Author Topic: Plain and Ornamental Forging  (Read 2880 times)

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
Plain and Ornamental Forging
« on: May 13, 2008, 07:03:05 AM »
Plain and Ornamental Forging
by: Ernst Schwarztkopf
Astragal Press
original copyrights ©1916,1930
reprint copyright©2000
ISBN#1-879335-95-6
trade paperback

Right up front, I am not a smith. I have done a limited amount of smithy type iron work. I found this one when I was looking for a book that covered some of the more decorative work. Referred to as art forgings. After seeing the demo's on the web and some of the tools that are used for it. I will say that most have had there start if not there total origins in this book.
Composed of 12 chapters starting with the properties of iron moving on to the forge, and then to tools. With a brief description and either uses or what section its use is in.
Then come the practice exercises,simple stuff to start, hammer wedges,meat hook, S hook, staples and forging nails.
As the parties knowledge base is built up after the explanations then through the exercises.
Moving on up through welding, forging and forging exercises.
On to the properties of steel, annealing, hardening and tempering. Tool making, Advance forging some power hammer with the steam hammer covered along with the tools for the power hammer.
Finishing up with the art forging exercises, of mostly flowers and leaves including making leaves with angle iron, hammered metal work and a small section on Repousee or embossed work, leaf hammering and the acanthus leaf.
The appendix has a bunch of old timey stuff like drilling a square hole, twisting band iron cold. And some welding tips for some of the new stuff.(at the time 1916/1930)
All in all I have to say that this book is worth twice the price that it cost, 280 some pages, crisp clear line drawings of the items and processes being discussed. This is a winner, it is one of the foundation books of the new blacksmithing. Whether some of the people in the trade will admit it or not.

This is one that turns up at the libraries as a general info book on blacksmithing
"The internet just a figment, of my imagination!' 

There are only 3 things I can't do!"
Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
and I'm working on the first two!
glen