Author Topic: Pen's n Pencils  (Read 10820 times)

Offline Ginger Nut

Pen's n Pencils
« on: February 13, 2015, 11:41:27 PM »
A mate produced whats become known as worthless wood blanks for these pencils, scrap off cuts I gave him of burls set in acrylic.

The Fountain Pen & Roller Ball pens a variety of Acrylics and some timbers the latter being Spalted Mango, Bull Oak with laminated Cedar strip in centre, New Guinea Rosewood, Camphor Laurel cross cut, English Oak with Wenge.

I did these pen kits all up as the kits are no longer available from suppliers and neither are spare parts. :doh:. The 6 facet grip has been replaced with a 12 facet type and in a different style kit altogether.

RobWilson

Re: Pen's n Pencils
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2015, 02:47:55 AM »
Dam fine looking pens Ginger Nut  :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :thumbup:

I have often fancied having ago at pen making  :dremel:

Rob

Offline Ginger Nut

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2015, 09:43:04 PM »

Rob

:Doh: oh no don't do it its a slippery slope

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2015, 11:04:04 PM »

Rob

They are fine looking!

Another member here does pens as well. I have seen a few pictures of his and have debated with myself (losing mind you) about doing some in the future. Seems to me like they would make great gifts!

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Ginger Nut

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2015, 05:47:56 PM »

Rob

They are fine looking!

Another member here does pens as well. I have seen a few pictures of his and have debated with myself (losing mind you) about doing some in the future. Seems to me like they would make great gifts!

Eric

Thanks Eric yes great as gifts and the range of kits is never ending I do sell on occasions it only tops up funds for tool spending for metal work or wood work.
I do have a mate who sells enough to afford a trip to Bali this year he's decided on a cruise instead. BUT he is only into making pens.

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2015, 09:25:13 PM »

Thanks Eric yes great as gifts and the range of kits is never ending I do sell on occasions it only tops up funds for tool spending for metal work or wood work.
I do have a mate who sells enough to afford a trip to Bali this year he's decided on a cruise instead. BUT he is only into making pens.

Just curious... how much does he sell them for?
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Ginger Nut

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2015, 10:15:24 PM »

Just curious... how much does he sell them for?

You can check his site out http://www.huntervalleycustompens.com/

Offline howsitwork?

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2015, 04:52:14 PM »
Ginger Nut- nice work mate!

Pen making is fun and (can be ) quick depending upon the style and how fine a finish you want. There are loads of kits from Penn state (http://www.pennstateind.com/store/pen-kits.html) in the USA.  And they delivered to our holiday address in Florida!  cos the family made me promise I wouldn't VISIT a tool store whilst on holiday! wonderful thing the internet! ( devious !! Who ? me ? )

Here in uk,  Axminster power tools are good http://www.axminster.co.uk/woodturning-crafts/woodturning.

It is highly addictive though. Mind you making the mandrells and bushes you need for all the different sizes and shapes links both hobbies and kept me busy for a few days. Thought of hardening the bushes but decided not too.

With acrylic I finish down to 12,000 grit (not a misprint!) dust extraction is a must and above 600 grit I sand wet. Looks good but I hate the smell of the damn stuff. Just got some cactus juice stabilizer resin so going to experiment soon ! Ginger did you make those wood/acrylic blanks under vacuum?

Keep up the good work

Offline Ginger Nut

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2015, 10:19:53 PM »
Ginger Nut- nice work mate!

Pen making is fun and (can be ) quick depending upon the style and how fine a finish you want. There are loads of kits from Penn state (http://www.pennstateind.com/store/pen-kits.html) in the USA.  And they delivered to our holiday address in Florida!  cos the family made me promise I wouldn't VISIT a tool store whilst on holiday! wonderful thing the internet! ( devious !! Who ? me ? )

Here in uk,  Axminster power tools are good http://www.axminster.co.uk/woodturning-crafts/woodturning.

It is highly addictive though. Mind you making the mandrells and bushes you need for all the different sizes and shapes links both hobbies and kept me busy for a few days. Thought of hardening the bushes but decided not too.

With acrylic I finish down to 12,000 grit (not a misprint!) dust extraction is a must and above 600 grit I sand wet. Looks good but I hate the smell of the damn stuff. Just got some cactus juice stabilizer resin so going to experiment soon ! Ginger did you make those wood/acrylic blanks under vacuum?

Keep up the good work

Yes some excellent kits and suppliers abound here downunder also have one fellow 20mins away 15 if I was driving LOL. www.Timberbits.com.au OR www.GPW.com.au OR www Perfectpens&pencils.com.au

Thanks for the comments sadly I didn't do the work to produce the blanks a mate has all the gear he's about 150k away. i just send up what I want done and he did these.
Yes all done under vaccum and Cactus Juice method a variety of acryilc types used as this was his first batch, call it experimental.  I believe its the cooking of them in a sandwhich maker which gets hairy.

There is a fellow in the UK George does exceptional works using Aussie burl blanks making lidded vessels. Damn if I can find his page.

No pens for some time. Time to get some serious wood turning done after finishing a spinning wheel http://www.getwoodworking.com/forums/postings.asp?th=104404&p=1#1796002 and more importantly get time on the steel part of my life and the myford ML7.