Author Topic: The Artful Bodger made some, um, 'furniture'!  (Read 6194 times)

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
The Artful Bodger made some, um, 'furniture'!
« on: April 13, 2009, 03:50:11 AM »
One...

Two...

Three...

:med:

From the den of The Artful Bodger

bogstandard

Re: The Artful Bodger made some, um, 'furniture'!
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 04:48:50 AM »
John,

I hate wasted space, especially in my crowded shop. Every spare square inch should be utilised.

I had a couple of short worktop bits left over, and utilised them for making a 'strong' shelf where I store my heavyweight lathe gear. All the extra weight will hold the lathe down as well.

Great minds think alike.

I notice your lathe is slightly different to mine, you have the 'civilised' position on the apron for the saddle traverse wheel. Less burnt back to hands from hot swarf.

Bogs

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 04:52:20 AM »
Yes, we do tend to cram things in don't we  :lol:

Nice idea, every sq inch counts  :thumbup:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 05:18:15 AM »
John, the 'manual' with my lathe shows both types of apron.  It must be something they do/did to meet customer practices or something.

I like your shelf for 'heavies' though I swear I dont want to lift the four jaw chuck from floor level very often!  You will notice I have taken out the sheet that is normally between the lathe stands so that I can reach the coolant tank etc, for some odd reason there is no door in the front of the right hand stand and with the lathe against the wall I can not easily get at the tank if it is in the alloted space,  so on the floor it goes!

I did consider replacing the brake pedal with a 'bump bar' just below the drip tray, something to lean against to stop the machine.  Where it is with the lathe raised on blocks is not very convenient and if it was out of the way I could have made a tool trolley to park under there when the lathe is not in use.  I have to keep the space around it fairly clear as it is part of my wife's garage space.

Darren, the swing away is not really good use of space but it puts the tools in a handy position for use, I dont want anything to drop off the top of the gear head, last time that happened I was in the middle of doing something a bit tense and it scared the wits out of me (what there were)!

Can you believe that tray is the lid off a modem!  A 48K modem!  I have been storing junk for a long time.. ::)

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 05:22:58 AM »
I hadn't realised it swings  :doh: I assumed you pulled it out and it was resting on something.. :ddb:

A modem lid...my, havn't things changed  :thumbup:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 05:06:27 PM »
Darren, the support is that black thing you can see in picture 'two'. 25mm square thin gauge, it seems to be strong enough.  The hinges are 12mm bolts welded to the fixed brackets and turning in nuts welded to the swinging bracket.