Author Topic: Only just getting back into it and leaving again...  (Read 8029 times)

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
Only just getting back into it and leaving again...
« on: May 30, 2014, 05:59:32 PM »
Well after doing very little over the last few months,in fact realistically the last year, I was finally getting right back in the groove with the enthusiasm and excitement for my clockmaking and engineering. My wife and I decided to put the house on the market on Monday, we had a board up on Tuesday and today we have just sold it! I've been told that since the workshop is such a big job, I have to start clearing it now! So there it is...only just got back and now I'm off again. I'm very excited about my new workshop though - outdoor garage not connected to the house with plenty of light and loads of room to expand... Providing we get that house of course!!

Tomorrow I start packing up the tools.    :-(   Just going to keep enough tools up to attempt to make this depthing tool I've posted about on the design forum.
Chris

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Re: Only just getting back into it and leaving again...
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 07:12:08 PM »
I trust that the new place was chosen for it's workshop potential without having to be underground like the last place  :lol:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline SwarfnStuff

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2014, 01:47:02 AM »
Hi Chris,
Do yourself a favour and mark the boxes as you pack. Searching at the other end of your shift for the, "Where did I pack this" box gets beyond a joke.  :Doh:   Been there done that.   :doh:
John B
Converting good metal into swarf sometimes ending up with something useful. ;-)

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2014, 03:37:09 AM »
Wishing you good luck, Chris.  :thumbup:

With every part of your new adventure.......  :)

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline garym

• Manchester, England
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2014, 05:54:30 AM »
Hi Chris,

How are you going to go about shifting all the machinery? My wife and I have always talked about moving when we retire but as I put more effort into establishing a workshop I can't help thinking it might never happen and I'll opt for the easy option of staying put.

Best of luck with the move. With your work rate I'm sure you'll be back up and running in no time.

Gary
Workshop activity resumes now ankle improving :-)

Offline AussieJimG

• In Memoriam
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2014, 06:06:46 AM »
New house, new furniture, new whitegoods, new workshop tools. Goes without saying!!!  Just do it!

Jim

Offline mattinker

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2014, 07:00:36 AM »
Your workshop experience is going to help you to set up a better new one.

Important, you need the workshop to do all those "honey dos" so it comes first or nearly!!!

Regards, Matthew.

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2014, 10:30:49 AM »
Great news Chris, good luck with the new buy and best of luck in setting up your new shop.... :thumbup:

Don't forget pictures  after the move.... :worthless:
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline porker

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2014, 11:23:16 AM »
Hi Chris, good luck with the move. I'm in a similar position as we are just in the process of moving. House is sold and we have found another but I am also now having to work out what to do with the workshop. Unlike you though, it looks like I get a smaller workshop than I have now  :palm: but to be fair still bigger than a lot of people so I should count myself lucky. I'm getting rid of a couple of big items like my Q&S Donkey saw but I still have my Bridgeport to move. It was a real pain to get in there, so not really sure what to do. The other stuff like my Myford S7 is not too heavy to move so main issue is the mill. SWMBO wants me to sell it as my time will be spent doing up the house  :bang:.
Anybody who has done this move - would be good to know how you did this.
Matt

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2014, 11:44:39 AM »
That's good news, Chris, you'll love the extra space and ability to get everything organized properly within. Plus it's separate and your own space. Sounds great!  :thumbup:
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2014, 04:16:16 PM »
I have no idea why I put this in the cork board - sorry mods, feel free to move it to the water cooler.

It's been a sad day, I've spent from 7:30am until 8pm dismantling the workshop. Everything is moved to storage I've just got another few boxes of stuff to shift. My hoped of having stuff available to use in storage is looking grim as I've so much stuff and so little space :-(

Anyway, it should be good having a new workshop to plan....

I'm thinking of treating myself to an upgrade from the boxford! :-)

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2014, 04:34:48 PM »
I always look forward to upgrading equipment there is so much stuff and so little time!  :D

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2014, 07:30:32 PM »
Evening guys...  :wave: it's been a while.

I'm sat in bed and can't sleep. Just wanted to say that it's taken near 13 weeks but we exchanged today and will be moving tomorrow!! I've had to tare myself away from here over the last few months as it was driving me nuts not being able to work on anything :dremel:

So fingers crossed if tomorrow goes to plan, give it a week to get the house sorted and I should be back in action!!

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2014, 09:06:34 PM »
Great Chris! Looking forward to your return -- and your clocks!  :thumbup: Are you moving the arcade machine,too?   :beer:
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2014, 02:25:18 AM »
Chris.

Wishing you good luck, with the moving mayhem, and it's aftermath..........  :thumbup:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2014, 02:29:51 AM »
Moving is an interesting excercise. Give some serious time for it, do all necessities that keeps your family happy and try to move all stuff into new household in theris right rooms. Nothing like having toiletries in the kichen in a box under the table and searching pans from the un-named box in the closet.

One exception: I had very good exprience of storing all garage/hobby stuff and moving heavy machines in their places first. Then use time to retrieve rest of the stuff from the storage and put all stuff on their nearly correct places. Few times I have rushed projects and caused a chaos that I'm still finding new old tools :lol:

You need new storage selfs, table, cuppboard and such, have them sorted out. You probably don't have extremely much to spend after moving into a new house, but buy very large and sturdy storage self unit (something like 500 kg/self) and put there all boxes labeld. Boxes on the floor take up a lot of space and one box in the middle is chore to sort out.

I probably used one month moving my trashures (my threasure, other people tend to think tools and metals as a thrash) one or two plastic boxes at a time to sort out and go trough all the stuff.

I probably would give me a whole autumn or even winter to build and organize a new workshop.

You may be whole more organized than I am, but when I'm dealing with this kind of thing I need to make an effort to pack/move/organize things such way that everything has it's correct place insted just sifting junk/valuable stuff mixed from one place to another.

Moving is a lot of work, but in the end you are going to enjoy on your new well lit work shop.

Pekka

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2014, 02:43:06 AM »
Good luck with the move Chris. They say it's one of the most stressful things you do in your life.

When we moved here we were #8 in a chain of 9 transactions, and the ones at the start of the chain being first time buyers didn't have a clue, and also had used one of the online cheepo solicitors. None of the paperwork was in the right place, and those of us at the top of the chain had to arrange bike couriers to move documents up and down the country for signing. Being towards the end of these transactions, no way was it all going to be actually physically done and moneys transferred on the appointed day. So the chap buying my place, the fellows we were buying from and ourselves all handed over keys a couple of days earlier, quietly without telling our solicitors. Otherwise on the first day we'd all have had to stay in hotels and also pay the removal company for overnight storage of all our worldly goods. In the event the money for our place wasn't in the bank until 4 pm on the day after completion  :bugeye:

Solicitors would have been horrified but it was the pragmatic thing to do in the circumstances.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline 75Plus

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2014, 06:02:50 PM »

You may be whole more organized than I am, but when I'm dealing with this kind of thing I need to make an effort to pack/move/organize things such way that everything has it's correct place insted just sifting junk/valuable stuff mixed from one place to another.

Pekka

Organized people are just too lazy to look for stuff!! :lol: :lol:

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2014, 06:34:42 PM »
Organized people are just too lazy to look for stuff!! :lol: :lol:

I like that one.  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers  :beer:

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best