Author Topic: S3 Mini Lathe T-Slot Cross SLide  (Read 3349 times)

Offline steampunkpete

S3 Mini Lathe T-Slot Cross SLide
« on: October 01, 2014, 06:00:37 PM »
Worlds easiest mod. Take one T-slot plate and bolt to cross-slide. Easy.

The T-slot plate was found on the junk table at Chronos - £4 (I love the junk table at Chronos). I'm not sure what machine it was intended for - possibly an Emco part?

The plate has four mounting holes sized for M5 SHCS. I drilled a pattern of six holes so that the plate can be mounted in either one of two positions. (That is why the saddle locking clamp is milled away on the top surface - when the T-slot plate is mounted in  the forward position the bolt head for  the saddle lock is underneath the T-slot plate).

When the vertical slide is mounted on the T-slot plate in the rear position, the cutting point will be close to or within the footprint of the saddle, and this arrangement  maximises rigidity. The "Z" shaped plate available from RDGTools that is designed to mount the vertical slide off the tool-post is hopeless; it behaves like a mass on a spring and vibrates like a violin spring.

I have seen a home-made cross-slide that is wider than the standard item and has T-slots machined in; it is very professional looking, a nice piece of work. My solution isn't nearly so good looking, but it's cheap, quick and simple.

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
Re: S3 Mini Lathe T-Slot Cross SLide
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 09:25:45 PM »
Nicely done!

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
Re: S3 Mini Lathe T-Slot Cross SLide
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2014, 03:55:23 AM »
"That will do nicely"........  :thumbup: :clap: :clap:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!