Author Topic: YouTube working?  (Read 3401 times)

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
YouTube working?
« on: December 06, 2014, 10:54:17 PM »
My wife and I both are unable to view youtube videos any more on our separate computers. We just upgraded our browsers, and aren't sure if that is the problem, or if Google has finally blocked open access to Youtube videos.

I no longer see videos in posts that were once part of this forum. The code to show the video is still in the post, but I don't see the image to click on. I'm wondering it this is just a local computer problem with us, or whether others have the same symptoms.

It could just be a bug in the browser upgrade.

Anyone?
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
Re: YouTube working?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2014, 11:36:21 PM »
Hi Steve,

It works for me. Try a different browser and see if it works.

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline backofanenvelope

• !5 Minute Modeller
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2014, 01:04:25 AM »
Working fine here. Last time that happened to me it was Flash that needed an update. No idea why it stopped working.
hth
Tom
*** Master Guild of Procrastinators ***

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2014, 03:39:45 AM »
I've just sold the Fatted Calf ( our children's inheritance)and bought a Smart TV to replace an aging - and I mean over 20 year old Multi standard  one that we bought our son before he was a stagiare in France. By some miracle of science it is being supplied from a somewhat dated Windows 7 affair. The Windows 8 thng to replace it and British( I really mean Indian :wack:) Telecom  is not doing my e-mails :bang:
Such is the status quo - in the leafy forest of Upper Suburbia's Old People's Home in Newcastle upon Tyne.

Well, we got the French -or my son did. Claire Chazal is the epitome of an Old Man's
 Crumpet :thumbup: Anyway, we got Strictly Come Dancing and repeats of So the Last of the Summer Wine and that - apart from Mme. Chazal is our limit but I sneak a bit of home engineering at lunchtimes from Les Grenouilles and have learnt to make knives out broken coil springs. No way could I get Iplayer and the delights of 'Make your own trebuchet' when you have finished making your own castle. British TV is class stuff- if Blyth Spartans versus British West Hartlepool is avoided. Smart TV- however- Nada, wiggly people or all the notes in Mahler's 5 th but not necessarily in the correct order. So I start thumbing in the Screwfix guide to all things mechanical and failed to find a solution. So I started to wander with this BT Sender thing and wandered around holding it like a water diviner's twitchy thing. Anyway, the wiggly things became people and Richard Strauss 's Austrian peaks were not avalanching. So I tried UTube- down the ether or Newcastle murk and the falling leaves.

Finally, I got 'Happy' and something about a Room without a Roof-------------------on UTube

Only one snag. I can't stop it- it's on a loop or something. :bow: :bow: :bow:

Norman

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2014, 06:22:09 AM »
Working fine here Steve
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline mattinker

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2014, 06:33:20 AM »
Working fine here too, recently I had videos from the US (but not Canada) all running slow with "holes" in them. It could well be  a "Flash" issue as Tom says

Regards, Matthew

Offline DavidA

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2014, 08:01:38 AM »
I haven't been able to view youtube video from this site on my laptop fora very long time.

When I want to view I have to change to a different machine.  So it must be something on the laptop that is causing it.  The laptop runs XP and the desk top has vista.  Another desktop has Linux.

I have noticed that my Virgin Media often blocks everything when searching.

There is also something about proxy servers that muddies the water.

Dave.

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2014, 09:41:58 AM »
Okay, thanks guys, it must be local to the computers, and I'll work it out from here. Since it resulted after a browser update, that's the likely cause and I'll head to the Mozlla site. I'm thinking it's an interaction of the browser with Flash. I do also use Flashblock, but that has never interfered in the past, it just asks permission to run Flash before allowing it. Now there's nothing to allow at all.

I'll report the solution here when I find it in case anyone else has the problem.
Steve

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2014, 02:58:22 PM »
Looks like the latest update to my browser broke Flashblock. I've reported the bug.

If I drop Flashblock temporarily, looks like I can run Flash, and see YouTube again. I might revert to the prior browser version instead. I like to keep Flashblock. I imagine a fix will appear in the next update.

FYI, the browser is "Seamonkey" --  a renamed Firefox and Thunderbird plus WYSIWYG Web Page editor combined into one package -- still a Mozilla product and using common code.

Basically it's the current incarnation of the old Netscape Navigator suite, running the current Mozilla/Firefox browser and email engines.
Steve