Author Topic: New member from southern indiana  (Read 5241 times)

Offline Bwagner

New member from southern indiana
« on: October 15, 2014, 09:27:12 AM »
Hello, my name is brock and I'm a dummy. I was lead to this site when doing research on monotube boilers. Excellent thread! Very interesting! I live on the family farm and have been tinkering with projects with my father my whole life. I have some interesting pictures of a very unconventional wood burner if anyone is interested? We are a wholesale provider of landscaping products: topsoil, compost, mulch ect.... And the soil screen we built may be interesting for some of you to see pics!  I however am an amature engineer in the truest sense of the word amature. I have no training or on the job experience in machining or fabrication. I actually work as a corporate pilot and recently made captain in a king air 350. Just a dummy who like to try things till they work. Hope that's ok with all!

Offline Pete W.

Re: New member from southern indiana
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 10:09:31 AM »
Hi there, Brock,

SNIP

..... Just a dummy who like to try things till they work. Hope that's ok with all!
I was just like that with MicroSoft Flight Simulator, never did find what actually did work so I never got off the runway!   :lol:   :lol:   :lol: 

Seriously, though, Brock, don't sell yourself short.  If you've learnt to fly a plane, I'm confident you'll soon get up the learning curve of some of the things that Mad Modders do.  So, welcome, I'm sure you'll find as warm a welcome and as much help and encouragement here as I have. 
Best regards,

Pete W.

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, you haven't seen the latest design change-note!

Offline Joules

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2014, 10:20:24 AM »
Welcome Bwagner, the nearest I get to piloting is using my wood plane.  As mentioned I recon you will fly through the learning curves.   :)

Honour your mentors, and pay it forward.

Offline Bwagner

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2014, 04:43:56 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcome fellas! I'm new to any kind of online forum so I could use a little guidance. I think I understand the basics but am aware that posting something in the wrong part of the forum can sometimes be frowned upon.  I'm going to attempt to attach the pics of our large outdoor wood burner. it's an old fuel oil tank measuring 8 feet in diameter and 16 feet tall with an air heat exchanger inside. We like it because the large chunks of wood are almost an unlimited supply for us, and adding wood only needs to be done about once a week. The wood would otherwise be burnt on a brush pile. We use it to heat our 80 foot by 45 foot shop and it does a pretty good job. So my question is this. If I wanted to get input on how to improve the design for a different building we have and or questions about incorporating a boiler, and the mysteries (to me) on like systems, would it best to start a new thread? New topic? Ask my questions in similar threads that have already started? Thanks for any guidance or tips on how to use this site effectively!

Offline krv3000

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2014, 07:01:24 PM »
 :ddb:hi and welcume

Offline Meldonmech

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2014, 02:02:23 AM »

Hi Bwagner, welcome to MadModder.  You are lucky to have all that fuel at your disposal, you could build an aluminum melting furnace fueled by charcoal.  There are many home build designs on the internet, if you fancy having a go.

Good Luck   David

Offline Pete W.

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2014, 04:37:07 AM »
Hi there, again, Brock,

I suggest that you start a thread (one for each project) in the 'How Do I?' section.

Before you do that, though, go into the 'Gallery' section and read the thread on photo resizing. 
Best regards,

Pete W.

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, you haven't seen the latest design change-note!

Offline AussieJimG

• In Memoriam
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2014, 05:19:38 AM »
Welcome from the fringes of civilisation Brock.

Jim

Offline bb218hlv

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2014, 10:57:44 AM »
Hi Brock,
    I am new to this site also from Southern Indiana.  I live  about 1/2 way between Indianapolis and Louisville just off of I65 a little town called Hayden.  Welcome to the site.   Mike

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2014, 09:13:29 PM »
Hi Brock  :wave:

Welcome to the collective :borg:

Hello, my name is brock and I'm a dummy...

yeah... um? I seriously doubt that. 1) you found this forum and joined. 2) You are a pilot. Those 2 reasons tell me you are not...  :headbang:
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.