Author Topic: A shed in turmoil.  (Read 10362 times)

Offline DavidA

A shed in turmoil.
« on: December 15, 2014, 04:32:02 PM »
Thought I post a few pictures of my ongoing shed shuffle.

I will give me an incentive to press on and finish the job.
All this is to allow me to get my Denfod lathe across into it's final position. And,  maybe more importantly to get the BMW inside to work on it.

Basically I ad to just move everything to one end and pile it up so I had enough room to get the (borrowed0 pallet truck under the lathe and move it from the 'annex' into the main shed.

Now the real work begins.
Dave.

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
Re: A shed in turmoil.
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 05:15:34 PM »
I feel your pain!!!!  :coffee:
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline mexican jon

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2014, 05:40:01 PM »
That Workshop looks Cozy  :D
People say you only live once ! I say thank F@*K can't afford to do it twice.

Offline Swarfing

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2014, 06:10:34 PM »
I'm jealous as he has visible floor space, rarely seen these days in mine
Once in hole stop digging.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2014, 03:24:56 AM »
Pop a container in the front garden. Move everything into it, then sort the workshop and move it back.

Years ago I had to get our Livingstone service centre though their first BSI 5750 / ISO 9001 inspection. The local manager had assured me everything was ready, but I went up there the day before just in case. Sure the paper work was fine but the workshop looked, well a bit like yours! First impressions count! I hired a 40 foot lorry, put it in the car park, and had the staff work to near midnight stripping the shop and putting all the junk in the lorry. Just left the bare essentials. They passed with flying colors.  :lol:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline DavidA

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2014, 07:52:58 AM »
I wish I could afford to get a container.  Mind you,  there is nowhere to put it.  As for the visible floor space,  I need to make a lot more as the BMW has to come in as well, The Lathe will be moved further inside  to the back wall; not visible on the pics but behind the partition with all the bits hanging from it.
While it is quite cosy,  it is actually bigger than it looks on the photos.
 A hint I will pass on is that when you make a shed,  make as much as possible as 'bolt-on' panels. Then you can remove a panel or two if you need to gain access for the entry of machines etc.  There is a bolt on wall between the end of the lathe and the bandsaw. Only fixed with eight twelve mil bolts. It really helps being able to remove it. Also the end wall facing the drive can be taken out the same way.
I'm going to have to build a further extension to take a lot of the 'stuff' or my floor will become cluttered again. But at least I can move around to use the saws etc.
I would have preferred to place the lathe (after cleaning,  it is in 'as bought' condition at the moment') in the small warm outhouse,  but it won't fit.

I need to get the job done as my great grandson entered the world two days ago and he will need some place to work on his projects when he gets older.

Ah well,  back to it.

Dave.

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2014, 11:10:55 AM »
Sounds like you have a plan, Dave! Looking forward to the transformation.  :coffee:

I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2014, 12:09:06 PM »
My first workshop was a 6'x8' shed at the bottom of the garden with a hole strategically bored in the side wall in line with the lathe spindle so long bars could project  :lol:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Will_D

• National Homebrew Club of Ireland
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2014, 04:24:36 PM »
I need to get the job done as my great grandson entered the world two days ago and he will need some place to work on his projects when he gets older.
Ha ha! nearly as old as me then! Congrats on the gg.

My great grandson is nearly 14 months old now and is comming to stay over Christmas.

I think he's a bit young for the "how to cut metric threads on your (eventual) ML7 lessons" but I am sure me and great granny ( If you think SWMBOB is a pain wait until she aquires GreatGrannyStatus in the family) will find some suitable prezzies!

PS: Joke today:

Qn: Why do Grandparents and Grandchildren get on so well?

Ans: Coz they share a common enemy :bugeye:
Engineer and Chemist to the NHC.ie
http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie/forum/

Offline DavidA

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2014, 07:35:52 AM »
Will,

Thanks for that.

Actually he is my third great grand child.  I hit seventy back in August this year. Decided it was time to give up work and let the others have a chance.
I don't suppose I will be around when he cuts his first thread,  but you never know.
I asked him if he wanted to be an engineer,  physicist or a mathematician. But he is still undecided.

Dave.

Offline DavidA

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2015, 07:32:54 AM »
Managed to move the Denford lathe across the shed to the other side. As it is very heavy (for a small lathe) and it now has the EMCO milling attachments fitted, which makes it a bit unstable, I pondered for a while on how to do it.  In the end I cut eight six inch lengths of pipe and used them as rollers.  My wife was not happy about having to keep placing them strategically,  but I was the one with the crow bar. Never happy, women.

I now have a similar problem to Andrew in that the headstock end is only a couple of inch from the wall.  So I can't open the gear train cover or pass a bar through the headstock mandrel.  But the plan is to move that particular wall a yard or so.

Ah well, finished my coffee. Time to go out into the cold.

Dave.

Offline backofanenvelope

• !5 Minute Modeller
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2015, 08:53:18 AM »
Good luck and it is cold out there. I have put a requisition order for some fingerless gloves..

TomC
*** Master Guild of Procrastinators ***