Author Topic: Lathe out, Die filer in.  (Read 8012 times)

bogstandard

Lathe out, Die filer in.
« on: March 08, 2009, 07:10:02 PM »
Darren picked up his reworked lathe yesterday, leaving behind a little bit of bench space. But at the same time Stewart very kindly donated a die filer for my workshop, as he had no use for it at the moment.

We had covered it up with tarps yesterday, ready for my friend to come tomorrow and lift it into the shop. Unfortunately, I couldn't wait, and with the help of a sack truck, got it into the shop and up onto its new home.

This is no ordinary workshop flimsy die filer, but a real professional jobbie. The attached ticket said January 1966, and I have no reason to doubt that date, only to say that this machine looks like it has hardly been used. This is showing it off with the detachable u-shaped arm.

A side shot showing how the detachable arms fit into a socket.

Opening the drive belt cover reveals it has two speeds, I suspect one is faster than the other :scratch:

A very original name, typical of the 50's and 60's, also proudly showing it's provenance.

This is the fully dovetailed and jibbed, sprung loaded tension head. I have incorrectly fitted it with a small round file, it's true use is to hold the top end of a hacksaw blade or Abrafile type blade. To keep it under tension to prevent breakage.
There is also an adjustable hold down bar to prevent the job being lifted from the table during the back stroke of the blade.

A tilting cast iron table, allowing tilt 10 degrees either side of vertical. It doesn't need to be any more, as this was used to put the release taper into the die or mould that was being cut. For the use I will be using it for, 45 degrees would have been perfect. Maybe I can look to see if that can be extended a bit at a later date.

The main ram of the unit, with the built in holding clamp sticking up from the oil filled gearbox.
If you look at the top right of the shot, under the table, it looks like there should be something to be mounted in that position. I would imagine it is some sort of table top guide to allow for the filing or cutting of straight lines. Nothing came with the machine for that, but with a little imagination and work, I am sure I can knock up a guide fence to go on there.

This is the bit I should have fitted. It has a hardened roller for the file to be pressed against to stop it flexing, and also another hold down bar

DOES IT WORK?

Sure does, this was a couple of minutes on a 1/8" thick brass plate.

A machine built like this doesn't have owners, just custodians. It will surely outlast a few people, it is built like a battleship.

All it needs is an NVR switch, and it will be ready to go into production.

As Stew knows, he has given it to the workshop, not me, and if ever he needs the use of one, it will be here, ready and waiting.

This benchtop is the only space I have left in my shop for machinery, so when my lathe toolholders and chuck jaws are found new homes, the only bit left will be for a CNC benchtop mill. Then the workshop should be truly universal. Except maybe for a tool and cutter grinder, a bigger bandsaw, an hydraulic press etc. etc. :dremel:

A very happy and appreciative Bogs  :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb:

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
Re: Lathe out, Die filer in.
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 07:21:37 PM »
Ooooo..... looks like fun!!  :dremel:

I wanna go!  :D

Don't know of anything I need to make?? So a squiggly line like yours would make me just smile a lot I'm sure John  :)   

You'll have to give me a demo on the next visit :wave:

That bench looks very tidy John, you been busy?  :scratch:

Nice bit of kit that Stew, we know it'll be looked after   :thumbup:

Ralph.
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 07:26:21 PM »
Nice looking addition you have there John, it even lloked good when I saw it in pieces yesterday. Very substantial.. :ddb: :ddb: :ddb:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 04:29:35 AM »
Hi John

Pleased  :D that its gone somware where it will be apriciated and used, its a crying shame when good bits of machinery end up on the scrap heap,  :(

Its had bit of a history of being passed on from owner to owner, I got it from a friend, who got it when he went to pick up some leatherworking machinery he bought on ebay the chap just said do you want this as well I don't know what its for, my friend said yes not knowing either, he asked me if a knew what it was and when I said yes he just gave it to me.

I just didn't realy have the room for it, and only used it infrequently it sat on a bench over the wifes tumble dryer, when you switch it on the whole bench bounsed up and down.

Cheers
 :wave:
Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 04:47:25 AM »
Ooooh...... That`s nice!  :thumbup:

The first (and last) time I saw one of those was in the works toolroom, in 1960......  ::)

David.
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

bogstandard

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 05:51:37 AM »
I have very high hopes for this little machine. :thumbup:

Thru my contacts, I have a range of larger sized diamond files on order, so that I can accurately cut profile shaped tools directly into the face of HSS tooling or even tungsten. :dremel:

I also have some way out ideas for flywheel spokes, and this little beauty will be able to cut them out with ease. :smart:

Only the imagination will be able to come up with new ideas that this machine will be able to perform, and all to be achieved without aching arms and blistered fingers. :clap:

Brain ticking over Bogs

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2009, 06:23:21 AM »
What a great idea John to make form tools, rock on  :headbang: or should I say file on.

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road

Offline Cornish Jack

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2012, 01:15:07 PM »
Long time no input on this thread but I have just (to quote John Bogs) become custodian of a New Wonder die filer. It appears to be similar to Bogs's machine minus the overarm. Question is - does anyone have any manuals/ info on it or a pointer to possible source/(s)?
Thanks in advance.
Rgds
Bill