Author Topic: Cheepo toolpost grinder  (Read 11831 times)

Offline chipenter

Cheepo toolpost grinder
« on: September 19, 2014, 08:43:41 AM »
ARC do a straight shank collet chuck http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue/Collets/ER-Milling-Collet-Chucks-Straight-Shank thats a spindle waiting to be mounted ,ordered a ER16 chuck yesterdat it came this morning , a set of collets from ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201005172227?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&var=500211503341&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT and I am halfway there ,
Jeff

Offline trevoratxtal

• Torbay, South Devon, England
Re: Cheepo toolpost grinder
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 12:40:10 PM »
More! More! Chipenter
You seem to have the making of a great lathe add on.
Thanks for posting.
All the best
Trev.

Offline chipenter

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 03:11:09 PM »
An offcutt of 1" hex bar was drilled and the bearing receses cut and 20TPI thread cut , bearings started and the spindle pushed in it feels free and smooth , will test the run out tomorow .
Jeff

Offline millwright

• Leeds West Yorshire
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2014, 03:55:04 PM »
I like the idea Jeff a ready made spindle almost, and the collets are cheap enough, it all depends on the run out. Hope its ok for you.

John

Offline chipenter

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2014, 02:48:46 PM »
/not a lot of time today clocked up with bearings halfway in gives a runout of 1 1\2 thou and half a thou pulling the head , good for the price and for what I want.
Jeff

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2014, 03:20:08 PM »
Watching with interest...
Looks good so far.. :thumbup:
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline chipenter

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2014, 10:01:50 AM »
Bit more done this morning screw cut and bored a piece to hold the front bearing , and some sleaves to clamp the inner races together ,cut for woodruff key for the pulley this is the only thing I will do to the spindle as it has a 5mm hole right through tapped 6mm ,
Jeff

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2014, 10:25:58 AM »
Is that a home made Woodruff cutter? :dremel:

You've made good progress...

Cant wait to see it finished and working :clap:
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline chipenter

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2014, 02:54:51 PM »
Is that a home made Woodruff cutter?  I wish I could make one with tungsten tips like that so it's a no ,
pressed the front bearing in a bit too tight and not as free as it was , I have a piece of 63mm ally 1.8m long for the pully on the motor and will make one 20mm for the drive gives me 3:1 at 4275 RPM , iff thats to slow I will have to cast a bigger one. 
Jeff

Offline DavidA

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2014, 03:51:58 PM »
A handy tool.

I also was wondering about repeatability when using it it a three jaw. 

Dave.

Offline chipenter

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2014, 02:49:18 PM »
Got a lot done today bolted the carrier to a peice of 1\4" plate with a 1\2" square riser , hade to take off 15 thou toget it to centre height ,made some polly v pullys  70mm and a 20mm , I didn't have a 12mm guide for my broach just used the packers whithout a guide , the motor came with a fan not a good idea whith grinding dust about however the cast ally cover will make a belt guard , also tested the run out at first it was 8 thou but it rocked modified a c spanner once tight 1\2 a thou and repeatable , I was more than happy with that .
Jeff

Offline millwright

• Leeds West Yorshire
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2014, 03:13:25 PM »
All coming together well and looking good now Jeff.

John

Offline chipenter

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2014, 03:48:56 PM »
Got it togeather cut some slots for the belt cover , tempery wired it up and it runs backward swapping the capaciter wires round didn't change the direction , I need a metal box for the terminals to make it safe .
Jeff

Offline BillTodd

• Colchester Essex (where the lathes were made)
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2014, 06:03:44 PM »
those smaller motors usually have identical start and run winding (check resistance). Reversing only requires swapping the  live to the other side of the cap .

bill
Bill

Offline Ginger Nut

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2014, 02:07:53 AM »
I'll follow if I may

Offline chipenter

« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2014, 02:41:15 AM »
Thanks Bill just what I need , read the worshop practice book on motors last night , I was going to stripp the motor to check the windings this morning but will swap the wires first ,the difference in the resistance is 25 ohms between the windings .
Jeff

Offline BillTodd

• Colchester Essex (where the lathes were made)
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2014, 03:08:31 AM »
What is the winding resistance overall? 

if 25 ohms is a substantial part, then just swap the two start coil connections (N and Cap)

Bill
Bill

Offline chipenter

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2014, 01:04:18 PM »
Thanks Bill got going the right way now , bought a fused spure box it was only a little bit more than a box and cover , set it up for the first job a 5" chuck from the scrap man jaws are belled out , it sound like a duck with the lathe running at 60 RPM , I have a 1 3\4 green stone from a valve grinder 9\16" BSF that I will make an arbor for and a guard .
Jeff

Offline Meldonmech

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2014, 05:05:06 AM »

Turned out well Jeff, interested to see the results of your chuck truing.  One of mine needs grinding, I bought a Wolf tool post grinder several years ago, and have not used it yet.

Cheers David

Offline chipenter

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2014, 02:48:48 AM »

Turned out well Jeff, interested to see the results of your chuck truing.  One of mine needs grinding, I bought a Wolf tool post grinder several years ago, and have not used it yet.

Cheers David
I am pleased to say the jaws turned out very well , the motor got hot and I had to stop several times to let it cool , bought some 2" fine stones made a guard from solid turned a coller revesed it in the reground jaws onlt a couple of thou out a few tapps got it running true , and bored the rest out bit of an oops on the length should have made it from a coller and bent a piece of steet round for a guard , I bought 5 chucks on ebay blurie photos he had cleaned the rust off with an angle grinder so thats the next test .
Jeff