Author Topic: Mill cutting tools-Shars  (Read 10462 times)

Offline DrPatron

Mill cutting tools-Shars
« on: April 30, 2011, 12:03:48 AM »
Can anyone comment on Shars tools, they seem to be priced right but don"t know about quality,  seems like I usually get what I pay for

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
Re: Mill cutting tools-Shars
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 02:57:43 AM »
For getting what you pay for, you can't go far wrong with these ones.

Plenty good enough for general purpose work, and you won't cry your eyes out when you throw them away after blunting or breaking. They really are classed as disposable.

http://richontools.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=15&zenid=8d591c5373289a1c1318706b89699572

Bogs
If you don't try it, you will never know if you can do it.

Location - Crewe, Cheshire

Skype - bandit175

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 03:33:12 AM »
Hi John

Cheers for the link  :dremel:  ,,,,cant go wrong at that price  :thumbup:

Rob

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 08:10:32 AM »
Bog's,

Nice link. Got lots of interesting tooling. Have you purchased from the comapany? Reliable? Thanks.

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline JimM

• Chessington, Surrey
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2011, 08:19:01 AM »
Bog's,

Nice link. Got lots of interesting tooling. Have you purchased from the comapany? Reliable? Thanks.

Bernd

Know I'm not Bogs but I've also used Richon tools and have to say the service is fautless. Great communication and on the last occassion I used them my order turned up before another order I placed with a UK supplier on the same day !

HTH

Jim

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2011, 09:49:02 AM »
Bernd,

I found them very reliable and for the money, very good quality. Plenty good enough for what we use them for. I use both the two and four flute cutters, in both HSS and tungsten, and I also have a full set of the ball cutters, and all have performed perfectly satisfactory in the general purpose materials we use.

I did the same post on HMEM, and they started to complain that the Rockwell count wasn't as good as top quality stuff, and the slot drills were slightly undersized, etc etc.

So I left them to it and left the site. If they are too idiotic to realise that these are not the same as top quality ones, then they are not worth helping.

All I can say is like a lot of things I recommend, most times they will be a lot cheaper than elsewhere, and plenty good enough for what we do. You will always get some people that don't like what I recommend, but more than enough class them as a bargain, that those people can basically be ignored, as they will NEVER be satisfied unless they can boast that they only use the best that money can buy.

Bogs
If you don't try it, you will never know if you can do it.

Location - Crewe, Cheshire

Skype - bandit175

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
  • Portadown, Northern Ireland
    • My Photo website
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2011, 11:43:58 AM »
I too have had a number of orders from Richon and agree totally with Bogs, for the money they are great. I've got a number of their carbide end mills that have worked fine even on titainium.

Also got some diamond coated ball burrs, diamond points, carbide engraving cutters, and others too. They do some hss roughing cutters that are great for hogging out material.

Tim
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe  -  MI0TME

Offline ALB

• Aberdeen
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2011, 02:48:35 PM »
Just want to stick my two bobs worth
I agree with the above comments living in Aberdeen you can't get any engineering tools or conumables at a reasonable price so thanks Bogs for the link stocked up now :beer:
Don't put all your eggs in one basket

Offline DrPatron

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2011, 04:49:41 PM »
Thanks all for the feedback:  Just got a new Bridgeport vertical mill an am tying to get tooled up, any sugestions greatly appreciated

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2011, 05:55:47 PM »
Bernd,

I did the same post on HMEM, and they started to complain that the Rockwell count wasn't as good as top quality stuff, and the slot drills were slightly undersized, etc etc.

Bogs

Thanks John.

Like you said, good enough for what we do. If I want a quality tool then I'll order it, but for general use good enough will work for me.

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline DennisWA

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2011, 01:33:35 AM »
Based on Bogs' recommendation on HMEM I have used Richon and found their prices and speed of service to be first class - I agree that their quality is more than acceptable for the work we do.

Dennis

Offline arnoldb

• Windhoek, Namibia
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2011, 03:52:16 AM »
Another happy Richon customer here in Namibia  :ddb:

I stocked up on a range of cutters earlier this year - both HSS and carbide, and these have performed amazingly well.  Broken 2 carbide cutters so far; purely from taking near-insane cuts in steel to see what they could do, as I'd never had carbide available to me.

In fact, just last week I received some more stuff - a couple more carbide cutters, a selection of diamond pastes, diamond hones and a bunch of needle and riffler files:

The two books came from Camden Miniatures in the UK - the rest from Richon.  4 weeks for the books to arrive, three for the Richon stuff; that's pretty good going to Namibia  :ddb:

Regards, Arnold

Offline lazylathe

• Mastering the art of reducing metal into swarf!
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2011, 07:44:32 PM »
I too have a large order from Richon tools for their end mills.
Took less than two weeks to get to me in Canada!
Great service and they also sent me a bunch of discount codes that you can use as many times as you like till they run out!

Only tested a few out on my new mill and they cut like butter!
Never had the top of the line ones, so nothing to compare to but the finish looks great to me!

Will be ordering more from them when the need arises!

Andrew