Author Topic: Ouch, that's gonna hurt!!!!  (Read 10083 times)

Offline usn ret

Ouch, that's gonna hurt!!!!
« on: May 21, 2009, 07:40:51 PM »
SAFETY!!!! Don't know if this is the correct place for subject but, while changing the straight shank mounted drill chuck on the mill, and after loosening the draw bolt and whacking it with a deadblow hammer I had place my hand under the chuck to keep it from smashing down onto the workpiece. Upon whacking the drawbolt the quill return spring chose this time to break.  Man, the quill assembley can go from up to down in a flash catching my little finger between the proverbial rock and a hard place. Heavy too!! Fortunately I had removed the drill bit or it would have been messy.  No it didn't break anything but it sure was sore for a few days. :( :( Now, I always lock the quill in the retracted/up position before making any changes.  Safety instructions are often written in blood. To say that I was reluctent to post this is an understatement, but if it keeps someone from getting hurt, my embarasement is incidental.  BE SAFE!!!!!!

Cliff :beer:
If it isn't broken your not looking hard enough!

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
Re: Ouch, that's gonna hurt!!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009, 01:59:10 AM »
Ouch that sounded painful:-

Thanks for the warning Cliff, I guess the safest thing to do is put a bit of soft wood under the quill in future.

Be carful out there

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline usn ret

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 11:58:35 PM »
I find it hard to believe that I am the only one to have encountered a painful incident. Please share the incidents so that others can avoid being the recepient of the sharp stick award!!!!!! :zap:
Clff :bang:

bogstandard

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2009, 12:12:56 AM »
I think what it is Cliff, people are a little ashamed to admit to having accidents.

I can't really remember when I last had a machinery mishap, such as yours, but I do cut myself fairly regular, all because of me being bone idle or rushing to get a job finished.

Putting or taking out a razor sharp cutters from the collet holder on the mill, picking up swarf from the stopped machine (a golden rule is that you never touch swarf while the machine is running) without using gloves, handling non deburred materials before and after machining.

These are all my own failings, and a clear case of disobeying my own rules. So do as I say, not as I do.

John

Offline shred

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2009, 01:17:37 PM »
I think what it is Cliff, people are a little ashamed to admit to having accidents.

I can't really remember when I last had a machinery mishap, such as yours, but I do cut myself fairly regular, all because of me being bone idle or rushing to get a job finished.

Putting or taking out a razor sharp cutters from the collet holder on the mill, picking up swarf from the stopped machine (a golden rule is that you never touch swarf while the machine is running) without using gloves, handling non deburred materials before and after machining.

These are all my own failings, and a clear case of disobeying my own rules. So do as I say, not as I do.

John
I'm new to the ME hobby, but have the exact experiences as John-- laziness and/or hurrying is what causes my injuries.  Not deburring properly, trying to do some things hand-held that should be in a vise, etc.  From some other hobbies where accidents can also easily be fatal, what I try, as soon as I notice myself getting slack or catch a 'that was stupid' safety error is to pack it in and go do something else.

I have this little guy on my new mill to remind me it can bite.  ::)

« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 01:19:22 PM by shred »

Offline SPiN Racing

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2009, 01:18:42 PM »
My youngest son (Reading over my shoulder) and I are usually in the garage together. He is doing various things like cleaning up his Mazda 13B for dissassembly (he is 13).

He always laughs and says "Careful thats sharp!" when I grab my 2" 8 flute end mill. And get a small cut on one of my fingers.
SPiN Racing

Offline Pelallito

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2009, 04:44:44 PM »
usnret,
I was removing a 3 jaw chuck from a 14" or 16" SB lathe in a hurry one day at work. I wanted to swap it for a 4 jaw chuck. It was a government(personal) project that I was working on. I misjudged when it would unscrew off the spindle. :doh:
One of the jaws landed on my right hand pinkie finger and smashed the tip it open. I still have the scar to prove it. :bang:
Needless to say, the project was put on a back burner for a while.
Regards,
Fred

Offline Cliff

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2009, 04:59:39 PM »
All I can say about little mishaps is always wash your hands before and after going to the bathroom when you machine fiberglass ask me how I know. Cliff.

bogstandard

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2009, 05:09:49 PM »
Everyone has these little accidents, no matter how much care you take. It is a fact of life. What you need to do is reduce the risk down to the lowest possible level.

But there is a big difference between having your little finger ache for a few days, and having it missing forever, and I have seen it happen before my own eyes, but it happened so fast, I couldn't prevent it.
It wasn't a machining accident, but a chap sticking his finger into where it wasn't wanted. The only problem was, he wanted the finger, but due to the way it was chewed up and spat out by the engine cooling fan, there wasn't enough big bits to be stuck back on.

So always remember, ACCIDENTS DON'T HAPPEN, THEY ARE CAUSED.

John

Offline Pelallito

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2009, 05:18:42 PM »
John,
I will talk about my shortened fingers of my left hand another day. That one is very emberassing to talk about. :bugeye:
Like an old police show line- Be safe out there!
Regards,
Fred

Offline usn ret

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2009, 12:22:48 AM »
Shred,  the character with the teeth and attitude is a very good reminder that everything in our shops/garages has the potential to take a bite out of us without any warning. :zap:  Exhaustion, complacency, over confidence and inattention are just a few of the enemeys lurking in our shops.  Please be safe and report acts of dumbness for no other reason than to keep someone else from shedding blood.  I will get off of my soapbox now!!!! :wack: :wack: :wack:
Cliff 1 :beer:

Offline SPiN Racing

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2009, 07:02:53 AM »
And that (tiredness etc) is why I have had a sadly unproductive week now. Damn Flu lingering. I feel ok for a few hours a day.. and want to go into the shop.. but damn.. I really dont want to take any risks. Just isnt worth it.

:smart:
SPiN Racing

Offline usn ret

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2009, 01:18:34 AM »
It has been a while since this was at the top and we have several newbys since May. At this time of the year with so many things going on and the distractions of the season, this might be time for a review of our safety practices and procedures.  I don't have any new scars and hope to keep it that way in the coming new year. Merry Christmas and a Happy New year!!!

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2009, 03:44:49 AM »
It has been a while since this was at the top and we have several newbys since May. At this time of the year with so many things going on and the distractions of the season, this might be time for a review of our safety practices and procedures. I don't have any new scars and hope to keep it that way in the coming new year. Merry Christmas and a Happy New year!!!

Me neither Cliff!  :thumbup:

Here`s wishing for an incident free, Merry Christmas & Happy New Year, to all forum members!

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!