Author Topic: Fit a collet closer to a standard gun lathe.  (Read 2385 times)

Offline NeoTech

• Roughedge Hobbyworks
Fit a collet closer to a standard gun lathe.
« on: November 23, 2014, 12:11:28 PM »
So i got this chinese crapola machine that will either see the scrapyard or be converted for cringe work (ak.a, the stuff that destroys good lathes).

And to being able to do cringe stuff, i wanted to fit a collet closer to the machine instead of the D1-4 chucks im usually using. The spindle has a large M32 thread in the back of the housing.
So i should be able to thread in some kind of holder with a springloaded collet holder (guessing 5C is the way to go here).

Anyone done something similar??
Machinery: Optimum D320x920, Optimum BF20L, Aciera F3. -- I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. http://www.roughedge.se/blogg/

Offline Jonny

Re: Fit a collet closer to a standard gun lathe.
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 03:56:40 PM »
Previous lathe Harrison 140 came with a 5C chuck, long mandrel with handle and some collets.
Gave them my mate 12 yrs ago collets don't go to a decent size and mandrel limits size through head stock already limited to 35mm.

No need for a spring just slacken and pull out the job. Worst case might need the odd tap with fist.
Same with the quick release capstans that come with similar.

Offline NeoTech

• Roughedge Hobbyworks
Re: Fit a collet closer to a standard gun lathe.
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 02:42:39 AM »
So what you say dont overcomplicate stuff. =)

Well my idea was threading in a base in the spindle, and setup a drawbar with old valve cam springs or something and a circlip holding it in place, and just make a small "lever" that hooks into and pressing down on the spring as a lever..long enough so i can reach it at the same time i reach around for the collet.

Being able to do repetive tasks a bit faster..
Machinery: Optimum D320x920, Optimum BF20L, Aciera F3. -- I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. http://www.roughedge.se/blogg/