Author Topic: Cast iron?  (Read 5072 times)

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
Cast iron?
« on: April 15, 2009, 03:10:07 AM »
I had a look through my junk pile and I dont think I have any cast iron among it!

There is some old Triumph Vitesse diff. cases, but is that cast iron?  I thought that would be cast steel, what is the practical difference for shop beginners like me?  There is a busted chinese vice under the bench, I suppose that would be 'real' cast iron?

I know where I can pick up some fitness 'plates', round weights up to 20Kgs each which I presume are cast iron.

Precis: Cast iron, cast steel, is there a practical difference a my beginner's level?
From the den of The Artful Bodger

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
Re: Cast iron?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 03:27:25 AM »
Hi John

Cast iron has a high graphite content so is excelent for engine cylinders and bearing surfices as it has a level of selve lubricating. The problem with using weights etc is that the quality of the iron can be variable hard inclusions gas holes etc you just have to try your luck. Cast Iron is also brittle it will break under impact give it a wack with a sledge hammer  :hammer: and it will crack the fracture will be grainey with bright shiney bits, you won't get this with cast steel.

Also when you machine it you won't get stringy swarf you tend to get crumbly dust thats will leave your machine black with graphite. Another feature of cast iron is that its subject to chill hardening this means the surface where its cooled quickest can be hard and a bitch to machine you have to get under the skin by taking a big initial cut preferably starting at a broken face, once this surface is gone it machines lovely.

Hope this helps

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 08:57:31 AM »
There is a busted chinese vice under the bench, I suppose that would be 'real' cast iron?

That could be somebody's car from the U.S. of A. that got recycled. Might contain some other metals too!  :lol:

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 10:36:40 AM »
Not sure what the diff casing would be? I always assumed cast iron too?

Offline ozzie46

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 11:10:50 AM »

If you are near a farming community see if you can pick up a small tractor wheel  weight or front end tractor weight.

I just got one about 18 in to 2 feet dia. Cut it up on my 4 x 6 band saw. CAREFULLY. There is enough material there for several years of projects.  Cost $20.00 U.S.  Weighed about 85 to 100 lbs.

Cut like butter. Better than window sash weights.

Ron

« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 11:13:11 AM by ozzie46 »

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 03:04:07 PM »
Good idea Ron,  I will keep those in mind next time I am near a farm.
From the den of The Artful Bodger

Offline cedge

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009, 08:58:21 PM »
Ron
Pure Genius!!  I've got a good friend who does large farm equipment auctions. Stuff like tractor counter weights and wheel weights tend to accumulate in the corners of his shop area. Come to think of it, he sometimes gets the odd lot of surplus metals too. About time to take the dear boy to lunch, me thinks.

Steve