Author Topic: How do I make a jig to do work on a hammer from a pistol?  (Read 2741 times)

Offline black85vette

How do I make a jig to do work on a hammer from a pistol?
« on: September 10, 2014, 09:52:14 PM »
Figuring one of you may have done this.   Searched all over and have not found anything.  I want to build a jig to reduce the hammer hook from my Ruger MkIII 22/45.  I have smoothed and lightened the trigger and now just want to remove some of the creep.   Need to be able to keep the edge square with the sear.   I have seen some commercial jigs with rollers to guide the stone and like that idea.   Thought I would ask rather than start from zero.

Offline Eugene

Re: How do I make a jig to do work on a hammer from a pistol?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 05:20:04 AM »
When I've worked on trigger / sears /hammers I've just drilled holes in a steel block and placed pins in them with the same geometry as the gun, then used a fine stone and black from a candle flame to show where I've been. On some guns where the side plate comes off it can be done in situ; turn up some threaded pins and bolt them to the frame through the existing action holes.

Alternatively on page 136 of "Gunsmithing with Simple Hand Tools" by Andrew Dubino there is a diagram of how to attach a piece of steel rod to a vice that can then act as a simple stoning jig. All you do is put a threaded hole into the end face of one of the vice jaws, and cross drill a 4" piece of rod. Put a screw through the rod and tighten up using a spirit level to keep it dead flat. Arrange the hole so that the rod is about 1/16 th or so above the vice jaws.

Here's a pic of a precision filing jig for a lathe; you could easily adapt it to action and trigger work; Hemingway kits in UK sell the parts for home assembly .... I'm going to make one only a home brew version a bit bigger.

Eug

Offline black85vette

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2014, 07:30:28 AM »
Awesome.  Thanks for the tips.   I knew someone on this forum would have some clever ideas.  :thumbup:

Had not thought of modifying a vise.   I could use another small vise with a clamp for the work bench for general work.   Thinking I could mount it on the mill to clean, square and drill it.   If I were doing work for others a custom adjustable jig would be great but I only do my own work and a jig per gun is OK.   This gives me a couple of ideas to work on in the shop.

Thanks Eugene!

Offline Jonny

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2014, 09:36:42 AM »
Had a look at the part they don't come much simpler just hold it in a vice and file.