Author Topic: Rather shed than dead.  (Read 18988 times)

Offline DavidA

Rather shed than dead.
« on: November 26, 2014, 06:34:49 AM »
Did anyone watch the program 'Rather shed than dead' last night  ?  (It might have been called 'Better shed than dead' ;can't remember)

I just wondered if anyone had any comment on it.

Dave

Offline Manxmodder

Re: Rather shed than dead.
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2014, 09:26:45 AM »
David, it is 'Better shed than dead'. I guessed it would be about the men and sheds movement and the vital role it plays in keeping retirees mentally active and involved rather than the decline that can set in if they no longer have things to keep them constructively occupied.
Link:   http://www.bettershedthandead.co.uk/

We have a group here on the Isle of Man,and it is highly regarded by those who are involved.......OZ.
Helixes aren't always downward spirals,sometimes they're screwed up

Offline Swarfing

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2014, 09:36:59 AM »
What was the time and channel guys, maybe able to get it on catch up for those that missed it?
Once in hole stop digging.

Offline Manxmodder

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2014, 09:45:37 AM »
Swarfing,if you open the link I provided you will see a box at the top right of the page which says 'watch the film'

That takes you directly to the documentary.....OZ.

Offline DavidA

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2014, 09:56:56 AM »
OZ,
Thanks for the correction.

I was hoping it would be about men in sheds generally,  a bit like this site.

But it was very interesting all the same.  The social gains seem very real. I did get the impression though that it could easily be lost in bureaucracy and become rather expensive.
More like a club with committee members etc.

Dave.

Offline Swarfing

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2014, 10:10:58 AM »
thanks fella
Once in hole stop digging.

Offline Joules

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2014, 10:37:27 AM »
Wow, that really resonated on so many levels...  failed marriage, loosing contact with kids etc...  I sure couldn't cope with the loss of my workshop.  Don't think there's anything like this in our area.

Self employed by necessity (50+ practical, not academic), don't do pubs or have a TV, crikey where do I sign up....
Honour your mentors, and pay it forward.

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2014, 12:39:27 PM »
Laughed alot at the bit at 39m 14s. It's like a comedy sketch.

Talking to an Australian guy about the sheds and he says they're really good over there. There's people building geet yachts and restoring planes. It sounds like a nice idea in general and the kind of thing I wouldn't mind getting involved in.

Still not sure about the documentary itself though. It seemed very patronizing towards the people that were using the sheds.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2014, 12:52:16 PM »

Still not sure about the documentary itself though. It seemed very patronizing towards the people that were using the sheds.

My thought exactly - keep the old dears out of trouble !

I speak as an old dear  :lol:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline DavidA

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2014, 01:24:43 PM »
...It seemed very patronizing towards the people that were using the sheds...

I also noticed that. But I suppose that most sheddies (as we would recognize on this site ) are more loners and are used to having their own space.

Dave.

Offline JD

• Gosport Hampshire UK
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2014, 06:15:44 PM »
Gentlemen, I am a member of the Gosport Shed in Hampshire. Watch 
of how it all began for us about 2 years ago.
We have recently moved into bigger premises at the rear of the old military training establishment St Vincent Mill Lane Gosport now a 6th form collage and have a good working relationship with our landlord.
The whole Shed concept started in Australia some years ago, The movement helps keep the older retired guys out of Doctors surgeries and off the drugs for various ailments Depression, loneliness, eating disorders etc etc all of which come to some men after retirement.
Our youngest is 62 and the oldest 91 (this guy has all his faculties) from all walks of life.
A phrase runs through the movement "Women speak face to face Men talk shoulder to shoulder" (next time your in a pub/bar or restaurant have a look around you.
We are self funded, donations are also gifted from local businesses.
We carry out work on projects in the local community ie HMS Alliance the  Submarine Museum, Gosport Historic Society.
The latest project is an early 1800 brick built magazine close to our workshop reportedly the last one in the country, the building is listed so we have to liaise with the Collage and the National Trust in its restoration.
We arrange day trips ( last one to see the field of poppies at the Tower of London and the Imperial War Museum with a few beers thrown in   :beer:  :beer:
All our tools are donated, at present we have 3 wood turning lathes 2 bowl turning lathes and all the associated wood working tools, wood carving is also has its place , plus 2 metal lathes an Adept shaper. This is my baby at present I am just beginning to set this up and will eventually have a separate work shop.
Tools come from the most unusual places.
We have 70+ members all individuals.
Being in a military town 25% are ex RN that includes me, 2 army, 1 special forces.
The remainder consist of (a rough cross section)ex Hong Kong Police officers, Vicars, University lecturers, Car and Motor Bike restorers, Builders, Printers etc etc.
We can come and go as we please, work on your own projects or help somebody else, or just come for a cuppa read the paper, a bit of good humored banter, or throw abuse and tell dirty jokes.
If you are in the area and would like to pay us a visit phone Office on 07852452664 or email gosportshed@gmail.com first also see web www.thegosportshed.btck.co.uk we are open Mon-Fri 0900-1600
Sat 0900-1200   .
This has been a life and marriage saver for me.
Sorry for the length of this post but I am very passionate about this movement and it does work plus no women are involved   :thumbup:  :clap:  :med:
John
If you cant fix it hit it with a bigger hammer

Offline krv3000

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2014, 06:32:36 PM »
in a word brill as you no i had a rta that left me in a bad way a part from the hospitel ther seemd no hope for reabilatashon and thats the reson i started to go on to the forum to hellp me with my spelling sum times i get it all most right but uther times its crap but you all have helpt me  to over cum this problem in this cuntery we seem to think that once you hit old age your scrap but as you sed if you is dowing sumthing  you gowing to be more happy than siting in an old foks home looking out of a windo

Offline Ginger Nut

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2014, 10:15:00 PM »
Hi just watched part one of the video good to see some shed popping up in the UK.

Like has been said Mens Sheds have become a big thing here in Australia one thing mentioned was lack of Government support That statement is incorrect grants from as low as $5,000.00 up to $300,000.00 have been made to build sheds from the ground up.

In Australia there are two Mens Shed organisations and some facts http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Men%27s_Sheds

I did some research a while ago and found Mens Sheds were originally formed in of all places Japan I think back in the 70's?

http://www.mensheds.org.au/ Australian Men Shed is "A NOT FOR PROFIT" managed by the group who starts it although now I am informed it as become much more political governance.  Each shed has its own committee, runs all finances which go directly to the shed.

2 (Damn can locate the link) This one is totally governed by the organisation they do all the work of getting Government funding and manage all funds, they stipulate what work is to be done and regulate it all with a manager for each shed (in some case paid a mate was offered $60k a year to run the shed he got up and running he didn't take it the went with the other organisation) 

I am not a member of a shed although I have checked out now about 8 different sheds to join being in a wheelchair has its disadvantages being told by one shed my wife who is my carer would not be aloud to stay at all drop me and go home or shopping. :bang: biggest disadvantage is mostly attitude of other members and "once in a wheelchair you have no brains"  :doh:

For many I have seen great things for them have  look at the Mens Shed Youtube site.
Largest shed I have visited was one at Mudgee over the Blue Mnts man is it huge brand new shed, it has lounge x2, showers, kitchen, offices, woodworking area, computer room, metal working area with 4 bays for auto/truck repaiirs  :jaw:

Smallest was a single garage that was updated to a larger shed 30ft x 20ft all just woodwork.

Offline SwarfnStuff

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2014, 01:15:35 AM »
If you want to make things complicated, "Get the government involved". As long as our sheds and clubs can stay self funded life is good.

As an Ozzie I am glad to see that the mens shed idea has spread over the water. They do indeed vary greatly in focus depending on members' aims and aspirations. Mostly though, I believe the gathering of like minded men from (as has been said in other posts) all walks of life talking whilst doing stuff is quite therapeutic.
Who said we can't multi task?
And, so what if sometimes chaps just want to sit and natter over a coffee. Our model engineering club is for me a great place to hang out especially the day meetings which are in no way formal. Got a problem with something you are working on? Someone there will have an answer or know someone who does.
Then there is Madmodders another great place to hang out. Cheers John B

Converting good metal into swarf sometimes ending up with something useful. ;-)

Offline Pete.

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2014, 01:54:56 AM »
you all have helpt me  to over cum this problem in this cuntery

Your spelling makes me cringe sometimes Bob but this line gave me a good old chuckle. Well done!

Offline Bluechip

• Madmodder Committee
  • Derbyshire UK
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2014, 04:24:11 PM »
A few minutes of watching Prime Minister's Question Time suggests there is nothing much wrong with Bob's spelling ...

Dave
I have a few modest talents. Knowing what I'm doing isn't one of them.

Offline micktoon

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2014, 05:15:42 PM »
 Seems like a good idea in general to me but I also think once a goverment gets involved and its gets too official 'real' people will probably be put off or you will have some jobs worth type being 'shed commandant' telling others what they can not do lol. I hope it stays real and people could just enjoy it for what it was intended, good place to do something constructive and meet fellow like minded people , sort of like the forums really I suppose.
 As for Bob's spelling, well there is a lot more to life than spelling and I could'nt give a monkeys about his spelling , I just take my hat off to Bob, even though he knows he has a problem with spelling he still gets involved and posts sharing his knowledge with us all and helping out whenever he can.
  I am sure it must have been hard for him to start posting but I am glad he did as I have learnt from him, not to mention ended up meeting Bob and I have found a good friend. Hopefully posting will help his spelling but I think more important is the fact its got him involved in 'the outside world' as after his accident he was off the scene so to speak which can when happen someone is suddenly taken from normal life and then in hospitals etc for months. Its happened to me and its hard to get involved and get confidence back so I am glad Bob took the plunge and went on the forums  :thumbup: as I think it will have helped him a lot to get back into the flow of things and the world is a better place for it  :clap:

Cheers Mick.

Offline millwright

• Leeds West Yorshire
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2014, 05:39:21 PM »
Well said Mick. :clap:

john

Offline bp

« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2014, 05:54:40 PM »
So Madmodder, and it's like are virtual Mens Sheds.

Great stuff!!
cheers
Bill

Offline Ginger Nut

« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2014, 09:44:00 PM »
If you want to make things complicated, "Get the government involved". As long as our sheds and clubs can stay self funded life is good.

As an Ozzie I am glad to see that the mens shed idea has spread over the water. They do indeed vary greatly in focus depending on members' aims and aspirations. Mostly though, I believe the gathering of like minded men from (as has been said in other posts) all walks of life talking whilst doing stuff is quite therapeutic.
Who said we can't multi task?
And, so what if sometimes chaps just want to sit and natter over a coffee. Our model engineering club is for me a great place to hang out especially the day meetings which are in no way formal. Got a problem with something you are working on? Someone there will have an answer or know someone who does.
Then there is Madmodders another great place to hang out. Cheers John B

Your shed must be one of the lucky ones. Each one I have visited has been overlorded by the Insurance co's and OH&S Nazi's  :Doh:  agree teach those who wish to use the equipment and do things but not waste 6 months with classes and not go near anything.

I have found a number of forums great this one moved to the top of my list a while ago.

Offline SwarfnStuff

« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2014, 02:37:33 AM »
Your shed must be one of the lucky ones. Each one I have visited has been overlorded by the Insurance co's and OH&S Nazi's  :Doh:  agree teach those who wish to use the equipment and do things but not waste 6 months with classes and not go near anything.

I have found a number of forums great this one moved to the top of my list a while ago.

Yes Ginger this is a great forum.  :mmr:  As to "my shed" Perhaps I gave the wrong impression. I am not involved in the Mens Shed movement but some of the chaps in my model engineering club are, so my information comes from them. I guess, since most Mens Sheds have machinery for members to use there must be some OH&S but as you said some people try to be the overlord.
  Our model engineering group does not have communal machinery so the OH&S bogies don't get a look in. As for the overlords, our club constitution limits office bearers to a maximum 3 of years then they have to step down.   :hammer: A bit like our government for which we must vote tomorrow.  :bang:
John B
Converting good metal into swarf sometimes ending up with something useful. ;-)

Offline Jo

« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2014, 05:35:14 AM »
about this movement and it does work plus no women are involved   :thumbup:  :clap:  :med:

No problem: us women have our own sheds full of lathes and mills to make swarf in :dremel:

Jo
So many engines to build and yet so little time.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2014, 05:47:19 AM »
Been trying to get my other half involved in the workshop for years but with no joy so far, other than I did actually get her into the woodwork shop last week to turn a new handle for her spade which she'd broken.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline mattinker

« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2014, 06:18:21 AM »
I think the idea is great, but, I was disappointed in the film as it kept saying the same thing and didn't show men in sheds doing anything! The men they showed really made it look as though they were babysitting old men! To show men doing things in sheds would have been far more to the point!

Regards, Matthew.

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2014, 06:48:17 AM »
Insurance co's and OH&S Nazi's 

Yeah that's something I was wondering about when watching the video and reading about the sheds. I tried get involved in volunteering stuff in the past (selfishly, I just wanted to use the big machine tools!) and while there were alot of cool people there happy to let me have a go and get involved, there were a few boss types patrolling the place making sure nobody had too much fun at the expense of safety.

I was lucky at a certain local railway museum since I joined up when the boss was away on holiday and had a fantastic time. But once he came back...

It's funny because he still let me climb about the front of a moving locomotive (as it was passing along a gorge) to reach the other side for drive-by pruning, because they were insured in the event that i'd slip off and get crushed.

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2014, 06:54:29 AM »
I once went along to a Maker Space once. Which is kinda similar to the sheds but more aimed at, how can I say this nicely... people who want to feel like they're really clever while assembling kit electronics. It was more or less a small room with a soldering iron, a hot glue gun, and alot of idiots.

I'm better off doing things on my own in my garage, I suppose. Just a shame I can't afford the nice tools!

Offline BillTodd

• Colchester Essex (where the lathes were made)
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2014, 07:01:12 AM »
you all have helpt me  to over cum this problem in this cuntery

Your spelling makes me cringe sometimes Bob but this line gave me a good old chuckle. Well done!

That word seems a pretty good collective noun for the people who run this country   :LOL:
Bill

Offline JD

• Gosport Hampshire UK
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2014, 10:30:37 AM »
Ladies and Gentlemen, I believe the film does give a poor insight in shed in movement in UK, some of you have all hit the nail on the head about being organized by a boss of some sort we have visited local sheds and cringe when we see a weekly itinerary laying down the law if you like, at Gosport we have whole shed meeting Monday morning (committee included) to think outside the box for future projects, Visits, and money raising for us and local charities, then general chit chat apart from Religion or Politics
When the call to arms comes for man power all those able turn up to help.
We are not pinned down to a time table we come and go as we please we find this works very well we don't force our skills or beliefs on anybody, but if they are willing to learn we will teach them.
John

If you cant fix it hit it with a bigger hammer

Offline Pete W.

« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2014, 12:53:48 PM »
Hi there, all,

At one stage of my career, I worked for the Plessey Company, gone now but, in its day generally acknowledged to be a successful company.

The Company was guided to growth by A.G.Clarke who claimed that a key factor was that he was able to get finance from the City without the Banks wanting to grab the steering wheel!

I reckon that principle carries over to Mens' Sheds - I would only consider joining one if I could be certain it was member-led.  Just my two penneth!! 
Best regards,

Pete W.

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, you haven't seen the latest design change-note!

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2014, 03:08:08 PM »
I have joined http://protospace.ca/ that seems quite good they have a good asortment of interests and tooling for metal as well as wood like a 80 watt laser cutter ( not for metal) a couple lathes,  milling machine and cnc plasma as well s a tormack 1100 mill. There are steps that have to be followed for safety reasons so there is courses to take as more people are getting interested in making and are starting from scratch! so it is their house their rules that I can agree with the gains in the long run will pay off but in the meantime there is always someone that will help you get it done!

And just a side note I enjoy Bob's posts the spelling makes me smile but the posts make me think!

Offline Ginger Nut

« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2014, 08:28:03 PM »
about this movement and it does work plus no women are involved   :thumbup:  :clap:  :med:

No problem: us women have our own sheds full of lathes and mills to make swarf in :dremel:

Jo

Mens Shed Australia if you read their history was started by..........yep a woman and IS still Corporate Secretary

Offline AussieJimG

• In Memoriam
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2014, 01:49:05 AM »
There is a Men's Shed in Melba (suburb of Canberra (that's in Australia)) which doesn't have any tools but is very active. There is even a Meccano Group that goes around to the local schools. Here is a link to their latest newsletter: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B3KACTzeu2lAMGVkOTkyZTQtZWQ1MS00NmExLWEyNTAtYzAxNjQ1ZjdmYzVi&usp=drive_web&urp=http://melbashed.net.au/?page_id%3D1626&ddrp=1&pli=1&hl=enNmExLWEyNTAtYzAxNjQ1ZjdmYzVi&hl=en#

It's a bit too  far away for me to be a member and I prefer doing something rather than listening to what others are doing. I gave a presentation once, showing some engines. I also got them up and building pop-pop boats which we all enjoyed.

There is also a local Makers group called Make Hack Void which is run very much as a collective. They do tend toward the electronic end of the building spectrum but they have a number of 3d printers which has led me to join. I am looking forward to being shown how to use the printers. Not sure what I will do with them but they sound interesting. Here is a link: http://www.makehackvoid.com/

If you have been a member for a while and the other members think you are ok, you can get a key to access the equipment at any time. As an offshoot, one of the members has developed an RFID checkin. When someone checks in, the website shows that the space is open so others can come down as well.

Offline mattinker

« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2014, 10:58:59 AM »
Bob,

I just wanted to say how pleased I am that your on this group, I admire your courage in confronting your writing problems on a public forum! I don't have the same problem in English, but in French which I never learnt to write in, I have a really hard time writing, there are times when I don't even know how to begin a word. I can read and speak French, it's been my everyday language for the last thirty five years, but written French is not like spoken French the spelling depends on the grammar, which I cannot for the life of me get around!

My hat's off to you mate, regards, Matthew.

in a word brill as you no i had a rta that left me in a bad way a part from the hospitel ther seemd no hope for reabilatashon and thats the reson i started to go on to the forum to hellp me with my spelling sum times i get it all most right but uther times its crap but you all have helpt me  to over cum this problem in this cuntery we seem to think that once you hit old age your scrap but as you sed if you is dowing sumthing  you gowing to be more happy than siting in an old foks home looking out of a windo

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2014, 10:51:23 PM »
Bob, I like your writing, as well as your projects. It's a real voice. What better is there to listen to?
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline krv3000

« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2014, 07:01:09 PM »
hi all thanks for the coments got 1 project cuming up so keep a  look out for it

Offline malbenbut

« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2014, 05:59:30 AM »
KRV's post really cheered me up

(you all have helpt me  to over cum this problem in this cuntery)

MBB

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2014, 06:24:12 AM »
I'm still unsure how much of this is deliberate :scratch:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Manxmodder

« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2014, 12:32:04 PM »
Bob, I like your writing, as well as your projects. It's a real voice. What better is there to listen to?

Hi Steve,was just wondering what you were up to as I hadn't seen any posts from you lately.

Have you been badly affected with the recent snowfalls? How is that V twin engine coming along?
......OZ.

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2014, 04:49:44 PM »
Hi Oz, mainly been preparing for winter and dealing with Local School Board issues (which will end January 1). I haven't had time for engineering projects. and everything including twins are as I left them a few months ago.

Wood is cut and split, and winter snow moving equipment is now working and ready for the season, so I'm looking forward to being able to participate again here, and work in the shop. Actually I need to work further on a very small shed/shop nearer the house -- poured concrete the night before 12" snow last week, and need to build work benches. I'll move my smaller Gingery lathe and Atlas horizontal mill in there since it's a tiny (but easily heated)  space . Both machines also need work after being in less than perfect storage conditions for years -- so there's plenty to do.
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline Yankee Tom

« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2014, 11:06:01 PM »
These sheds are a great idea. How do you deal with the ambulance chasers(lawyers). I think if someone so much as damaged a hangnail, the walls of an American shed would be plastered with writs. Oh, and we have the occupational safety and health tribe, too.

I'm glad I have my shop. I much prefer doing things to sitting in front of the tv. But as one of the guys in the video said, I'd give time to help out where I could.

Particularly if I could add to my collection of dirty jokes.

Tom

Offline Ginger Nut

« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2014, 09:21:29 PM »
These sheds are a great idea. How do you deal with the ambulance chasers(lawyers). I think if someone so much as damaged a hangnail, the walls of an American shed would be plastered with writs. Oh, and we have the occupational safety and health tribe, too.

I'm glad I have my shop. I much prefer doing things to sitting in front of the tv. But as one of the guys in the video said, I'd give time to help out where I could.

Particularly if I could add to my collection of dirty jokes.

Tom

Tom majority of clubs here in Australia only have a 3rd party cover insurance this only covers visitors they do not like insuring members. However they do insure the equipment if the groups can find the exorbitant fee's.  Its a vicious  circle and the money grubbers see and feel they have the right to force it all on the members.

There is a Men's Shed in Melba (suburb of Canberra (that's in Australia)) which doesn't have any tools but is very active. There is even a Meccano Group that goes around to the local schools. Here is a link to their latest newsletter: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B3KACTzeu2lAMGVkOTkyZTQtZWQ1MS00NmExLWEyNTAtYzAxNjQ1ZjdmYzVi&usp=drive_web&urp=http://melbashed.net.au/?page_id%3D1626&ddrp=1&pli=1&hl=enNmExLWEyNTAtYzAxNjQ1ZjdmYzVi&hl=en#

It's a bit too  far away for me to be a member and I prefer doing something rather than listening to what others are doing. I gave a presentation once, showing some engines. I also got them up and building pop-pop boats which we all enjoyed.

There is also a local Makers group called Make Hack Void which is run very much as a collective. They do tend toward the electronic end of the building spectrum but they have a number of 3d printers which has led me to join. I am looking forward to being shown how to use the printers. Not sure what I will do with them but they sound interesting. Here is a link: http://www.makehackvoid.com/

If you have been a member for a while and the other members think you are ok, you can get a key to access the equipment at any time. As an offshoot, one of the members has developed an RFID checkin. When someone checks in, the website shows that the space is open so others can come down as well.

Jim I was approached then harassed by an organiser of a new group to become involved if he had left me alone to get work done I needed to do I may have been an active member now. It seemed almost like he was drugged up when I last spoke to him on the phone he became rude and very aggressive.Not heard from him for 12 months than goodness he was from Salvation Army.