Author Topic: Sometimes you just gotta laugh..  (Read 5139 times)

Online John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
Sometimes you just gotta laugh..
« on: April 08, 2009, 05:01:02 PM »
I was over looking at another site where someone is asking about low speeds for his lathe, thread cutting and big diameter work.  He is asking about VFDs and such like and there is quite a discussion going on.  I suggested turning up a smaller pulley for his existing motor or even making a pair of step pulleys,  ha ha, that seems to have gone over like a lead balloon! :coffee:
From the den of The Artful Bodger

bogstandard

Re: Sometimes you just gotta laugh..
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 05:10:46 PM »
John,

It seems in some of the higher circles of model engineering, simplicity isn't the correct answer, but mention huge wads of cash to cure a problem, and their ears prick up and decide it is the only way to go.

I think their motto is 'Can't have the riff-raff telling us anything, it lowers the tone of the discussion'.

Remember me talking about machine polishers.

Bogs

Online John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 05:53:37 PM »
John, you are so right, thats exactly what it is.  The activity is not to make something but to collect the brightest and best equipment possible so that 'one day' you might be able to make something! ::)

He he, I am sort of holding my breath for someone to ask where you could buy a low speed pulley!  (He has a lathe, you know?)

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 06:20:45 PM »
The one that make me laugh is not the guy who posts something very simple like a angle plate what doubles up as a gizmo.
Three pictures from all angles and some twonk wants working engineering drawings of it.

Can't even a beginner workout something this simple give the pictures? Chances are his machine is different anyway so he's have to modify said drawings.

JS
John Stevenson

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 06:33:22 PM »
I have to admit fitting a 3 phase motor and using a VDF does seem like a nice idea, esp on my mill where I seem to be constantly changing the belts.

The other way would be to fit a permanent magnet motor with a controller, like the mini lathe. But I like the 3phase better.

Where's the way out door smiley  ::)
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

bogstandard

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 06:52:26 PM »
Darren,

I have a bit of a confession to make.

When I used a mill drill like yours, I would only change the belt speed once in a blue moon. I used to just change the hand feed speed to get a good cut. It seemed to work for a great many years.

It is only now that I have power feeds and variable speed that I do anything about it.

Just lazy I suppose.

John

Online John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2009, 06:55:02 PM »
No argument Darren, a VFD would be 'nice'.  But spending the kilo-bux, or whatever, on other toys would be nice too.

He already has 9 speeds on his lathe, 18 if he changes the belt.  If he is like me and the primpary purpose of having the lathe is to enjoy using it then a 'nice' project would be to turn up a couple of pulleys.

[thinks] Hmmmmm,  there is a Triumph Herald gearbox under the house, I wonder if I could interpose that between the motor and the lathe?  That would be 36 spindle speeds, 45 if I use reverse.. :scratch:[/thinks]  That aint gonna happen... :coffee:

JB, or a very simple electrical circuit and he wants to know where in his country he can buy a 10K resistor!

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2009, 06:55:39 PM »
John,

Didn't you know that when the man with the most number of toys and the most expensive toys dies he wins.  :lol:

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2009, 06:59:14 PM »
and he wants to know where in his country he can buy a 10K resistor!

I see, hence your tone to this "other" thread, I'm with you.

9 speed lathe, ok he's just spoilt then..... :lol:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Online John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2009, 07:11:27 PM »
Yeah, he is real spoilt Darren, Bogs and I have the same lathe, 'cepting ours are metric feed screw! ::)

Bernd, you could be right.  I bet my Lego collection is bigger than his though! :lol:

Online John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2009, 08:52:39 PM »
I was unfair, :bow:  we are now discussing the pulley option over there!

bogstandard

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2009, 09:15:24 PM »
John,

It is easy for you to reply to him.

Just tell him if he was a decent enough machinist, he should be able to cope with what the rest of us have.

Bogs

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2009, 09:16:27 PM »
Nice.... :)