Author Topic: Quickie Guard  (Read 5967 times)

bogstandard

Quickie Guard
« on: November 14, 2009, 03:59:22 PM »
I had an hour or so left at the end of today, so I have cured a problem I have suffered with over the previous year.

This is the interlocked guard that came with the machine. The interlock was disconnected soon after I installed the machine because you would be half way thru a cut, tap the guard and the machine would stop.
It is also a pig to set up every time you raise or lower the table.
So it has now been removed.

Squared up a lump of nylon I had laying about.

Milled a 1/8" groove along the length

On the opposite side to the groove, I plunge milled a 12mm cutter to 6.5mm deep. I also drilled some 3mm holes thru from the other faces.

Using some fast acting Loctite, some neodindiuminumium magnets were stuck into the holes.

The lot was fixed along the bottom of some perspex that used to be a guard.
With this setup, I can use it as is, on the RT and the main table.
It is much more versatile than the old one.

Bogs

Offline jim

Re: Quickie Guard
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 04:10:26 PM »
as daft as it may sound, i use clear plastic food containers bolted to "pot" magnets as swarf deflectors
if i'd thought it through, i'd have never tried it

bogstandard

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2009, 05:24:22 PM »
Not daft at all Jim, whatever gets the job done and you are happy, that is all that counts.

John

Baldrocker

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2009, 06:02:18 PM »
Bogs
Hurrah! At last a use for those rare earth magnets I bought on spec about 6 months ago  :beer:
BR

bogstandard

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2009, 06:37:01 PM »
BR,

I have normal magnets the same size, but they just wouldn't have been strong enough to make it stable and safe.

A mate gave me these magnets a few months back, on the understanding that if I could make use of them, he will give me a load more.

Case proved, now rubbing my hands in anticipation of things to come.

Bogs

BTW, there is just one problem, ferrous swarf. I will sort that when the problem arises.

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2009, 06:46:10 AM »
Nice! Now I have another project!!!

Ferrous swarf.... Easy - Thin piece of plastic (less that 0.5mm thick) like you get stuff welded into when you buy it and you need half tyhe tools in your shop to get the welded edges off!  :dremel:

Cut a length that will allow the sides to be heated slightly and turned up around the base. This will then cover the magnets but not take away much of their power.

Any swarf that gets onto the face then is easily removed by pulling the guard off and watching the swarf fall off the plastic face.

Well that's the way I'd do it anywho!

Just thought I'd add a little .....  Been a while!

Ralph.
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

bogstandard

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2009, 07:08:01 AM »
Problem is Ralph, if you do it as you suggest, the swarf will stay over the magnet area while you slide it off.

These magnets have a very strong attraction range of about 3" to 4", as I found out when I put them on my worktop, digiverns and tooling came flying from all directions.

Good to see you posting again, see you later.

Bogs

Offline 75Plus

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2009, 10:19:17 AM »
Here is an idea that might work, it does for me on a magnetically mounted light. I cover the magnets with painters tape the kind that is easily removed, then I place tape over the swarf and remove tape and swarf in one operation.

Joe

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2009, 01:45:21 PM »
First: as I kinda said to John on Sunday I meant it like a "cap" to be pulled off rather than slid. I have now viewed this guard first hand and it does exactly as advertised.... You don't often say that about commercial stuff ehh?

Second: Joe, That's a mighty fine idea! I like simple solutions.... But rarely come up with one  :doh:

:nrocks:

Ralph.
I know what I know and need to know more!!!