, the paint is 2 pack primer which sprays on nice and 'wet' so goes into the corners quite well. Something I have found to work quite well is to turn the pressure down a bit and close the fan pattern down on the gun so its more of a large spot you are spraying and go around the corners first as it will not blow back as much so will go into the corners, once you have them done put your settings back to normal and spray the rest sort of ignoring the corners. The corners will already be covered and the surrounding paint should do the remaining surfaces and blend into the corners. Hope this helps.

Cheers Mick

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2014, 06:16:15 AM »
Thank you, That helps a lot.

You have a really nice gun. It's real HVLP, isn't it?
http://www.devilbiss.com/products/spray-guns/manual-spray-guns/hvlp/jga-510-suction-feed

Heard nice things about it.

I still have old school paint gun that needs a lot of fiddiling with fan control to spray well corners. I normaly start with hose pressure 3 bars (closer to 2 bars on gun after watertrap, hose, connectors and such), adjust the fan until get right "look". You are right on inside corners, but on old gun when you reduce fan you get really big droplets flung on surface, I need to get down on pressure and such....

Pekka

Offline micktoon

« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2014, 10:14:27 AM »
 Hi Pekka, Yes that looks like the one, as you can see mine is an old one , I think I will have had it 25 years, the needle and air cap do make a difference, I have three guns two like this one and one is a blantant copy of this gun with no name on it but still is a good gun. That one his used for primer and has standard needle and air cap, this one is for top coat and has standard needle but alternative air cap that gives finer particles in the spray ( its in the pot steeping , in storage ) the third one is for metalics and has another diffrent needle in it but uses the same air cap as the top coat one.
  I was recommended these set ups years ago from a paint sprayer and it seems to work well, I used to get too much orange peel effect on the top coat and patchiness on metalics until I used these needles and air caps.

hope this helps you

Cheers Mick

Offline micktoon

« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2014, 10:49:41 AM »
Well the top coat is on.......John will be gutted but its Machine Green not grey :bugeye: , I have most shelves , cupboards and quite a few things this green in the workshop so am sticking to it, except for a few machines that should be grey like the Harrison lathe, anyway the world is too grey in general so green is more cheerful and classy  :thumbup:

One thing with the green is its a nightmare to get a photo showing what the colour actually looks like, I dont think any of these shots are spot on colour wise and these are the best of the bunch.

All cabinets , lightly sanded, wheels masked off and the floor swept then wet to try to keep the dust down.

I was getting pushed for space really as I was close to the next cabinet when spraying so had to be carefull where I was and also the air line and I use a lamp to shine on the area as the light not too good for spraying, The draws were also a bit dodgy for balance and getting knocked so it was just a case of be careful and keep to the system of working around the items. This is the first light coat of green.

Looking a bit more green after two coats.

This is them after three coats and the draws have dried enough to be carefully balanced back into the cabinets, I had a 5 litre tin of paint and its used 4 litres to do the three cabinets ! , spraying the insides and draws seems to eat the paint but at least they won't rust. The other shots are of the corners that were musroomed over and damaged. Overall they have came out fine , not as good as you would like if it was your classic car pride and joy but they are green and shiny.

I have sprayed the door locking rods silver and got them fitted along with the draw handles , locks etc.  I have to work out the best way to do the shelves now , I think I might spray the shelf frames and drill / cut the old wood shelf incerts to fit collets etc then if they work well, I will make some new wood ones. The other thing they need is new plywood tops.

The phtotos here are more like the colour but still not right really they are actually somewhere in between the last shots above and these more bright ones in reality. Things always look better with a few parts put back on too.

I like the tall cabinet with the external top draws the best as it has a more classic look about it, it would make a nice drinks cabinet for Doubleboost to keep his red wine and Brown ale in !

Cheers Mick.

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2014, 11:25:39 AM »
They look great Mick!!  :bow: :beer:
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline Arbalist

« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2014, 11:53:20 AM »
Very nice job!  :thumbup:

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2014, 01:08:52 PM »
Looks really nice. In some pictures it looks Kelly green.

Pekka

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2014, 05:04:55 PM »
Excellent Mick - they really look the business. I've not seen the style before where the drawers are behind the doors. Did that one have the Versatool label on the back with key numbers or is it a clone perhaps?

Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2014, 05:10:15 PM »
Very nice Mick :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
I also like the tall one  :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:
John

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2014, 05:45:16 PM »
Classy, Mick!  :clap: :clap:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline micktoon

« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2014, 05:54:49 PM »
Thanks for the comments lads  :thumbup: ,
                        Andrew they all had the Versatool tags on the back with key numbers, there are two with the internal draws , the shorter of the two had a Bridgeport by Versatool label the other two just had Versatool on the labels. I think the external 'domed' type draws were the oldest and they were probably a cost cutting exercise having the internal flat draws , easier to make and only one lock needed ?

Cheers Mick.

Offline micktoon

« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2014, 06:17:27 PM »
 I have moved onto the next stage of the cabinets, the shelves , which looked not bad until I looked harder, various faults on them some needed shims to tighten up the swing out part so it would not drop when opened , general bent edges etc to be knocked out, the two heavier shelves both had the tabs that stop them swinging too far back into the cabinet snapped off so welded some new stronger tabs on them two.

You can see the tab on the thinner shelf at the top of the photo but the wider shelves both had these missing, so I cut two bits of plate to make replacements and welded them on beofre starting to prepare for painting.

Most of shelves were finsihed in black crinkle finish paint that was scraped and flaking off on all the front faces, three of them were silver hammer finish that was also coming off, 13 shelves in total to do( 13 unlucky for some , aye me the mug that had the tedious job of preparing these loll ). I hit the flaking bits with a grinder with soft flap wheel type disc on then went over with a DA sander. Took more doing than you would think as fiddly to hold etc. Eventually they were all clean sanded and de greased.

I was then deciding how to paint them ?  due to the frame like nature it was putting me off spraying as too much paint misses the object , you have to keep moving them about etc and lots of mess, I decided to brush some of the areas and then do the rest with small roller. This was a job that you wish you had an apprentice you could get to do. I painted them with two pack primer, so after a good while they looked like this.

I have decided I will spray the black on as could not go through all the brushing again lol thats a job for tomorrow .

Cheers Mick.

Offline Ginger Nut

« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2014, 08:26:50 PM »
Mick they look smik you could always ask the kids to brighten them up a bit and hand them some spray cans let them go to town on them. :poke:

Hi Pekka, Yes that looks like the one, as you can see mine is an old one , I think I will have had it 25 years, the needle and air cap do make a difference, I have three guns two like this one and one is a blantant copy of this gun with no name on it but still is a good gun. That one his used for primer and has standard needle and air cap, this one is for top coat and has standard needle but alternative air cap that gives finer particles in the spray ( its in the pot steeping , in storage ) the third one is for metalics and has another diffrent needle in it but uses the same air cap as the top coat one.
  I was recommended these set ups years ago from a paint sprayer and it seems to work well, I used to get too much orange peel effect on the top coat and patchiness on metalics until I used these needles and air caps.

Mick this is why I love/d my Sampson one gun one needle one cap does all except heavy undercoat.  I still have the gun but I have sneaking suspicion some mongrel swiped my cap and needle or dropped it. Its done everything from spraying a Mini couple of VW's to a number of buses n coaches one which was Metalic.

Offline jb3cx

« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2014, 03:19:05 PM »
Micky looking great ,from the last time I saw them in lambys place ,why don't I just bring my 3 over to you  minus the tooling that's in them and do a swap,as you have more space to clean and paint than me ,and save me the job ,hate painting
Peter

Offline micktoon

« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2014, 06:32:15 PM »
Hi Peter , I am sure you will be able to do yours one at a time and manage with the space you have  :ddb: , your new conservatory would make a good spot to do some spraying in too, just wait till your wife is out , she will never know as long as you get cleaned up before she gets back in   :thumbup:
 Hi GingerNut, These guns will do all with the basic air cap and needle too , just do it better with the various other ones , I used mine for everything until I was informed of the additional ones by a full time paint sprayer.
  Well I have got the shelves done , I sprayed them with Cellulose satin finish black, I had some , it dries fast and is not too messy. I turned the pressure down and closed the fan pattern up and they were not as bad to do as I thought, still fiddly to turn over etc, anyway this is them painted .

Once dry I have put the shelves back in , mainly so they are not lying about. I have put them back in not spaced out in the final places, I am going to fill one with all the tooling for the bridgeport so will have to see what needs to fit in and then make some wod shelf incerts with fixtures to hold the chucks and collets etc. Any advice or photos of what others have found to work out well are welcome.
 This is the cabinets done except for the shelf incerts and the plywood tops.

Cheers Mick

Offline Meldonmech

« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2014, 07:38:53 AM »

Very smart Mick, I like the contrast.

Cheers David

Offline caskwith

« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2014, 08:08:56 AM »
Damn fine job there!

Offline BillTodd

• Colchester Essex (where the lathes were made)
« Reply #43 on: August 25, 2014, 09:18:04 AM »
They'd be too good for my workshop  :clap: :thumbup:
Bill

Offline krv3000

« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2014, 02:01:22 PM »
well dun mick  :headbang: :headbang:

Offline Ginger Nut

« Reply #45 on: August 25, 2014, 07:54:29 PM »
Don't forget to show us the shelf inserts when done. Timber would look great but sheet metal more practical I think takes less room, can be folded to just slip into the cavity for quick easy removal for cleaning. Can be made to suit depth much easier.

Ray

Offline Pete W.

« Reply #46 on: August 26, 2014, 04:31:45 AM »
Hi there, Mick,

They'd be too good for my workshop  :clap: :thumbup:

I wouldn't have room to open the doors in my workshop!   :)   :)   :)   

They're very smart, though.   :bow:   :thumbup:   :bow:   :thumbup:   :bow:   :thumbup:  well done. 
Best regards,

Pete W.

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, you haven't seen the latest design change-note!

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #47 on: August 26, 2014, 07:57:24 PM »
Cabinets to be proud of. And from what many would have thrown out. They will really add to your workshop's appearance! Pleasant to work around nice things.  :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :beer:
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline mfletch

« Reply #48 on: August 27, 2014, 04:35:43 AM »
Nice job good as new I will give you £5 each mick delivered

Offline jb3cx

« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2014, 02:54:43 PM »
All you need now mick is some nice tools to fill them up with, :)