Author Topic: Rotary table storage (Box)  (Read 5291 times)

Offline Davo J

Rotary table storage (Box)
« on: January 21, 2012, 05:14:25 AM »
Hi,
I was just going through the pictures and thought I would post these up as it may give others ideas.
I was given a heap of ply off from the son inlaw that he got from his works (pallet/crate company) so I made a heap of boxes last year for my 10 inch rotary table, chucks, face plates etc. It is something I have wanted for years but never got around to it. After getting a load of ply I needed to use it up to get it out of the way, LOL.

They only started off to be simple ply boxes glued/nail gunned together to keep the rust off the gear and I used hardware I had laying around for years. After some thought I decided to paint them to seal it up with grey house paint I had. After sanding/priming it took 3 coats to make them look anything,  I hate house enamel, LOL
I sealed the inside with PVA glue water down 75/25, which went on much easier than the paint.
It is on caster wheels so it can be stored away easy.

2nd picture
For the inside I used 3 layer of different thickness ply to build it up. Some parts needed to be routed for extra depth. I put a few finger holes in to be able to get things out.

3rd picture
Here the dividing plates etc are in, the sub plate match's all the chucks I own,

4th and 5th picture
And everything in and finished. I added the chains to stop the lid ripping the hinges off.
The sliding compartment in the lid is for the instructions and other rotary table related paper work. It fits a A4 sheet with room to spare.

6th picture
Is of the crane I use to lift the rotary table out and onto the mill. I did make a post about it here a while back
http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=2787.msg29597#msg29597

Dave

Rob.Wilson

Re: Rotary table storage (Box)
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 05:26:56 AM »
Hi Dave

I really like the way you have all the cut outs for all the parts to fit neatly ,,, very professional  job  :clap: :clap: :clap:

Rob

PS,,,I still have not got round to building my shop crane  :Doh:   

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 05:40:18 AM »
Dave

Looks really great. A place for everything and everything in it's place. It doesn't get any better than that. Thanks for sharing with us.  :D :D

Cheers  :beer:

Don

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline Davo J

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 06:24:33 AM »
Thanks,
I had plenty of time to plan it as it was a thought in my head for many years and I did do a bit of researching online, but there is not much around other than a few that have been sold over the years.
The lid has a lip on it that interlocks with the box so hopefully it keeps the air out and rust away. I have only had the box for a few months so time will tell because my shed is a magnet for rust with the up and down in weather and humidity.

Dave

Offline Tony Wells

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 12:04:00 PM »
You might check around and see if you can find some desiccant packs to toss in the box. I know they are available for firearms enthusiasts to keep in their gun safes, in larger packages. I have some 2 lb packs around here some place. The will need to be placed in wifey's oven @200 def for an hour about once a year to dry them out.

edit: typo & stickyspacebar
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 01:36:06 PM by Tony Wells »
Resistance is NOT Futile,
it is Voltage Divided By Current!

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2012, 12:39:36 PM »
Good idea Tony on the packs...

Davo... Very nice box. Definitely thought out and laid out.  :bow:

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline DaveH

• Kempton Park, South Africa
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2012, 03:02:37 PM »
Dave,

One smart box - nicely made :thumbup: :clap:

Just thinking along the lines of Tony's post.

Buy a couple of tons of it and line your shed with it.
 :beer:
DaveH
(Ex Leicester, Thurmaston, Ashby De La Zouch.)

Offline wheeltapper

• Spixworth Norfolk
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2012, 05:57:40 PM »
Very nice and neat.
I made one for my 4" rotab but it's knocked up from MDF.
all the bits fit in and I threw half a dozen desiccant packs in, my workshop is the garage and it's a damp magnet.

Ill see if I can get a pic of mine, if it's not too cold.

Roy
I used to be confused, now I just don't know.