Author Topic: Guests not seeing pictures  (Read 3275 times)

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Guests not seeing pictures
« on: September 13, 2014, 09:51:53 AM »
I often look down the list of people 'online' and frequently I see guests viewing threads that you know are largely picture based. I think I am correct in thinking that not only does a Guest not see the pictures in a thread, but that there is no indication that a picture is missing, making the threads seem unintelligible.

OK I appreciate that we want people to register, and then they see the pictures when logged in, but if the threads seem unintelligible perhaps they won't register anyway !!!

Can anything be done about this?
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Arbalist

Re: Guests not seeing pictures
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2014, 01:15:59 PM »
I must say I find it irritating not being able to view pictures on some other forums. It's not a universal problem though as far as I can tell. I think perhaps it's a choice made by the forum owners?

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2014, 06:18:50 PM »
When I am logged in, there are pictures on some posts whilst on others 'none' where I guess there should be some.

Frankly, I'm not really bothered one way or another as old age teaches how to ignore such trivia.

Norman

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2014, 08:24:44 PM »
Hi Andrew,

I will look into it and see what the settings are.

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2014, 02:39:26 AM »
Thanks Eric.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2014, 02:45:51 AM »
When I am logged in, there are pictures on some posts whilst on others 'none' where I guess there should be some.

Frankly, I'm not really bothered one way or another as old age teaches how to ignore such trivia.

Norman

Norman,
The difference there is where the picture is 'hosted'. If it is hosted on the forum, then you will see it. If it is hosted on another server such as someone's private one, they only show for as long as that server is still up and running. (An example is Rob Wilson's pictures). But in these cases you do still get an indication that the picture should be there.

For guests there is no indication that there should be a picture, which makes threads unintelligible at times
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2014, 03:29:26 AM »
I've just had had a look at- well, friend Shipto now. Clearly, he is trying to find answers to his grit problem( which to me, isn't there)

There is a motor bike 'thing' somewhere here( or not, as the case may be)

I could willingly answer Shipto's problem and the motor bike thing is so unimportant that I haven't bothered further.

Having said all this, it would be constructive -perhaps for others to be aware of difficulties and solutions.

Me, back to my coffee and dealing with the more obvious affairs of today.

Regards

Norman