Author Topic: Which motor control board should I use?  (Read 2476 times)

Offline stryder99

Which motor control board should I use?
« on: August 29, 2014, 10:52:05 AM »
I have a HF 7X14 lathe that I would like to get a little more performance out of. I have read many threads, here and elsewhere, about motor changes; gear reduction systems; etc. I believe that my machine has the 250W motor and the motor control board FC250. Will upgrading to a KBLC, KBIC motor cont. bd. give me some additional performance from the existing motor?If yes, is there a difference between the two KB boards and do I need the PECO speed controller add-on bd. Thanks for any help you can shed on this subject.

Offline John Rudd

Re: Which motor control board should I use?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 12:41:04 PM »
From my own personal experiences, I'd recommend the KB board to anyone wanting to upgrade.....The KB offering is by far a superior board, however, you would need the appropriate horsepower resistor to avoid overloading your motor...
Not knowing your level of expertise, you would be best reading thru the KB literature and setup procedure prior to engaging in any expense, just to familiarise your self with what is involved.....and then deciding....
A new KB board will run you around £85, it pays to shop around...second hand ones are available from time to time at reasonable prices....

( if you're interested in a s/h board pm me. :coffee: )
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline velocette

Re: Which motor control board should I use?
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 03:47:02 PM »
Hi
As a DC motor addict the KB electronics control is an excellent replacement you can research more info @

http://www.kbelectronics.com/Variable_Speed_DC_Drives.html

Have taken the liberty to attach a PDF file on the setup of a KB setup manual they are a little daunting at first but very clear steps to set up correctly.

Another source for controllers is

http://www.surpluscenter.com/Electric-Motors/DC-Motors/Motor-Speed-Controllers/90-180-VDC-SPEED-CONTROL-W-POT-11-2269.axd

I have imported them to New Zealand for my own projects and find the very satisfactory for motor control.
The price is reasonable but postage and packing is a bit steep.
Keep us posted
 Eric