Author Topic: Christmas presant  (Read 6629 times)

Offline scout800

Christmas presant
« on: December 26, 2014, 12:35:50 PM »
Hello Gentlemen , my uncle brought this over and gave it to me for Christmas. I've allways wanted one and have enjoyed watching this one run in the years past, what a nice gift. I'm not sure of the year of the machine i typed in the serial number on the computer but found nothing . It says  John Deere 1 1/4 horse power on the side and 300 rpm. If anyone knows how old it is please chime in. By the way it has about a 4 foot smoke stack not shown in pic and blows smoke rings when running, pretty cool . Thanx for looking
                                                           Dave.

Offline steampunkpete

Re: Christmas presant
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2014, 02:37:25 AM »
To my untutored eye it looks very much like the 1 1/2 HP to be seen at http://www.wheatfarm.com/jd_engine/ (dated 1941)
and
(dated 1926)

A magazine article gives the Model E serial numbers by date (see page 2)
http://www.gasenginemagazine.com/Gas-Engines/The-John-Deere-Model-E-Gasoline-Engine.aspx

The serial number on your engine appears to be an "S" rather than a "5", which means that either the man doing the stamping of the brass tags didn't have enough good "5" punches or yours isn't a Model E. If the former, yours is a 1931 Model E.

The fitting for the smoke stack on your machine looks like a later addition.

Offline BaronJ

• Grumpy Old Git !
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2014, 10:02:55 AM »
It looks as if it could be a 1932 model "S".  Either way it's a very nice gift.
Best Regards:
                     Baron

Offline steampunkpete

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2014, 12:06:16 PM »
Yup, great uncle - I wish I had one like that.

I had a good Google but couldn't find a reference to a "Type S" or "Model S" stationary engine. Has it got another name?

Offline scout800

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2014, 04:56:15 PM »
Thanx for the info Gentlemen, I checked the serial number and it's 321185 , according to steampunk's link , gas engine magazine that number falls in the year 1931. The elbow for smoke stack is an add on , originally it had a little muffler there . My uncle added the elbow and made the smoke stack out of an old drive shaft. He thought it looked neater with stack, I tend to agree. Thanx for the help.
                                                                          Dave.