Author Topic: Cedge's Man Cave  (Read 7597 times)

Offline cedge

• Madmodder Committee
Cedge's Man Cave
« on: April 10, 2009, 12:33:02 AM »
With everyone posting shop photos, I figured I was due to share mine, sooner or later. I just finished up the DRO installation on my SX3 mill so I took a few shots, while things were semi clean and in somewhat order.

I'm working in a two car garage so space is tight. Tool boxes are in abundance and the place wouldn't work at all without them. Luckily, the mill table just fits the space between two of the boxes, allowing the drawers to open even when the table extends in front of them.The SX3 and the C4 lathe take up every available inch of counter space on one wall while the mini lathe and mini mill take up most of another. I keep thinking I'll put the smaller machines on Craigslist, but I'm still dragging my feet, trying to decide if I really want to get rid of them.

The place just keeps evolving, but I'm pretty much out of room so adding much of anything else to the fray isn't in the plan right now. Enjoy the photos.... the place won't be that clean again until cold winter moves back in.

Steve 

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
Re: Cedge's Man Cave
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 01:31:03 AM »
Steve

Is that a feed unit you've got fitted to your mill?. If so have you any info on it.

Thanks

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline shoey51

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 03:40:47 AM »
Steve you certainly look a bit crowded there but I like it :)

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 09:28:28 AM »
Nice and neat Steve. I wish I had that problem of to little space. Reason being with to much space you have a greater area to look for where you laid that wrench or piece of material you were gonna drill a hole in. Then when you find the material it's time to hunt for that drill that you left somewhere while looking for that piece of material. Never ending battle.

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline cedge

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2009, 09:38:02 AM »
Stew
Sharp eyes you have there. It is indeed a power feed. It is one of the SX3 units that I modified. I also have the same unit on the lathe and control both with a single controller. Long story short, I burned up the first one I bought and only located a replacement board for it a few weeks ago. The single control unit has become a nice convenience so the new board is being kept as a spare for now. I eventually intend to incorporate the controller into the lathe's control box to clean things up a bit.

Not the cheapest way to get there, but the power produced by these little units is pretty incredible and they do work quite well. The motor is the same one used on the Sieg Micro mill and is mounted to a reduction gear system.

Shoey
Thanks.... it is a bit tight, but it also puts things pretty much right at hand when I need them. Luckily, my projects are never very large.

Bernd
This place is notorious for devouring tools and small fasteners. You don't need a large shop to find yourself wandering about looking for where you put that item you just had in your hand....LOL  I can lose things while standing in one spot.

Steve

Offline usn ret

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2009, 12:39:11 PM »
Steve , a very nice setup with efficient use of available space.  :thumbup: However its not a two car garage unless you can get at least one car inside.  The size of the car doesn't matter.  Otherwise it is a shop built to be a garage. :beer:

Cliff
If it isn't broken your not looking hard enough!

Offline DeereGuy

• D1 Adapter Solutions
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2009, 02:04:27 PM »
Steve, great looking setup!  You sure have put out some nice projects out of there.

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2009, 03:30:58 PM »
A little crowded Steve... but very nice.   :headbang:

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline SPiN Racing

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2009, 02:11:15 AM »
Very Nice!

I am still taking notes on my plan to organise my own mess..

Of course projects keep taking my time when in the garage, so I never really have a chance to get things sorted out!

:proj: :proj: :proj:
SPiN Racing

Offline chuck foster

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2009, 08:54:56 PM »
steve, with all those tool boxes how do you remember where every thing is ????  :scratch:

but really, you have a great place to work and as others have said you build some superb model in that space you call a man cave.

chuck :wave:
hitting and missing all the way :)

former hmem member

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
  • Portadown, Northern Ireland
    • My Photo website
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2009, 01:47:59 AM »
That looks a nice setup, "compact luxury" as the estate agents would describe it.

Tim
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe  -  MI0TME

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2009, 08:55:51 AM »
Nice shop Steve, good to see where those masterpieces come out of!

Nick