Author Topic: Replacing a worm wheel  (Read 6034 times)

Offline chipenter

Replacing a worm wheel
« on: November 01, 2014, 03:39:06 AM »
My rotary table needs a new wheel and this thead is more about how I made the cutter , I have been making involute cutters on my mill ,

The worm is 1\2" made from silver steel so the cutter needs to be 1\2" as well , the wheel measured to be 37DP 72 teeth  50.8mm blank required ,pin dia 9.452919mm the nearest to that is 3\8" and adjust the centres , a peice of silver steel milled to a hex then the 3\8" cutter feed in 2.475946mm  :jaw: and the carridge locked  the cut is made virticley
Jeff

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Re: Replacing a worm wheel
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2014, 03:48:34 AM »
Nice work  :thumbup:

I'm impressed that you can work to six decimal places, I struggle with two  :clap:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline chipenter

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2014, 04:10:20 AM »
The pin centres are 10.16667mm and the in feed is 2.475946 acording to the computer program I downloaded from Marve Klots web site , gashed with a woodruff cutter just past centre to give the teeth some rake , hardened and tempred to straw , the worm eyeballed to 4 degrees so set the wheel to that , tooth depth is 1.51 fed it in and started cutting , the worm fitted well straight with no back lash and just one heigh spot that will polish out . 
Jeff

Offline chipenter

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2014, 04:21:16 AM »
Nice work  :thumbup:

I'm impressed that you can work to six decimal places, I struggle with two  :clap:

Thank Andrew thats a jaw dropper when you see it the first time , with the flex in my mill I may be closer to one decimal place . :coffee:
Jeff