Author Topic: Brand New 6" chuck  (Read 9210 times)

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
Brand New 6" chuck
« on: April 26, 2011, 02:13:19 PM »
I've been contemplating this for a long time now. I needed a new chuck for the Logan lathe. The old one has started to give me trouble. Probably needs a good cleaning.
So last week, Saturday to be exact I ordered a 6" South Bend chuck from Grizzly. It arrived today. Unfortunatley the backplate is on back order and won't get here till mid-may, bummer.

Anyway, UPS delievered it today and of course they had to drop it off at the front door. This area of the house is not yet complete. The other thing is I had heart surgery 3 weeks ago and can't lift anything heavier than 10Lb's, the chuck and packaging weight 28lb's. So I got it slide onto my hand truck and brought it into the garage. Now, how do I get it down the stairs, easy, just let it drop from one step to the next. It's packaged pretty well. Finally made it to the bottom. Now what, well, slide it on the floor. So the follwoing pics show how I finally got it up to waist level on my tool cart.

Here's the package on the basement floor.

This is why I figured I could "bounce" it down the stairs.

All unpackaged, ready to cut the side of the box and let my prize out.

Now for it's journey up to the tool cart. How the heck could I do that? Easy, use a ramp. First level.

Second level.

And to the final resting spot for now.

Now I'll have to wait for the backing plate. That I'll be able to carry, I hope, because my weight limit for liffting will be upped to 20lb's by the time the backplate get's here.

The interesting part will be getting the chuck and backplate on and off the lathe. Stay tuned, I've got that all figured out.

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline DaveH

• Kempton Park, South Africa
Re: Brand New 6" chuck
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 02:18:23 PM »
Bernd,

Sincerely wishing you well and a full recovery. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

DaveH
(Ex Leicester, Thurmaston, Ashby De La Zouch.)

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 02:28:48 PM »
Bernd,

As you know, I have the same sort of problem, but for different reasons.

I don't have as much room as you to move things about  :poke: :lol: , but I do have four chairs, all at different heights.
So I slide the chuck from under the lathe to the first one, then it is an easy transfer up the range until I am nearly at the right height, then a final small lift to where I want it to go.

At one time I used to have to call my friend to come round and change chucks or vices for me, now I am getting a little more independent, if I don't take too much of a risk.

You just take care of yourself

John
If you don't try it, you will never know if you can do it.

Location - Crewe, Cheshire

Skype - bandit175

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 03:03:41 PM »
Bernd

Way to go man. Work smarter not harder. When you have to, you can always figure out another way to get it done. Sometimes it just takes a bit longer. I am sure that you have already got a lift system build in your mind  :doh: and are already working on it in real time. Just be sure not to over do it or they might take your new chuck away on you.  :lol: :lol: Keep on have fun Eric.  :D :D

Cheers  :beer:

Don

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 03:25:25 PM »
Fortunately I can (still) lift things like the 4-jaw, even from the floor if I have been careless enough to put it down there but I feel it is time to begin thinking of some sort of mobile jib or crane.

Those Asian engine lifts are all very well but they are very cumbersome for those with a 'compact' workspace and they need clearance for their front legs, there has to be a better way :proj:

Some many projects, so little time...
From the den of The Artful Bodger

Offline JimM

• Chessington, Surrey
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 04:03:51 PM »
All the best for a full and speedy recovery, bet it's frustrating with the limits on what you can do but top marks for resourceful-ness on overcoming them !

Is the spring on the chuk key just to make sure that you can't leave it in the chuck or does it serve some over purpose ?

Cheers

Jim

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2011, 06:47:46 PM »
Thanks for the get well wishes guys. I'm doing better everyday. The weight limit will increase as time goes on.

Bog's some sort of crane system sure would help you. But from what I've seen of your shop in pictures you have got it organized as good as can be.

Don, I've got a start of a crane sitting in the garage. Just never got my round tuit in time to finish it. I could have used the chain fall I have but I'd need a crane to hang that up to since it's laying on the floor.  :doh:

John, something will come along that can serve as a crane or maybe start an idea to build one.

Jim, I moved a Bridgeport into the basememnt after I took it apart and then assembled it back together in the basement. There's a thread here somwere of how I did it. The limit's are not really that frustrating. It makes the gray matter work a bit harder to come up with a solution. Ofcourse afterwards I always find I could have done that much easier.  :palm:

Hopefuly when I get the back plate and get it all set up I can carry on with my new project that I'm working on.

BTW the weight limits not frustrating. "No dear I can't do that right now it's heavier than 10 pounds." I wonder how long I can keep that up.  :lol:

Bernd

Offline Anzaniste

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2011, 07:36:18 PM »
Wasn't there an article in Model Engineering Workshop some time ago about a sack barrow with a built in platform hoist. If I recall it used a hand cranked trailer winch as the lifting power.
Scrooby, 1 mile south of Gods own County.

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2011, 08:33:55 PM »
Wasn't there an article in Model Engineering Workshop some time ago about a sack barrow with a built in platform hoist. If I recall it used a hand cranked trailer winch as the lifting power.

Thats the scale of thing I have in mind but it is difficult to come up with a design that will not tip forward too easily.  The engine hoist makers get around that by put extendable legs out front but that means clearance under the bench or machine and as you know that space is always full of "junque".  I am wondering how heavy I could make a base and still readily push it around on a smooth concrete floor, several hundred pounds I would think. :coffee:
From the den of The Artful Bodger

Offline Anzaniste

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2011, 02:09:47 AM »
Ability to push anything around must depend on the wheels because to push on the level you are working against friction. Good bearings are essential and just as important is the stiffness of the wheel itself. Soft rubber will have more rolling resistance than hard plastic or cast iron. I have a heavily loaded trolly with what I thought were hardish tyres. The difficulty of  starting off after it has been standing a bit has to be felt to be believed owing to the flats that develop on the standing part of the tyre. I keep meaning to change to hard plastic to see how much better it is how ever it is another roundtuit on the list.

Offline Anzaniste

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2011, 02:35:14 AM »
I've found the article. Its by Dave Fenner in MEW No 133 Christmas 2007. Inevitably it has to have a a forrard section that goes under the bench but it is only a couple of inches deep. I think copyright prevents me from scanning in the article to display here.

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2011, 02:49:35 AM »
If anyone from the UK has the same sort of problem, lifting things up. A good member on here has gifted a wheelchair lift (12 volt) that is for use in a people carrier, estate or largish hatchback type car.

I have had no response when I tried to donate it away last time, but with just a little ingenuity, it would make a great swing out crane for someone's workshop.

I have no space at all to fit it in either my car or shop, otherwise I would.

You would need to pick it up from me, and make a small charity donation. If you were going to use as intended, in a car, then no donation needed.

Bogs
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 02:53:32 AM by Bogstandard »
If you don't try it, you will never know if you can do it.

Location - Crewe, Cheshire

Skype - bandit175

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2011, 08:51:53 AM »
A quick update on the chuck.

The credit card bill finaly came and the chuck was paid for. Still waiting for the backplate. (a small story about this later)

I've also wanted a new four jaw so I ordered the SB1212 a four jaw chuck. I also ordered two more backplates. All this took place Monday morning. Around noon I get a call from Grizzly. Are you sure you want the 2 6" backplates? AH, ya, why? Well the 8" four jaw would need a bigger backplate. I said I couldn't find any for a 8" four jaw in on the web catalog. Next he looks at my order for the three jaw and sees that I still have a backplate on order. "Oh, by the way those backplates are on back order till September."  :bugeye: :jaw: I told him to cancel the order for one back plate, send the four jaw and I'll be a happy camper, for now.

I wanted to get some jobs turned. What to do. I came up with a temporary fix. I'll make one out of aluminum. I know some of you might be aghast at the thought of using aluminum but that's what I'll use for now untill the back plates arrrive.

Come to think of it now he never told me what year it'll be. :doh:  :lol:

Stay tuned, I'll be posting some pics of how I go about this.

Bernd

Offline 75Plus

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2011, 02:29:56 PM »
Bernd,

I have a 6 3/4 X 1 3/4 cast iron flywheel from a tread mill that you are welcome to. Weighs just over 15#. Just pay the postage. I think it will go in a medium Priority Mail flat rate box for $10.95.

It should make a good backplate and can be used as a spare when the Grizzly item arrives.

Joe

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2011, 09:08:29 AM »
Bernd,

I have a 6 3/4 X 1 3/4 cast iron flywheel from a tread mill that you are welcome to. Weighs just over 15#. Just pay the postage. I think it will go in a medium Priority Mail flat rate box for $10.95.

It should make a good backplate and can be used as a spare when the Grizzly item arrives.

Joe

Joe,

Thanks for that offer, appreciate it very much, but I already purchased the aluminum yesterday and started on the project. By the way your suggestion of using a flywheel from a tread mill invoked a search of my inventory of tread mill motors. I found I have 3 of them laying around. Why I never came up with not using those I don't know.  :doh:  :palm:

Again Joe thanks for the kind offer.

Checking my e-mail this morning I find that the 4 jaw chuck is going to be at my door step this after noon. Finally a good set of chucks for the Logan lathe.

Bernd

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2011, 02:52:34 PM »
Checked the front door at 11:00AM and the chuck had arrived. Here's a pic of it sitting on the 1" thick aluminum that will be the temporary backplate.

I'll start a thread in the projects section on making the temp backplates.

Bernd

Offline dickda1

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2011, 08:51:57 PM »
I use an engine hoist to move things around if all else fails.  Probably could put a hoist on the rafters above my machines using some cheap pulleys from Harbor Freight (since you are from the US).

That is also a problem for me.  I am getting to the age where wrestling a substantially heavy 25 cm rotary table is just not an option.  I choose smaller fixtures/equipment that can be moved without breaking my back.

Dick
sunny (mostly) San Francisco, land of looney people, sane politics and occasional earthquakes.