Author Topic: Adicted to woodturning  (Read 31545 times)

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
  • Machinist Extraordinaire
Re: Adicted to woodturning
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2013, 07:39:19 PM »
Thanks for the compliments!

Here is the finished bowl.

I am trying to work my way through this Honey locust. I have a few pieces left. I did manage a few smaller bowls and a 13" platter. The big bowl here is 10 1/2" in diameter.

This sure is pretty wood:o)

Thanks for watching:o)

~Wes~
Wesley P
A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright; but if it's dirty and dull it wont mater at all...

Offline micktoon

« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2013, 02:48:14 PM »
Hi Wes Nice turnings as usual , you seem to be getting a nice finish on the ones that were not sanded  :thumbup: , I like the axe in the background of the photos too .
  Cheers Mick

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2013, 03:28:19 PM »
Somehow, I missed this posting Wes!  :scratch:

There's a lot of lovely colours and shades, hiding inside those logs.  :thumbup:

Beautiful work, as usual. Well done!  :clap: :clap:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2013, 06:41:37 PM »
Haha!!! It's not much of an axe. I got it in a box of junk. It's a piece of 10 gauge welded to a piece of pipe :lol:

~Wes~
Wesley P
A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright; but if it's dirty and dull it wont mater at all...

Offline micktoon

« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2013, 05:40:56 PM »
 Ha ha Wes , I thought it looked like something a Viking would be equiped with  :lol:   :palm:

Cheers Mick

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2013, 02:49:36 AM »
Viking?  I can clearly see the indian in the photo!  :D

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2013, 09:49:33 AM »
Yesterday morning I woke to the sounds of Chainsaws:o) The neighbor was having their trees taken out.

One had a few burls on it and the fellow taking it down said I could have them. I had helped him with one big branch that was growing out way over the house. I didn't get a picture but the 12" plus branch had a 8" hollow hole through the center. They were lucky It didn't end up on their house in a wind storm. He said I could take as much as I wanted:o)

A few of the pieces had red streaks in them. They are caused by the ambrosia beetle. They will make beautiful bowls!

I had a small piece of crotch section and turned a plate really quick. It turned out nice:o)

Stay tuned for more box elder madness:o)

~Wes~
Wesley P

Offline piper1

« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2014, 07:04:06 PM »
Awesome, what a pleasure to the eye. 

Offline howsitwork?

« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2015, 04:56:41 PM »
Wes

what finish are you using on the bowls and platters? I've tried tung oil and then left in card board box with paper in it, changing paper every week or two and seems to work. Ie no splits so far

Offline Meldonmech

« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2015, 09:45:35 AM »

Hi Wes, the new lathe is certainly paying for itself, amazing production. Like the grain and colour of the juniper. Looks like some big bowls on the horizon.

Lovely Work
                                                                           Cheers David