Author Topic: CNC'd Loco Wheel & Earning Brownie Points  (Read 28403 times)

Offline philf

CNC'd Loco Wheel & Earning Brownie Points
« on: April 02, 2012, 06:38:43 PM »
Having finished my CNC miller I wanted to try to cut a wheel for the model "Lion" loco I'm building.

I modelled the wheel in ViaCad:

and today I had a go at cutting one:

The code was generated for me in Vectric Aspire. I used a 3.5mm ball ended cutter for profiling, 3d roughing and 3d finishing. There were about 18,000 lines of code and it took only 19 minutes to cut.

I was really mystified by the order the wheel was cut - it seemed totally random and I was somewhat disappointed that the finished item didn't look like the model. Chamfers on the model weren't completed on the part (only the chamfers adjacent to the spokes were cut!) and the spokes weren't radiused like on the model - it made some attempt at rads but they weren't complete. The rim certainly isn't good enough to run on a rail.

I'm wondering if using a much smaller cutter might improve matters (I can't think why it should) - I'll try get the code redone for me using a 2mm b/e cutter for the 3d finishing to see how it ends up.

The 19 minute cutting time was so quick because it's cut in MDF (painted gold afterwards to make it look like brass) at 1,000mm/min feed rate with a 6mm depth of cut. If cut in mild steel or cast iron I'd probably be using about 100mm/min and max 4mm depth of cut so the cutting time would be more than 3 hours (and with a 2mm cutter probably more than 8 hours!) It will be an interesting exercise but in the end I think I'll have to shell out for the castings.

I've just finished painting the front door and thought I'd finish it off with an engraved number courtesy of the CNC. I've earned a few more Brownie points (which equates to more time in the workshop!)  :thumbup: :

Cheers.

Phil
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 02:45:31 PM by philf »
Phil Fern

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
Re: CNC'd Loco Wheel & Earning Brownie Points
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 02:40:17 AM »
Hi Phil, your door plate looks great, nice one!

I think your wheel looks amazing too but I`m taking from your message that your not that impressed. Your finish is good for MDF - I know you gave use the feed but what spindle speed did you use?

Chris

Offline philf

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 03:37:31 AM »
Hi Phil, your door plate looks great, nice one!

I think your wheel looks amazing too but I`m taking from your message that your not that impressed. Your finish is good for MDF - I know you gave use the feed but what spindle speed did you use?

Chris

Hi Chris,

I was quite happy with the door plate and , more importantly, so was my wife. To earn some more points I need to get some plastering done on the hall, stairs and landing - she can't see the character in bare brick walls!

The wheel shows some promise and that the miller works OK. Another friend, who used to work for Cosworth, has offered to produce the code for me on a high-end CAM package and so I might take him up on the offer. I think it will still take too long to machine out of a useable material. I used my maximum spindle speed of 10,000rpm and stood holding my vacuum cleaner over it for the 19 minutes - MDF dust isn't very healthy.

I suppose if I were to get into casting I'd at least be able to make the patterns ................

Cheers.

Phil.
Phil Fern

Offline 75Plus

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 10:15:00 AM »

What's wrong with this picture?

With such a beautifully finished door plate the attaching screws cry out to have their slots in perfect alignment!!!! :med:

Joe

Offline philf

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 10:22:43 AM »

What's wrong with this picture?

With such a beautifully finished door plate the attaching screws cry out to have their slots in perfect alignment!!!! :med:

Joe

Thanks Joe - I'll go out and line them up now!

(They're now all vertical - is that OK - or do you think they'd be better horizontal?)

:beer:

Phil.
Phil Fern

Offline 75Plus

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 11:18:51 AM »
Phil, I tend to think vertical is best. I believe horizontal would tend to make the plate appear shorter.

Joe

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 05:47:20 PM »
I think Posidrive screws would have looked much better.........   :thumbup:

:D

David D

P.S.
Nice looking wheel. I thought it was a bronze casting..........  :scratch:
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2012, 07:18:44 PM »
can you straighten the barrel on the lock please, and please don't put pizza screws in, they are for amateurs, real men use slots. :ddb:

anyway really nice job lets see some more and the mill doing it  :drool:

:ddb: :nrocks: :ddb: Peter  :ddb: :nrocks: :ddb:
I am usless at metalwork, Oh and cannot spell either . failure

Offline philf

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2012, 04:01:56 AM »
can you straighten the barrel on the lock please, and please don't put pizza screws in, they are for amateurs, real men use slots. :ddb:

anyway really nice job lets see some more and the mill doing it

Peter, David D

My wife spotted the barrel yesterday - it will be sorted as soon as it's fit to open the front door - it's snowing heavily at the moment and it's very windy.

I agree with Peter (sorry David) - pozidrives are rather industrial and would look out of place on my 116 year old Victorian front door (3' 9" wide and no chance of it ever being replaced with a white UPVC one where pozidrives might be acceptable).

I'm going to have another go at an MDF wheel. I think some of the problem might be that I exported the model from ViaCad at too low a resolution. I need to get the code redone and I may try videoing some of it being machined again.

Cheers.

Phil.
Phil Fern

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2012, 04:41:41 AM »
Peter, Phil.
Yes, I have to agree, on an aged door.  :thumbup:

With a "Victorian", stainless plate and Yale lock......   :D

David D
David.

Offline philf

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2012, 04:56:31 AM »
Peter, Phil.
Yes, I have to agree, on an aged door.  :thumbup:

With a "Victorian", stainless plate and Yale lock......   :D

David D

Hi David,

To quote the Yale website: "Linus Yale Sr.'s son joined his father in the business in 1850 and perfected and patented his father's pin tumbler cylinder lock and became the considered locking expert of his time." (I'm sure mine doesn't date back to any time earlier than the 1960s or 70s - a couple of years ago I had to turn new pins for it out of bronze welding rod because it had become unreliable - it should be OK for another 30 years or so.  :thumbup:)

The door plate is actually brass! I satin finished it with fine wet & dry before applying a coat of lacquer. It was going dark when I took the photo so the colour doesn't show up well.

Cheers.

Phil.
Phil Fern

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2012, 05:54:55 AM »
Brass!!  :bugeye:     Ah...... That's more like it!  :clap: :clap: :thumbup:

I'm wrong on all counts, again!   :Doh:

Incidentally, we've got the same weather....... And a garden crew stripping the turf off my front lawn.........  :(

David D
David.

Offline Bluechip

• Madmodder Committee
  • Derbyshire UK
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2012, 07:54:21 AM »

And a garden crew stripping the turf off my front lawn.........  :(

David D

:scratch:  :scratch:

Wossat then ??? AFAIK if the turf is gone, you don't have a lawn anyway ..

Dave BC

I have a few modest talents. Knowing what I'm doing isn't one of them.

Offline philf

Re: CNC'd Loco Wheel - Mark 2
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2012, 12:58:41 PM »
I had another go at my loco wheel today.

I downloaded a free 30 day trial of MeshCam last night and was quite impressed of how easy it was to get some output from it.

I used the same stl model which was used to generate the code from Aspire.

MeshCam generated two files for me - roughing & finishing.

The Aspire generated code took 19 minutes to finish the wheel. The MeshCam files a total of 80 minutes! (44 for roughing and 36 for finishing.)

The finished item looks much better!  :thumbup: The rim would be good enough to run on (if it wasn't made of MDF) and the roots and rads on all the spokes are finished properly. (There is a mystery pyramid shaped lump on one of the spokes that wasn't cleaned up (on the spoke at about 7:30 near the hub).  :scratch: )

First picture is of the wheel after roughing:

Next is after finishing:

Finished Meshcam wheel:

Finished Aspire wheel - note the lack of full radii on the section of the spokes and odd terminations of the fillets on both ends of the spokes:

I tried to video some of the process (turn the volume down - it's very noisy with the CNC and vacuum cleaner running and I don't know how to edit it!):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16648905@N04/7048228979/in/photostream

I'm sure I could dramatically reduce the cutting time by roughing the spokes with Cut2d and finishing with MeshCam after adjusting some of the settings. I think it would still take too long to cut out of steel.  :(

Next thing to try is one without the radii on the spokes - I think it's these that take most of the time and the wheel may look OK without them.

Phil.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 02:44:18 PM by philf »
Phil Fern

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2012, 01:58:04 PM »
Hey Phil...

What are you using for a CNC? Have you answered that already? I am losing it...

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline philf

« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2012, 02:04:33 PM »
Hey Phil...

Eric

Hi Eric,

I did a post about it a couple of weeks ago:

http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=6964.msg74694#msg74694

Cheers.

Phil.

Phil Fern

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2012, 02:12:49 PM »
Hi Phil

The MeshCam wheel looks allot better than the wheel cut with Aspire ,,,,,,,,  wonder why  :scratch:  it also did not cut into the rim inner as Aspire did .

Whats the cutting time for one in steel/cast iron ?

Rob

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2012, 02:27:51 PM »
I`m sure an obvious question, but how are the estimated times being generated - i.e does it have a input for the material (so it "knows" what it is cutting) or are you choosing the feed rates and obviously a slower feed with the metal?

Both look good BTW!

Chris

Offline philf

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2012, 02:39:14 PM »
Hi Phil

The MeshCam wheel looks allot better than the wheel cut with Aspire ,,,,,,,,  wonder why  :scratch:  it also did not cut into the rim inner as Aspire did .

Whats the cutting time for one in steel/cast iron ?

Rob

Hi Rob,

The Aspire created file didn't cut into the rim too much - it just didn't bother to cut the chamfer in between the spokes at either the rim or the hub ends!

Both wheels were cut at 10,000rpm and 1,000mm/min feed with a 6mm max depth of cut. In steel I would only use perhaps 100mm/min and 3mm (maybe 4mm) depth. I'm guessing that the MeshCAM created code without any tweaking would take about 12 hours in steel! It's an interesting exercise if nothing else and I'm learning all the time.

I've just given the new wheel a coat of varnish to keep it looking nice.

Chris,

Both programs need you to input what spindle speed, feed rate and depth of cut you require. I guess the high end CAM packages work it all out for you based on the material you are using.

Mach3 can tell you what time your GCode will take to run.

Cheers.

Phil.
Phil Fern

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2012, 02:52:30 PM »
Hey Phil...

Eric

Hi Eric,

I did a post about it a couple of weeks ago:

http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=6964.msg74694#msg74694

Cheers.

Phil.

Yes you did!

Told you I was losing it!
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline David Jupp

• Teesside - UK
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2012, 03:00:41 PM »
I have no direct experience of either package that Phil used - I do know from my limited exposure to CAM (mainly Alibre CAM) that there may well be 'non-obvious' setting options that can make a big difference to the outcome.

It would be interesting to understand if the 'better' looking results with MeshCam are due to inherently better gcode generation, or just default settings (for something in the program) that suit this job better than those in Aspire.  I.E. with 'equivalent settings' (not necessarily easy if the terminology doesn't match) would the results be similar in both packages?

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2012, 03:07:43 PM »
Don't care what prog's been used. I left all that far behind, when I finished working for a living.   :D

The first wheel's very nice. But, the second one's superb!   :thumbup:

Well done Phil!   :clap: :clap:

David D
David.

Offline philf

« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2012, 03:57:21 PM »
I have no direct experience of either package that Phil used - I do know from my limited exposure to CAM (mainly Alibre CAM) that there may well be 'non-obvious' setting options that can make a big difference to the outcome.

It would be interesting to understand if the 'better' looking results with MeshCam are due to inherently better gcode generation, or just default settings (for something in the program) that suit this job better than those in Aspire.  I.E. with 'equivalent settings' (not necessarily easy if the terminology doesn't match) would the results be similar in both packages?

Hi David,

I don't have Aspire - the code was generated for me - so I can't really comment on why it didn't work out. I didn't mess about with the MeshCAM settings - I just installed it and it worked!

I'll experiment with the MeshCAM settings to see if I can speed everything up without cocking up the result too much.

I will probably end up buying Vectric Cut3d and then I can at least discuss the problems with Vectric. (I bought Cut2d and am very pleased with it.) Although MeshCAM seems such a bargain at the moment. Maybe I need both!

Alibre was recommended to me but it's cost rules it out.

Cheers.

Phil.
Phil Fern

Offline David Jupp

• Teesside - UK
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2012, 04:41:41 PM »
Phil - I certainly wasn't recommending Alibre CAM (it's based on Mecsoft VisualMill).  I don't have anything like enough experience to pass any kind of judgement on it.  It may not be the most expensive, but certainly isn't bargain basement either.

Actually getting sufficient information to understand if a particular CAM package might be good for you or not seems to be quite tricky.  The fact that your were easily able to get such a good result (apart from the minor bleb you highlighted) is a plus for MeshCam.  Ease of use is probably more important than absolute capability for many hobbyists.

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2012, 06:24:08 PM »
Phil,
send me the stl file and what tooling you wnat to use, speeds and feeds and I'll bung it thri Cut 3D and post you the code.

john [ at ] stevenson-engineers.co.uk
John Stevenson