The Craftmans Shop > PowerSports
Penny Farthing Bicycle
<< < (29/65) > >>
Powder Keg:
Were not working tomorrow\o/

The Boss did say that it would be OK for me to come in and play on the machines though. I'll be cutting out the bracket for the back seat spring and the front seat hook on the CNC mill. Can't wait.... :drool:

~Wes~
Divided he ad:
Always nice to have a bit of unexpected free time  :thumbup:  Even better when you have something fun to fill it with  :dremel:

Just a simple question Wes, What era is the bike based on? you know 1890's 1920's etc? Just wondering? Figure you're going to have to have the right dress code etc for the bike style?  I'm assuming they changed a lot from conception to retirement?
You may have said this already and I missed it?

Have fun making the new bits  :ddb:

Ralph.
Powder Keg:
 They were popular from the 1870's clear through the 1990's. The earlier bicycle was ether a board with wheels or had front wheel drive. Around 1869 wheels with adjustable metal spokes were invented. Bicycles went from a wood wheel to a steel and rubber wheel. To gain speed, inverters made the wheel bigger so more distance could be traveled per peddle push. They went this way because bicycle chain hadn't been invented yet. There is a lot of history Here

There is a pretty neat story about a bike bought by Paul Niquette. It is probably the biggest High wheel made with a 64" front wheel. Here is the Story

Later,

~Wes~
Divided he ad:
I had read some stuff on them and knew there was a wide range of dates. Just wondered if you had seen a certain version and decided "that one"?

The 1873 Coventry high wheel  definitely a  "Penny Farthing" (and not meant as a horrible nick name at all) to most Brits I'm sure.
That one has the handle bar ends like the ones you picture from your friend. The brake mechanism sounds cool... BTW Coventry.... My home town  :ddb:

Read the story... Interesting character the farmer. I like his morals on the gazumping bidders   :thumbup: 

The "you tipped your cap" story was quite humorous too  :)

How did your extra fab' time in work go?

Ralph.

Powder Keg:
I'm happy with what I machined today. I started on the hook for the front of the seat. I still have to bend it into a hook. Hopefully that wont be too much trouble.

I then drew up what I thought a seat spring mount would look like. I even managed to get it cut out. This would have been tricky on a manual mill.

Here is a close up of the mount. I'll saw it off the chunk tomorrow.

Thanks for watching,

~Wes~
Navigation
Message Index
Next page
Previous page

Go to full version