Author Topic: Turning a chore into and easy task.  (Read 9053 times)

GrahamC

Turning a chore into and easy task.
« on: December 07, 2009, 07:55:53 PM »
I have a rather generic Asian lathe of 10 inch swing (5 inch in UK money), marketed in Canada by Busy Bee tools

http://busybeetools.ca/cgi-bin/picture10?NTITEM=B2227L

The chuck is held on 3 M8 socket head cap screws, similar to several other brands of lathes. There is little room between the spindle and headstock and required the use of a sawed off hex wrench, much twisting, fussing and cursing and about 15 minutes of time to effect a chuck change.

This made changing chucks too much of a chore and I tended not to change them very often.

I fussed for a bit and a fix came to me while I was sitting on the throne - seems I do a lot thinking (and stinkin') and while sitting on the throne and solve a lot of little problems too!

What I came up with was a replacement for the M8 socket head cap screws that I can turn in and out by hand only needing a wrench to snug up or loosen off. Made from 1/2" 12L14 leaded steel (could be made from any similar size i.e. 12mm). Took all of a bout an hour to make the three needed, threading done on the lathe and still on the original parts made over two years ago. I can now effect a chuck change in under 5 minutes, wrench needed only to loosen to snug up - the remainder screwing in or out easily done with two fingers.

The pictures show all. One photo shows the three replacement bolts along side one of the original cap screws and it's hex wrench. The second photo shows the replacement bolts in situ on the lathe holding the chuck in place.

Offline tinkerer

Re: Turning a chore into and easy task.
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 08:21:47 PM »
Nice fix. Thankfully my previous owner did that.
Tink

The desire accomplished is sweet to the soul.
Prov 13:19

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 08:31:41 PM »
Nice work  :thumbup:

I fussed for a bit and a fix came to me while I was sitting on the throne - seems I do a lot thinking (and stinkin') and while sitting on the throne and solve a lot of little problems too!

I used to get all my best ideas when I was smoking a fag (erm, for our colonial cousins, that does not mean shooting a gay man... :D), but since I quit the throne has to do instead.
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline websterz

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 08:49:19 PM »
Gawwwwleeeee...y'all shore do talk funny...  :lol:
"In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.  Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal."
 :med:

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 08:56:11 PM »

eh, eh

Cheers  :beer:

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

bogstandard

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 05:46:49 AM »
Graham,

That idea is so simple, but cures the problem totally.

You should eat a lot of curries and spend a lot longer on the crapper, if that is all it takes to come up with a solution like that.

Nice one  :clap: :clap:

Bogs

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2009, 09:45:59 AM »
Nice one Graham.

I've done the same, sitting on the throne and thinking. Only thing is I sometimes fall asleep and loose a good idea.  :lol:  :lol:  :ddb:  :ddb:

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline crabsign69

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2010, 09:44:22 PM »

this is what i made for mine a sliver of brass and a cut off allen wrench pressed together and it works great
still need the allen wrench to get it tight but it works good  :headbang:

GrahamC

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2010, 08:51:16 PM »
Now that is another neat solution.

cheers, Graham