Author Topic: Tangential tool holder!  (Read 7424 times)

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
Tangential tool holder!
« on: May 20, 2011, 12:28:22 AM »

tangiental1 by aardvark_akubra, on Flickr

tangiental2 by aardvark_akubra, on Flickr

tangiental4 by aardvark_akubra, on Flickr

tangiental3 by aardvark_akubra, on Flickr

Sorry, no build pictures!

One square section piece (key steel) brazed to another shorter piece then drilled at 12 degree angles in the mill.   I used a square section file to shape the hole after the block was cut open.   Other tools and machines used include drill press,  shaper and of course hack saw.  Final profile arrived at with an angle grinder.  Ten minutes with some emery and two applications of cold blue solution.

Oh yes,  it works very well thank you and sharpening the tool is a 3 second job on the grinder and a lick with a diamond hone.  I dont think  I will be buying many more inserts in the near future.

[thinking]  Just how strong is a brazed joint compared to the parent metal? [/thinking] :coffee:
From the den of The Artful Bodger

Offline cfellows

• In Memoriam
Re: Tangential tool holder!
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 12:50:59 AM »
Nice tool holder!  I built one for my mini lathe and I love it.  I built a jig which lets me grind the tool bit on my belt sander.  Easy to keep sharp and does a super job of cutting.

Chuck

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 02:29:55 AM »
John

I was wondering what you were up to and now I know. Looks like a nice little tool that you have made there John.  :wave:

Cheers  :beer:

Don

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 03:06:57 AM »
I got some materials to build one from Harrogate!!  :D

Nice work  :bow: :bow: :bow: :thumbup:

Chris

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 03:14:11 AM »
Nice! I keep meaning to make one, though for rigidity on my little lathe it might be better to replace the topslide with a solid block and incorporate the toolholder in that.

:scratch: One thing I've always wondered: why are they called "tangential"? The only circle present is the circumference of the work, and none of the surfaces or or edges of the tool is at a tangent to it.

Andy
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 04:09:01 AM »
Nice! I keep meaning to make one, though for rigidity on my little lathe it might be better to replace the topslide with a solid block and incorporate the toolholder in that.

:scratch: One thing I've always wondered: why are they called "tangential"? The only circle present is the circumference of the work, and none of the surfaces or or edges of the tool is at a tangent to it.

Andy

I think that this is - as many other things in life - an aproximation: most of the time HSS-blank is set more or less radially towards object to be turned. This type toolholder "tangential" offers toolbit aproximately tangential...to a rotating object. Could it be?

Pekka