Author Topic: Moteur oscillant double effect  (Read 46934 times)

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
Moteur oscillant double effect
« on: August 02, 2010, 05:07:46 AM »
This is going to be a batch build of a very good French design of a twin cylinder double acting revering verticle engine, these engines build up into a powerful engine that have many applications.

The drawing are available free her http://jpduval.free.fr/Plans_moteurs_vapeur_p1.htm

Its important with a batch build to keep the parts the same size as best you can, this way you can use stops to allow quick set ups.

First up the cylinders.

I dropped on a bit of brass bar at the scrappy that was close to size, so first job rough cut the to length and fly cut the section to size.

Then using the Keats angle plate, face them all off to same length.

Then on one cylinder only drill a nice deep centre for the bore position.

Now the next bit is where the Keats comes into its own, if I was just making one I could have used a independant four jaw chuck and picked up the bore position with a clock, but as I'm doing more than one this would have been a pain.

Clamps the cylinder in the Keats and with the Keats loose on the face plate, wind a centre tight into the cylinder, this pulls the bore onto the centre line of the lathe, clamp the Keats tight to the face plate.

The parallel on the face plate is their to stop the Keats slipping and to act as a counterbalance.

Thats it all you have to do is drill a ream change to next cylinder repeat, repeat,

This lost took just over an hour.

To position the rest of the holes in the cylinders, just use your vice stop so when you've got one positioned just keep changing them round until all are done change position for next hole repeat repeat, where required the holes were tapped using my tapping stand.

For the end cap holes that are on a PCD and positional relationship to the air ports I made  jig, that had a small dowel that located in the air port, this is it in use.

And with a finished cylinder.

Stew

A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
Re: Moteur oscillant double effect
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 11:03:04 AM »
Very nice Stew. Like the patch process... I have a Keats started but not yet finished. One day soon I will get there.

Why you building so many? Gonna start an empire of steam powered tanks?

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 02:15:25 PM »
Nice one Stew....I like batch builds, it looks great all those parts next to one another!

Chris

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 02:27:51 PM »
Thanks Eric/ Chris

One will go in my collection, the rest will be banked, to be drawn out from time to time and sold on ebay, when I need a little shop cash.

Stew

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 06:53:04 PM »
I'm impressed, because Stew cleaned the machine of swarf each time he took a picture.  :lol:

All kidding as side. Nice one Stew. I like the use of the face plate setup with the Keats. NEWBIES, are you paying attention?  :wack:

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline shoey51

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 03:14:10 AM »
very nice stew i do like your builds :bow: :bow: :bow: :thumbup: :clap: :clap:

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 12:16:51 PM »
Yer away to a fine start Stew!  :thumbup:

It's been a while since I did any batch work. I'm pleased to say.......  :D

Good luck! Watching from a safe distance.  :wave:

David D

David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2010, 03:18:21 PM »
Thanks Lads

I needed some shed time today to get over the stress of taking my 85 year old Dad his 87 year old sister and my 88 year old aunt out for a drive and a pub lunch all three are hard of hearing and wear hearing aids of sorts that never seem to work right, on top of that my Dads sister has a very strong scots accent. I spent the time repeating and translating the conversations that were crossing over and getting mixed up whilst trying to drive, answering the same question time and time again like:- where are we "Buxton", two minutes later where are we "Buxton", two minutes later where are we "Buxton" two minutes later where are we " F*****g New York"

:lol:

Any way back on topic

For drilling the holes in the cylinders and keeping them all the same depth I fitted little sleeves over the drills to act as depth stops, for the smaller drill I glued the sleeves in place for the larger one a slit the sleeves and pinched the slit in slightly, to keep them in place at the set depth. You put the drill in the chuck so that the sleeve is hard up against its jaws and tighten up on the drill shank, you then simply drill the hole as far as the sleeve and thats it all the holes are the same depth.

This will give you the idea.

Next job I made a start on the crank webs, the drawing calls for two webs but I'm doing the build with three webs per engine this is one of Johns design improvements to give a more positive power take off.

Skim down a length of brass bar to 28mm and then slice off 6 mm wide discs.

I'm using a 1/16" part off blade to reduce wastage, I didn't part off all the way the last 1/8 I finished off with a small hack saw this way the disc wouldn't get trapped by the centre.

Next face off one side flip over and face to 5mm thickness, using a round nosed tool this gives a nice finish, when doing a batch try and get a real good finish off the machine this cuts down on post machining polishing.

Set up again and centre drill them rough drill and ream 4mm with a machine reamer, its not important for the hole to be concentric with the OD most of the OD will be chopped away, the critical feature is the hole centres for the crank off set, which will be tomorrows job.

Her we are doing the last one with the rest threaded on a bit of 4mm bar.

Stew

Offline shoey51

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2010, 03:25:43 PM »
oh wow nice :clap:
im sitting here thinking wish i could do that :scratch:

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2010, 03:32:22 PM »
oh wow nice :clap:
im sitting here thinking wish i could do that :scratch:

But, Graham..... You can!  :thumbup:

But, it's a great help, if John Boggy is a near neighbour, and friend!  :lol: :lol:

(Very nicely done Stew!).  :clap:

David D
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 03:34:18 PM by Stilldrillin »
David.

Offline shoey51

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2010, 03:38:54 PM »
David i have a great deal of trouble parting off already broke one drive belt :doh: :(

Graham

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2010, 03:58:36 PM »
David i have a great deal of trouble parting off already broke one drive belt :doh: :(

Graham

Have a look here Graham.......

http://start-model-engineering.co.uk/begin-with-bogs/parting-off/

http://start-model-engineering.co.uk/begin-with-bogs/parting-off-2/

(Sorry Stew!)  ::)

David D
David.

Offline shoey51

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2010, 06:32:05 AM »
sorry Stew for taking this off topic but thanks David it has given me a beter understanding :thumbup:

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2010, 08:01:50 AM »
No Problem Graham as long as you got something out of it thats the main thing.

Stew

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2010, 11:27:04 AM »
Thanks Lads

I needed some shed time today to get over the stress of taking my 85 year old Dad his 87 year old sister and my 88 year old aunt out for a drive and a pub lunch all three are hard of hearing and wear hearing aids of sorts that never seem to work right, on top of that my Dads sister has a very strong scots accent. I spent the time repeating and translating the conversations that were crossing over and getting mixed up whilst trying to drive, answering the same question time and time again like:- where are we "Buxton", two minutes later where are we "Buxton", two minutes later where are we "Buxton" two minutes later where are we " F*****g New York"

:lol:

Any way back on topic

Hey I live in New York. That's the state not the city, thank heavens.  :lol:  :lol:

Nice work on those multi parts making.  :thumbup:

Bernd

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2010, 11:28:12 AM »
Next op with the crank webs drill the off set holes, there will be two types 7 with one off set for the power take off and 14 with two off set for the engine crank.

First turn a mandrel with a nice fitting location diameter and a short length threaded M4, and a deep centre in the end

Then over onto the mill grip the mandrel in a chuck and with the chuck loose on the table wind a centre down tight into the centre in the mandrel, clamp the chuck firmly to the able thats it the mandrel is now accurately centered under the mill, zero your dials and off set 10mm.

Drill first off set hole 4mm in all the webs.

Put 7 aside then off set 10mm the other way and drill a four mill hole in the mandrel to take a pin, then using the first hole drilled in the web and a peg use this to locate for the second hole.

Drill the remaining webs with a 2mm hole.

Here they are all done with the mandrel

Stew

Offline shoey51

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2010, 01:30:29 PM »
mate im impressed with your workmanship great work mate :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Offline madjackghengis

• big engine
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2010, 07:28:27 AM »
Hi Stew, that's a real show with the set up for doing the mass production, those are some fine looking crank pieces, impressive looking, all stacked up on the rod, ready for the massive build.  I like your technique getting all the 4mm holes done and then putting in the dowel to locate the discs for the second hole, looks to work a charm.  :jaw: mad jack

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2010, 02:01:38 PM »
Thanks Graham/Jack

Well back in the shop after a short holiday with our son and his wife, he lives near Edinburgh (Scotland), August always a good time to visit Edinburgh as its festival time lots of plays and things going on managed to see a couple of fringe plays very good really enjoyed them.

So back to the build:- next job to shape the webs, drilling the holes all off the same jig lets you set them up like this.

Then nibble nibble nibble, flip them over nibble nibble nibble at you got them milled out.

For drilling the pinch hole use a couple of dowels to get them level and set your vice stop, center drill the first one then the next then the next etc etc etc.  Then drill them all tapping drill, then drill half way through clearance then slot drill 2mm drill for the screw head.

The using the same trick over to the tapping stand for tapping.

The next job is to split the webs but for that I need to make a Arbour for a 1mm thick slitting saw, that's a job for tomorrow.

Stew

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2010, 03:59:05 PM »
Very nicely done Stew!  :clap:

Still wondering what the third hole's for....... Last 2 pics.  :scratch:

Guess all will be revealed, eventually!  :thumbup:

David D

David.

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2010, 12:18:00 PM »
This should solve the "Mystery of the Third Hole" Dave. That sound like a title for a B movie.  :D

First job make the mandrel for the slitting saw.  I like to make the washers at the same time this way they are custom made for the mandrell and work a lot better.

Her it is, along with the 1mm thick slitting saw I'm going to use John gave it to me a while a go its very good quality, thanks John.

You can see the benefit her of making the washers for it to give a good clamping area.

To set the webs up I used the two dowel method again to get it level, but this time as I've got to remove the dowels I only set up two webs at a time.

And her we are cutting through into the third hole.

That's it it took about 30 minutes to slit all 14.

This should show what the third hole is for, It's make the web into a pinch clamp to hold the journals in place.

Stew

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2010, 02:07:35 PM »
Pinch clamp Stew? Doh....  :doh:

Thanks! It all makes sense now.....  ::)

Met a friend of yours, today.......  :thumbup:

:D

David D

David.

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2010, 12:26:19 PM »
Someones bin the Manchester Musium of Science and Industry, hope you enjoyed it Dave, did you catch them running the engines, I've bin a few times and only seen them running once, and thats when they were getting ready for a visit from "toby jug ears Charlie".

Made a start on the Standards, the drawing calls for 20mm square brass, I failed to find a supplier to sell me the small qty I wanted,  most had a miniumum order qty of 500 kg, Macmoddels had 7/8" in stock and as its close I had a run out to collect it and save the postage.

Cut to length with a hack saw the bar end with the chamfer looked as though it might not clean up.

Then with a self centering four jaw and a back stop, face them all off to the same length.

The chamfer didn't clean off  :bang: :bang: :bang:  but it looks like it just might be fit for use after milling to size.

Using a fly cutter mill to 20mm square, to do this I first roughed two side to give a square of about 20.8, then set the mill to take a cut down to size, locked everything and at this setting skimmed the remaining sides to get all to the same size, I like to work on the + side so the sizee I have is 20.2.

The chamfer just left a slight witness this can be my keaper.

Next some hole drilling, First thing I did was scribble up a crib sheet, so that I don't get mixed up. Then using an edge fider first centred the mill up on the centre line of the bar, then again with the edge fnder found the end of the bar, and moved the table onto the 4mm hole position, and made this my datum position so everything was zeroed up.

First hole centre then drill undersize to leave a wisker for a 4mm hand reamer.

Now for the steam ports, this is just a mater of chasing arround the datum + and - on the cordinates first with a centre drill then a 2.2mm drill.

Then x and y back on zero and off set to bring you to the bearing coordinate.

Centre drill then roughing then 1/2" drill.

And finaly finish off with a 13mm hand reamer:- I'd tried this drill combination out first on a bit of scrap brass to make shure i got a good fit on the bearing.

Just a trial fit of the few parts to see how it looks.

I've got the rest to do now but that a job for tomorrow

Stew

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2010, 08:57:06 AM »
Well not much to show for new set ups as I've spent the morning machining the rest of the standards. With the vice stops all that's required is to keep loading the standards to the vice making sure that they are hard up against the stop and down on the parallels.

This is the stop in use.

And this is them all drilled

Not finished yet another four sides to drill but not quite as complicated.

This bits off Topic  :offtopic: but I'd show you a pic of the most useful bit of kit I have.

The humble two inch paint brush.

It changes this

Into this in seconds

Keeping the work area clear of swarf is critical, trapped swarf will move the job off datum and throw it out of square, and if its between the vice jaw and the job it will mark the job.

When doing repeat parts an operation that requires multi tools I like to keep the tools easy at hand in a box along with all the other bits required.

The six inch rule is for a quick check that the first hole is going in the right place if that ones right all the rest will be.

And the small lead hammer is it tap the work down onto the parallels the lead gives a dead blow, that stops the work jumping back off the parallels its something to do with the way the lead absorbs the energy of the blow, I think it can be explained by one of Mr Newton's Laws but my physics is not up to a better explanation.

Stew

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2010, 09:32:29 AM »
Yer right Stew. Those two inch brushes help a lot in keeping the area clean.

Reminds me to that I need to replenish my supply. I occasionally loose a bunch of bristtles when the brush gets caught be tween cutter and work.  :doh:

Bernd