Author Topic: Harrogate May 2011  (Read 36566 times)

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
Re: Harrogate May 2011
« Reply #75 on: May 14, 2011, 03:38:40 PM »
Well I got home about 30 min's ago.

Not a bad trip really. The "money pit" made it no problems at all (if you don't count one little fishtailing event on the motorway  :bugeye: )

Got lot's of loverly bits to find new homes for and strangely feel a little lighter in the pocket for it.... DRO's purchased though  :ddb:  Just got to wait for delivery now  ::)..... Then fitting should be fun :zap:  I'll probably post a few pic's of that when it happens?

Quite a lot turned up... There must have been 10-15 of us there? There was not enough time to talk to everyone and get conversations started though  ::)  Good to see the faces of the folks behind the text though, John.... I should have got introduced and to talking to you too,  Spud cannons are a favourite of mine. Still haven't made one though (round tuit etc, etc...)

I'm going to start a campaign for a meeting after the show next year.... In a pub/eatery where we can all talk for much longer and get a bit more involved in conversations..... It was a little awkward at the side of the Chester stand in a main through fair.

Bogs, Stew and Ade will tell you.... I really do like to talk!  (bumped into Stew twice later on and had a little extra chat both times  :) )

Anyway.... Back on to the important things for those who could not make it....  :worthless:

My efforts were poor this year I'm afraid.   :doh:   I think it's time for a new camera with better focus and anti shake! It's pretty hard to take pic's while being bustled!

Anyway, here's the link to the pic's that survived.....
http://s289.photobucket.com/albums/ll221/dividedhead/Model%20shows/Harrogate%202011/

I took a few of one's half done, with the idea being find them next year or so and see the progress... I'll have to look through the 2008/9 ones I have to see if I caught any from then?

I spent a while talking to the chap on the jet engine stand... They are awesome to say the least... All made from scratch on manual machines with cool jigs to mmake the perfect parts and they even made a mini spot welder out of bits from a microwave  :zap:  :jaw:    So very cool  :drool:

Mini spot welder.... I need one!  :zap:

I have a video of one running at 1/2 thrust..... Very loud indeed! I still want one! imagine a push bike powered with a jet turbine!  :loco:   :headbang: 

Anyway... I've droned on enough.... Next year. I'll find a local pub! Not suggesting a p155 up  :beer:   (I don't drink alcyhol.) Just a better environment to get conversations started is all.... We'll see how that pans out then?

Hope a few others post some (better) pic's ?

Ralph.
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline DennisWA

« Reply #76 on: May 14, 2011, 03:49:25 PM »
It was well worth the trip and I was pleased to meet those who attended today's international meet .  :mmr:

This was a first time for me at Harrogate - I think has the best atmosphere of any model exhibition that I have been to.

Trust you all got home safely. I did somewhat poorer as a result of my purchases - next problem is getting them onto the plane!

Best regards

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
« Reply #77 on: May 14, 2011, 04:29:25 PM »
Ralph,

A very nice set of pics there, a good cross section. You could easily take a thousand and still not get even half of what is available to see.

I can see you got carried away with the gas turbines a little. They sort of look easy to make, but I am sure there is a lot more to it than people think.

Dennis,

Glad you enjoyed yourself, and the atmosphere.

I think it is because you can get to see, smell and sometimes even get to hold and touch the exhibits that makes Harrogate have that special atmosphere, a lot of the other shows are all locked behind glass.

It is such a shame I couldn't get there to meet everyone, but I am sure that when a few of you call round, you will give me first hand info of what it was like.

John
If you don't try it, you will never know if you can do it.

Location - Crewe, Cheshire

Skype - bandit175

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #78 on: May 14, 2011, 05:16:08 PM »
It was certainly a great day out meeting every one my ownly regrete was not being able to speak to everyone.

Did manage to speak to Dennis, "Yorkshireman", "Millwright", Rob, John, Peter, Nick, Chris, Ralph, Dave and a few more who's names I forgot (sorry) in all the confusion and excitment.

A pie and a pint would be a great idea next year.   :beer:

On top of all that I carried out my duties as Postman:- deliverying and collecting things.

Hardly had time to spend my money, but I did my best and converted a few bob into little bits of kit,

I get seduced by the power of the dark side and buy thing that I never use or find totaly useless.  :bang:

Nice set of photos Ralph judging by their subject matter I'd like to know when you're planning on starting the jet engine.  :D :D

They were real cool  :nrocks: :nrocks: :nrocks: :nrocks: fantastic workmanship and inginuity went into them I can uderstand why so many pics

Her's a few of mine

The rest you can vew her                 

http://s431.photobucket.com/albums/qq32/sbwhart/Harrogate%202011/?action=view&current=IMG_3252.jpg

All the best Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #79 on: May 14, 2011, 07:32:10 PM »
Stew, it's weird, but looking through your photos, we might almost have been at different exhibitions. I recognise some of the larger items, but I never noticed that landing craft. Still, there's probably a lot that I saw and you didn't, but I forgot the camera so we'll never know.

A Grand Day Out, as Wallace and Gromit would say, and much enhanced by the meet-up. I thought there weren't quite as many trade stands as in recent years, though. OK, most of the big dealers were there (except Myford, unless they were selling out of the back of that van with their name on it in the car park) but there seemed to be fewer small tstands selling little bits and bobs.

Andy
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
« Reply #80 on: May 14, 2011, 07:39:00 PM »
Yes I would second what stew said it was nice to meat up with members, but we could do with a better space , say the gap by Allendale plenty of space, sorry  if anyone said hello or waved to me later on and I egnored them it's that my neck is rigid and I cannot turn i know kwackers said hello and I missed him so I appoligise it was only after he had gone past I said to jackie who where you talking to and she told me it was kwackers so sorry steve for missing you.

I did see Ralph on said Groupe stand , I wonder if his money pit will be minus a bit of power soon as he converts the urbo in to an engine  :lol: :lol:

Nice pictures by the way and thanks again Stew, ansd sorry I did not get to talk to Chris or Rob

:ddb: :ddb: Peter  :ddb: :ddb:
I am usless at metalwork, Oh and cannot spell either . failure

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
« Reply #81 on: May 14, 2011, 07:44:17 PM »
By the way if anybody is going tommorow take butties the Food is discusting, I had a hockey puck on two farleys ruskes, as you bit in the bread exploded in to dust and your teeth hit the puck in fact it was puckin awfull. and I could of got another Dixon tool holder for what we paid.

:ddb: :ddb:  Peter   :ddb: :ddb:
I am usless at metalwork, Oh and cannot spell either . failure

Offline Mark Rand

• Building my workshop
« Reply #82 on: May 14, 2011, 08:10:41 PM »
Only Just joined, due to wanting to talk to Darren about Beaver Milling machines. I'd decided not to go to Harrogate this year. Maybe see some folks at the Bristol show in August or the Midlands show in October. Might actually have some useful posts by then...
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 08:15:33 PM by Mark Rand »
RTFM

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #83 on: May 15, 2011, 02:02:49 AM »
Hi Guys,

Really good meeting up with you and putting faces to names. I have to admit, in the excitement of it all and the hustle and bustle, I forgot who most of you where! I certainly spoke to Ralph, NickF, NickG, Skiprat, SemiSkilled, Pete, Stew Rob and many others...

It is strange, most of us post on here daily and it is really good to see who you are actually having conversations with!!

Chris

EDIT - by the way, I forgot my camera yesterday but did anyone see the Grimsby Engineers stand, one chap, John has built Colin thornes Skeleton time piece, the clock that I`m trying to build one day! If anyone is going today and would take a good few photos of it I`d appreciate it!

Chris
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 02:04:40 AM by craynerd »

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #84 on: May 15, 2011, 06:02:38 AM »
Hi Lads

Great to see everyone  :beer:  ,,,,,,,,had a good bit crack with a few of you ,,,,,,,,,,,put some faces to some names , :)  ,,,,,,,,,,,but sadly missed out on meeting and talking to a few   :(  ,,,,,,,,,,,,, Me thinks we need a better meeting place  :med:

I and John  D/B   also had the pleasure of getting to see Stews very fine collection of engines running  :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb:  I speak for us both here as we both agree that the over crank engine was a joy to see running ,, and was topic of conversion for most of the drive home ,,,,,,,,, WELL DONE Stew  :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

PS Stew ,,,,,,,,,,,,,, you dont want to no what was in the boxes  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dopey me forgot my camera ,,,along with my list of what i needed ,,,,,,,so i only got a few photo on my phone  :doh:

Rob

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #85 on: May 15, 2011, 06:49:25 AM »
so I only got a few photo on my phone 

And.....  :worthless:
At least most of us had fun at the show.... Still wanted more time to talk about stuff...

I'm gooling places in the area this morning.... There must be a few places near by that'll have adequate parking etc....was thinking 4pm onwards, that'd mean that there would be all the purchases and models to talk about too!   

Just whether people want to be away from home for much longer, but leaving for home at 5-5:30 wouldn't be too bad would it?

Anyway, 12 months to figure that one out  :smart: 
Sorry about the Tshirt choice Rob.... Next time  :)

Stew.... I didn't know you had the engine and could get it running..... How did you do that?
Hopefully next time I hit Crewe I might get to come and take a butchers?   :thumbup:

Peter... I always take butties  :thumbup: 

Andy,
I thought most of them were there... I didn't go last year but still remembered where all of the stands were and could go an buy all the things I had listed... Did notice the absence of Myford too, Peter was trying to find them... What was that van doing there?

Chris.... Any good? From Royal Ascot the other year.

Next year... Better planning it might work?

Well, it's got 2 chances!

Ralph.
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline SemiSkilled

« Reply #86 on: May 15, 2011, 07:28:29 AM »
As others have said, nice to put faces to names.

a few pics

got this as they were packing up, Armourtech's T34 ? Click it it's a vid.

You're right, it does look easy when its finished.

Offline Bluechip

• Madmodder Committee
  • Derbyshire UK
« Reply #87 on: May 15, 2011, 07:29:21 AM »

PS Stew ,,,,,,,,,,,,,, you dont want to no what was in the boxes  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rob

Rubble  :ddb: ... cheaper than a skip  :lol: :lol:

BC
I have a few modest talents. Knowing what I'm doing isn't one of them.

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
« Reply #88 on: May 15, 2011, 07:53:24 AM »
I and John  D/B   also had the pleasure of getting to see Stews very fine collection of engines running        I speak for us both here as we both agree that the over crank engine was a joy to see running ,, and was topic of conversion for most of the drive home ,,,,,,,,, WELL DONE Stew     

Thanks Rob and John I'm kind of keen to get it finished but family are getting in the way at the momment, only managing to snatch the od hour here and their, also a sort holiday comming up.

PS Stew ,,,,,,,,,,,,,, you dont want to no what was in the boxes 

Casting sand  :scratch:

Stew.... I didn't know you had the engine and could get it running..... How did you do that?
Hopefully next time I hit Crewe I might get to come and take a butchers?   

Ralph

I had one of those little 12V tyre inflators that you run off your fag lighter made an adpator from a scrap tyre valve and ran it off that, any time your over your more than welcome to have a butchers.

By the way if anybody is going tommorow take butties the Food is discusting, I had a hockey puck on two farleys ruskes, as you bit in the bread exploded in to dust and your teeth hit the puck in fact it was puckin awfull. and I could of got another Dixon tool holder for what we paid.

Good advice Peter, I had fish and chips and a bottle of orange £ 9:50 :- Bullet peas, Soggy chips, 2" thick batter arround a bit od 0.001" thick fish.
Butties are the order of the day for next year.

Rubble   ... cheaper than a skip   

BC

Close to casting sand.

:D :D :D

A great day out.
 :thumbup:

Stew

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #89 on: May 15, 2011, 08:01:57 AM »
Looks like it was a great show, some really interesting engines and models appear to have be completed.  :thumbup: Some very interesting and different subjects covered. I wish more and diversified modelers would display at the NAMES show. But due to personality differences the local boat models seem to avoid the show form some thing that has happened years ago and ego's!
Love the photo's  :clap: :clap: :clap:
"The internet just a figment, of my imagination!' 

There are only 3 things I can't do!"
Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
and I'm working on the first two!
glen

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #90 on: May 15, 2011, 08:02:19 AM »
Hey guys, just a thought and I know we have a year to decided but the golf club pub was excellent, quiet and open to the public. I have to admit, I'm a bit off a football head and had a sneaky half pint and watch of the first 10 minutes of the FA cup final first half at 3. Honestly, was a really nice pub,served food and is a 30 second walk from the main enterence, you know the big gates! I didn't even see it last year but it is there. And I agree, meet a bit later so there isn't as much of that horrible compelling feeling to go spend more money!

Cheers for posting the pics Ralph. That's Wildings large wheel skeleton, certainly a nice looking clock. I'm almost certain there was another of those yesterday but the one that is also there is definitely Colin Thornes Skeleton Timepiece, exact one I'm building ...well trying!

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #91 on: May 15, 2011, 08:22:50 AM »
Ooohhh!

Didn't we have a good time!?  :D

Only took 1 pic..... Of Stew's overcrank engine, in his car boot. Gorgeous!  :thumbup:

Took a video too! Hope he doesn't mind me showing.....  :wave:

The little compressor is a bit LOUD!!

Great day!  :)

David D
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 08:24:28 AM by Stilldrillin »
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline DennisWA

« Reply #92 on: May 15, 2011, 08:56:22 AM »
Hi Guys,

Really good meeting up with you and putting faces to names. I have to admit, in the excitement of it all and the hustle and bustle, I forgot who most of you where! I certainly spoke to Ralph, NickF, NickG, Skiprat, SemiSkilled, Pete, Stew Rob and many others...

It is strange, most of us post on here daily and it is really good to see who you are actually having conversations with!!

Chris

EDIT - by the way, I forgot my camera yesterday but did anyone see the Grimsby Engineers stand, one chap, John has built Colin thornes Skeleton time piece, the clock that I`m trying to build one day! If anyone is going today and would take a good few photos of it I`d appreciate it!

Is this the one (picture not from Harrogate!)

Dennis

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #93 on: May 15, 2011, 09:01:47 AM »
Great to see everybody  :thumbup: sorry I couldn't hang around and chat longer, had to get back to the wife and boys who were probably bored stupid by that point as I'd been manning our club stand for the first 2 hours! I think meeting up after in the pub would be a great idea for next year though to have a proper chin wag!

Nick

PeeWee

« Reply #94 on: May 15, 2011, 09:02:32 AM »
Hi,
unfortunately i completely missed the noon meet as i was busy at M-Dro and lost track of the time.  but did get some bits for the lathe and mill once post arrives.  I also forgot to take any pictures even though i had the new camera.  :(

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #95 on: May 15, 2011, 09:04:20 AM »
  :lol: It's easy to lose track of time there! Unfortunately I was rushed around again as usual and didn't get to see much at all - I said it last year but definitely no wife or kids next year ... either that or we're camping over night!

Offline SKIPRAT

• Gainsborough Lincolnshire England
« Reply #96 on: May 15, 2011, 09:43:08 AM »
Hi All
It was great putting faces to some of you yesterday it looks like a great time was had by all i am sure the meet could have been better in a more relaxed atmosphere but never mind i enjoyed it .My Harrogate haul consisted of the following .Four 12mm shank indexable tip toolholders that take the larger CCMT 09 tips as this is an industrial size and i can get the tips more easily (FOC) ,a 12mm shank button toolholder, a keyless drill chuck in a small size 0-6mm for my smaller drills and the following threading stuff.

set of taps 3/16x32 ME
die            3/16x32 ME
set of taps 3/16x40 ME
die            3/16x40 ME
set of taps  1/4x40  ME
die             1/4x40  ME
set of taps  1/4x32  ME
die             1/4x32  ME
set of taps  3/16     BSF
die             3/16     BSF
set of taps   1/4      BSF
die              1/4      BSF
My wallet is now a few quid lighter .

Cheers Paul
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 10:18:54 AM by SKIPRAT »
One Mans Junk Is Another Man's Treasure G6FOW

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
« Reply #97 on: May 15, 2011, 09:48:50 AM »
My wife thinks I brought her home a new door stop.

can you cast Bogs up another Rob ?.

Stew

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #98 on: May 15, 2011, 11:14:21 AM »
Having handled it. I can comment, that doorstop's bloomin' HEAVY!  :bugeye:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
« Reply #99 on: May 15, 2011, 12:56:48 PM »
Having handled it. I can comment, that doorstop's bloomin' HEAVY!  :bugeye:

David D

My wife would agree with that Dave, she stubbed her toe on it, I was real worried she'd damaged the casting.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Stew