Author Topic: Hello from Oregon!  (Read 6428 times)

Offline Anasazi

Hello from Oregon!
« on: December 25, 2014, 08:33:07 PM »
Hello from Astoria Oregon.  I am new to machining.  Purchased  a 1947 9" South Bend lathe in excellent condition, I am the second owner!
I built a new bench for it and then had to take about 5 months break due to cancer treatments.  Feeling better now and going to head back to the shop to have some fun!  Merry Christmas to all!  The photo below is as purchased.  I drove to Arizona for this one!  The hollow oil soaked door needed replacing so I built a new bench.  I used old growth strait grain Douglas Fur for the top.  It is stout now.
link below for a few picts of my lathe and bench.

http://s1324.photobucket.com/user/Anasazi2/library/40s%2050s%20Navy%20Housing%20Metal%20Detecting%20Finds/Machining

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Re: Hello from Oregon!
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2014, 08:50:46 PM »
Hi Anasazi

Welcome to MadModder and a Merry Chrisdtmas to you as well.

Glad to hear that you are feeling better and are ready to put those tools to use making some swarf. If you have any questions just ask as there is usually someone around to answer or comment on them.  :D :D

Cheers  :beer:

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline Anasazi

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2014, 09:10:26 PM »
Thanks!  I have been really wanting to get back at it.  Thinking about making a ER 32 chuck for it, spindle 1 1/2 "x 8 TPI , only snag is the metric threads I need to cut for the cap.  Metric transposing gear set not in my stocking this year.   I'll figure it out.

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2014, 05:40:16 AM »
Hi
Welcome to the forum
That is a nice looking lathe you have
John

Offline DMIOM

• Isle of Man
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2014, 07:11:21 AM »
Hi Anasazi & welcome to our mad world  :mmr:

Thanks!  I have been really wanting to get back at it.  Thinking about making a ER 32 chuck for it, spindle 1 1/2 "x 8 TPI , only snag is the metric threads I need to cut for the cap.  Metric transposing gear set not in my stocking this year.   I'll figure it out.

So long as the internal taper is the right dimensions, I don't think there's any reason why the external closing cap thread must be metric - that's only necessary if you're using a bought-in closing nut.  As I see it, you could cut both the outside of the collet holder and the nut with any thread within reason, imperial should be just as good as metric so long as they match.....

Dave

Offline krv3000

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2014, 11:29:36 AM »
Hi and welcume

Offline Anasazi

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2014, 04:24:05 PM »
Thanks to all for the kind welcome!  I have been searching the want ads for a small knee mill.  Hope to find one.  I live on the wrong coast in my country for machine deals, the east is where lathes and milling machines grow on trees, so I have to search more diligently.  :coffee:  My lathe is proof of that.  Sometimes a road trip is necessary to acquire new additions to the shop, and a good long drive is nice every now and then .     Michael

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2014, 06:00:04 PM »
Hi Michael, welcome!! Glad to hear you're on the mend and will be making tooling for your new lathe. Looking forward to your ER32 project! :wave: :beer:
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline mechman48

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2015, 05:34:25 PM »
Hi Michael & welcome.  :wave:

Happy to hear you're feeling better, I can empathise with you re Cancer.. have got the T shirt myself.. 6 yrs remission now but still have annual checks, just enjoy our MadModders world. nice bit iof kt you have.  :headbang:  :headbang:
George
George.

Always look on the bright side of life, & remember.. KISS..' Keep It Simple Stupid'

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2015, 12:38:52 PM »
Hi Michael  :wave:

Welcome to the collective :borg:

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline AussieJimG

• In Memoriam
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2015, 09:48:58 PM »
Hi Michael and welcome from the great south land

Jim

Offline Meldonmech

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2015, 04:28:24 AM »

Hi Michael

Welcome to MadModder, that's a great sold bench you've built. Having both wheels and height adjustment make it a perfect base for a very good looking lathe.
                                                                            Cheers  David

Offline howsitwork?

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2015, 05:24:28 PM »
keep an eye on RDG tooling site. Not sure of postage but they are looking into doing a boxford  mount er32.
 Boxford lathes use the same 1 1/2" by 8tpi register as Southbend. The accessories are pretty interchangeable as well. Just make sure you check the centre height as some are 4 1/2" in and some are 5"

Nice looking bench!