Author Topic: Clock auto-winding mechanism  (Read 4654 times)

Offline wilfb

Clock auto-winding mechanism
« on: January 06, 2015, 04:55:56 PM »
Hi all, having built a skeleton wall clock that was based on a wooden clock design but was made in Perspex and woks on a chain weight. I have now got it to run. The problem is that it needs winding every 7 hours. I have been told that you can make an auto-winding mechanism using a small low voltage  motor. Can someone explain how it works and any drawings would be helpful.
Have attached two photos not sure if they will work as it is the first time I have posted photos.   

Offline SwarfnStuff

Re: Clock auto-winding mechanism
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2015, 11:49:33 PM »
Nice clock.  :thumbup: Could you not just lengthen the chain? My German made Cuckoo has chain to run 25 hours. So, get up / out of bed = pull the chains. (No not that chain. Anyway that is a button.) So I can at a pinch get an hour extra in bed. Sorry, can't really help with the self wind but expect there to be something on the slack chain to trip a micro-switch and gear to pull the chain till another switch is tripped.
Converting good metal into swarf sometimes ending up with something useful. ;-)

Offline Lew_Merrick_PE

Re: Clock auto-winding mechanism
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 11:45:51 AM »
Wilf,

I would assume that some sort of down position sensor would be used to turn the motor on and another up position sensor would be used to turn the motor off.  I would further assume that you need some type of clutch to disengage the motor when it is not needed.  A Spragg-type clutch leaps to what is left of my mind for that application.  They are fairly simple to make -- just very finicky on the fit-up.  I usually use dowel pins for the roller grab/release part of the mechanism.

I would also be careful to select some sort of low-speed motor for this application.  Winding the pendulum chain at (say) 1600 rpm might get exciting...