Author Topic: Where can I find sets of wire gage bits with expanded shanks?  (Read 4656 times)

Offline jonogt

I've been wanting to find a set like this for quite a long time.  The only time I've actually seen one is in a jewelry class I took in high school.  Another student brought it in from home to work on something specific... I think it was bit #'s 60 through 80, and each one was set in a precision formed 1/4" shank.  They weren't hex shanks, just cylindrical. 

I've needed bits like this when I want to drill and tap holes for 0-80 and 1-72 screws... the drill chuck on our press and mill are both too large to hold such a small bit as precisely as I'd like when drilling said holes in numerous quantities.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?  I've looked online quite a lot and just can't find what I want.

Thanks,
-Jon

bogstandard

Re: Where can I find sets of wire gage bits with expanded shanks?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 04:34:57 AM »
Hi Jon,

Maybe the way to solve your dilemma might be to buy a PIN CHUCK, don't confuse it with a PIN VICE. They are very similar, only pin vices are for hand holding small drills.

A pin chuck allows you to accurately hold very small drills, and then put it into your normal drill chuck for use.

This is an English site, but I am sure you will be able to find a US one. Do a Google search for PIN CHUCK, or Amazon usually has them.

PIN CHUCK

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-Axminster-Pin-Chuck-Set-33442.htm

PIN VICE

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-Axminster-Pin-Vice-Set-33440.htm

John
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 09:28:02 AM by bogstandard »

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 06:18:49 AM »
I have to agree with bog, as the drills you speak inspire to much confidence in their ability to do the job. I had a couple of them and they all broke. Due to, to much force used, to much speed etc.
Most any tool supplier should have an assortment of styles and prices.
glen
"The internet just a figment, of my imagination!' 

There are only 3 things I can't do!"
Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
and I'm working on the first two!
glen

Offline jonogt

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 08:07:18 AM »
Well I dunno how I reached 21 years of age without discovering such a tool, but that is a MUCH BETTER solution than what I came here seeking   :clap:  I've broken a handful of these, mostly in the #60 to #80 range, so the idea of permanently mounting fragile ~$0.40 bits in individual ~$1.50 shanks did seem pretty off kilter, but the set that I saw in class was so elegant and perfect (atleast while in the fine hardwood case  ::) ) that it became the answer to drilling small holes and I never gave it any more thought.

I will be purchasing one of these in the very near future  :dremel:  Thanks very much for the advice.

-Jon
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 08:29:07 AM by jonogt »

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 06:48:02 PM by Bernd »
Route of the Black Diamonds