Author Topic: Show your welding carts?  (Read 10463 times)

Offline krakenatwork

Show your welding carts?
« on: May 27, 2013, 07:07:56 PM »
Hi there!

Just willing to peek at other people's welder cart, i'll start by showing off mine first.  :clap:  It's a way to share interesting ideas.

Built from a hand truck, a cheapo welder cart that could store only a diminutive gas bottle, a pair of 6' long 1 1/2" angle stock, some bolts and welding wire :)

It can be opened by removing 2 bolts on the left side, 2 bolts w/lock-nuts on the right side act as hinges, to install the gas bottle in place.

Yes, the extensions are home-made :)

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
Re: Show your welding carts?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 10:18:54 AM »
That's a pretty nifty cart. I currently don't have one. Maybe one day...

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline DavidA

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 04:00:20 PM »
My MIG fits under the bench for most of it's life.  The TIG is carried around via it's shoulder strap.  Still have to lug the darn bottle around though.

Dave

Offline krakenatwork

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 08:23:10 PM »
My MIG fits under the bench for most of it's life.  The TIG is carried around via it's shoulder strap.  Still have to lug the darn bottle around though.

I don't own TIG (dah!), maybe one day...

Regarding a bench, alas I don't have a shop in the proper sense of the name; a room in the basement, where everything's crammed, and when I have a job to do I must carry the (portable) bench saw outside.  The cart is stored in a (very dry) shed outside.  That's why I wanted a cart in the first place :)

Offline markball2

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2013, 10:48:48 PM »
Kinda full................
I haven't always been a nurse..................

Craftsman 12 x 36 lathe
New to me Enco GL-30B Mill/Drill

Offline krakenatwork

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2013, 09:17:52 AM »
Nice stuff here markball  :thumbup:

Why 2 wire welders?  I noted there's one hooked to the big gas bottle and the other is not hooked to any bottle at all, you keep one ready for FCAW and the other one for GMAW?

It's nice that the hobart and the lincoln opens on opposite sides  :clap:

Offline markball2

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2013, 09:31:59 AM »
The Lincoln was a project I couldn't pass up.  Got it for $75, had to put a new liner & a few other small repairs, but it ran great.  I used it to weld some stainless with Tri-Mix, kept the Hobart with steel.  Both are rated at 175A.  Anything heavier that I needed more amps, the stick welder below will handle that.

I've since sold the Lincoln, picked up a Chicago Electric TIG welder & I'm adding a foot pedal to it.  It's rated at 165A.  Now I have 3 bottles on the cart - 75/25 Ar/CO2, 100% Argon & Acetylene B tank.  The Tri-mix is standing in the corner waiting to be uses.  I'll probably swap it for an Oxygen bottle so I can use my cutting torch.

It's a heavy beast, but rolls pretty well once it gets rolling.
I haven't always been a nurse..................

Craftsman 12 x 36 lathe
New to me Enco GL-30B Mill/Drill

Offline Limo

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2013, 10:34:10 PM »
I just finished making it this morning. The welder was a little too heavy to lug around so this was my solution. Nothing fancy.

Wil

Offline RodW

• Vehicle Modifications Network
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2013, 08:14:37 AM »
Not exactly a welding cart but a mini welding table!

I got some components laser cut (how else as I going to get a small piece (600mmx600mm) of 10 mm steel for the top

And a spot for a vice to slide in like a 2" receiver on a towbar I used angle Iron for this cos thats all I had!

A messy photo I know but my welder was on wheels already (weighs 90 kg (198 lb) not counting the bottle of gas so I did not need a cart but I built the table so the welder fits underneath it.  For a small job, I do it on the spot but if I have a bit to do, I drag the table out and work on the opposite side where the vice is.

A bit hard to see the vice but it is to the right of the blue bottle of lathe oil. The bandsaw, welder and table are all on wheels so they can be dragged out of the shed and down to the carport at the other end of the shed if required.

If you do make something like this, make sure the top has a 2" overhang from the top frame so you can use a clamp. Best dvice I ever got. Thicker steel for the top would be good (16mm?) but as it was, I could barely lift it so that was a factor too.
RodW
Brisbane, Australia

Offline puretexan

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2013, 11:43:20 AM »
I will show my version. I have a Miller cricket 70 amp wire welder. I have used it
for 35 years , building everything. Use to build street rods and then a few motorcycles, and for the last 6 years ...bike frames. I decided a little bigger mig would cleanup my welds. So I had to build a stand. I noticed they all had the top
tilted....I did mine that way too. Not sure why.
I used 2''... 1/8'' thick square tubing.

Using my new Hobart 140 mig made my welds look better right away.

I had the casters and got them welded on.

So with the frame welded I screwed some 3/4'' wood on.

I had some 3/4'' aluminum angle and used it for trim.

A friend owns a fab shop so he cut me a couple pieces of stainless to stop
the machines from scratching the paint.

So with my new Hobart 140 and my old Miller cricket, it can be rolled around my small shop and has become a mobil welding station.